Preemies
Options

Csection after preemie?

So, as many of you know I had CJ at 25.4 weeks and needed an emergency csection. I am pregnant again and don't qualify for a VBAC, I was wondering has anyone been in my shoes? The MFM is thinking of taking this baby sooner rather than later to prevent later if baby's lungs are developed. 
Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!

Re: Csection after preemie?

• Options
    Congrats on your beautiful boys!  My OB said a repeat c/s is a must because my uterus was cut vertically.  He said they would monitor me carefully, and if all went well, I would go 36 or 37 weeks.  This was at my follow-up appointment, so I really wasn't listening because we aren't planning on getting pregnant for a while :)    He also said they wouldn't do an amnio to check for lung maturity because of the technology of the nicu if needed. interesting!
    Good luck to you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    Like PPs, I was also a classical (vertical) cut c-section, so all future pregnancies (we'll likely try for a 3rd) will also be a c-section. I remember them telling me this on the operating table. Like, at that point, I cared! Ha! I forget how early they will likely schedule -- I think I heard they might not let me go beyond 38 weeks to ensure I don't go into labor on my own with the risk of rupture associated with that. Not sure. In either case, when we are ready to talk #3, I'll be scheduling time with an MFM to talk through all aspects of said hypothetical pregnancy!
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told that a repeat c-section was the best option as well even though I have a vertical skin incision and a transverse uterine incision.  Not really sure how that happened as I was put under general very quickly, but whatever worked I guess!  The thing that is bothering me this time is that I asked my MFM if he would use the same vertical skin incision and he said 'it depends'...well, if he decides to due a low transverse skin incision with this one I am going to have an anchor shaped scar!  Don't get me wrong, the jig is already up with a scar from belly-button to bikini line, but it would be nice to just use what is already there! 
  • Options
    I also had a vertical (classical) c-section.  We have been trying for #2 and have been advised that if all goes well  I will likely deliver between 36-37 weeks.  For this same reason they are very strongly urging that I do everything I can to avoid multiples (we are undergoing fertility treatments).  Does anyone know of any research or anectdotal stories of women delivering twins after a vertical c-section for a prior pregnancy?  
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    Thanks for all the responses. He wants to get me close to 36 weeks then will do the amino 
    Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!
  • Options
    mmookimmooki member
    I have no idea what sort of incision I had last time, (is that bad of me??) but the dr said I am a good candidate for a vbac this time around. We will see though
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    XathXath member
    I haven't qualified for a VBAC either time since we had all 3 kids so close together.  We're looking at putting a little more space between, so we'll see next time.  I had a rupture with my 2nd, but my OB said he'd think about it if everything was looking good.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    takmjstakmjs member
    I was told that I have a vertical uterine incision, but my skin incision is horizontal. Was told I could try for  VBAC if I want to, but since I have an odd-shaped uterus (bicornuate with a complete split), I don't think I would try, b/c I honestly think baby would get stuck and I would end up having a c-section anyway. I don't know, and I honestly haven't thought a ton about it b/c I just don't have a great feeling about me getting far enough along to make that choice. If the time comes and I make it to at least 35-36 weeks, I'll think about it more. I don't want to stress about it now when it may never be an option. Some hospitals/doctors are more willing to do VBACs, so if you're really interested, you may want to look into that if you have options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"