Stay at Home Moms

Private parts

What do your Los call their private parts?

Re: Private parts

• We use correct anatomical names in our house.
  • Penis and testicles. When discussing girl parts we use vagina and breasts.
  • Loading the player...
  • Penis Butt
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Front bottom and back bottom. Don't worry, she knows the real words, she prefers to use these though. 10 is a weird age.
  • Boobs, butt, vulva.
  • We use correct names for all parts.  I read some where that kids who can correctly name their private body a parts are less likely to be sexually abused. 

~Mama to two daughters and baby #3 coming soon~
  • Twig and berries. Lol he knows that it is a penis though. Im not worried.
    Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Penis and bottom. He also knows vagina, breasts (but he says boobs), and nipples.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Vagina, penis, bottom and boobies.
  • DS says peni...DD says lady parts

They both say bottom/bootie and chest.

• Penis, vagina (yes, I know vulva is the technical term, they stuck with vagina and I decided it's close enough), breasts and butt. I never considered doing anything but the real names.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Penis (but he pronounces it 'pieces' lol), butt, nipples, boobs, and we haven't really talked about testicles or vagina yet.....
  • By their anatomically correct names.  Penis, testicles, vulva, nipples.
    This...except  DD has trouble remembering "vulva" and has said "I have not a penis" a few times when she can't remember the right word. I don't think they know the word "vagina" yet, as it's not something I am showing them.

They do know anus.
  • Vagina, penis, crotch, bum or butt, boobies

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• LC122LC122 member
    lala5507 said:

We use correct names for all parts.  I read some where that kids who can correctly name their private body a parts are less likely to be sexually abused. 

It's less about them being able to name them and more about an abuser using different words. If you teach your child to call it a vagina and one day they call it their cupcake, you should ask where they learned that. Abusers are less likely to use anatomical names and more likely to come up with other names.
  • Vagina has not really come up yet, though I am surprised DS has not asked.  We use penis, testicles, boobs (mine), nipples (kids), doops for butt. I have no idea where it came from, but my whole family uses it. I *think* it comes from "dupa" which supposedly means butt in Polish. 

• joirish said:

I'm always surprised by the number of people on here that say vulva. I know it's accurate but I don't know anyone who says it. DH is an ob/gyn and he says vagina as a general term for external female reproductive organs. He obviously knowa and uses the terms for specific parts of the pelvic anatomy (labia, mons), but vulva doesn't come up much. Idk why. Maybe because vagina is what most patients are familiar with?

Maybe this is why my 30 something year old SIL didn't know what her vulva was. Or she had  crappy sex ed in school! :) 

Related, the other day when changing DS's diaper, DD1 says, "So, I guess boys have a bone in their penis? That's why it's hard like that? We don't have bones in our vagina."

So many potential inappropriate responses to that statement!

• Vagina has not really come up yet, though I am surprised DS has not asked.  We use penis, testicles, boobs (mine), nipples (kids), doops for butt. I have no idea where it came from, but my whole family uses it. I *think* it comes from "dupa" which supposedly means butt in Polish. 

We sometimes use dupa too because my aunt always did. Didn't know it was Polish! She is an aunt by marriage but I think she is actually Polish :)
    My roommate in college said dupa. She said it was Polish.

• Penis, Vagina, Breasts, Nipples and Bottom 

DD says, "Bagina" 
  • Weiner and bootie so far for DS.

DD1 isn't 2 yet so just says bootie too.

And DS says boobs.
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We also use the correct terms penis, testicles, vagina, breasts, nipples, etc..

My mom called our vagina's "peachies" growing up and I still cringe at that, icck!! lol My friend had a bird name peachie and it confused me so bad, lol

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • And when I was pregnant with DD2, one day DS (still 3.5 at the time) walked in the bathroom after my shower, pointed to my nipples, and said "What are those big humongous brown things?" *sigh*
    DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pedi always tells DS at his well-child visits that he has to check for 2 beans and a bag. LOL! But he also said Mommy, Daddy, and his doctor can see his privates but that's it for adults, which I like. (DS knows my parents, Papa and Yaya, are safe people too). So DS usually calls them his privates.
  • And when I was pregnant with DD2, one day DS (still 3.5 at the time) walked in the bathroom after my shower, pointed to my nipples, and said "What are those big humongous brown things?" *sigh*

DS1 calls them gagas since that was his term for nursing. When I was pregnant and my nipples were really dark he asked why I had mud all over my gagas. Then when I was nursing DS2 in the hospital he asked if DS2 was eating my "dirty gagas."

• LC122 said:
    We use correct names for all parts.  I read some where that kids who can correctly name their private body a parts are less likely to be sexually abused. 
    It's less about them being able to name them and more about an abuser using different words. If you teach your child to call it a vagina and one day they call it their cupcake, you should ask where they learned that. Abusers are less likely to use anatomical names and more likely to come up with other names.
    Yeah, that's what I meant but you said it better.  Thank you!

• My thinking also is, you call your arm you arm, legs are legs.  Why do you have to give a vagina a nickname.  Isn't it just another body part?

• KateMW said:
    Front bottom and back bottom. Don't worry, she knows the real words, she prefers to use these though. 10 is a weird age.
    So is 8. She says "that area down there".  But she learned vagina and penis and has ALWAYS used those words.  All of a sudden at 8 it's "down there" .. I'm not sure if it's an age embarrassment thing or what.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • For DS: penis, testicles, bottom, nipples (though he says nibs). Often we call his bottom his tushie though

He hasn't noticed yet that Dd doesn't have a penis but for her it will be vagina, bottom, nipples.

DS also knows boobies

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lala5507 said:
    My thinking also is, you call your arm you arm, legs are legs.  Why do you have to give a vagina a nickname.  Isn't it just another body part?
    Eh, I think it's an embarrassment thing. I know I wouldn't want A to go around yelling 'vagina!', but I'm kind of a prude that way ;) I still think it's a good idea to give them the correct names though, just in case something horrible did happen and you would know since they started calling their vagina, penis, or any other private part a cutesy name.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • #TeamVulva here. The vagina is but one part of the whole. When I was a kid my family called them "privates" or "private parts" and I thought it was ridiculous to have to wait until 5th grade sex ed to learn anatomical names.

We call things mostly anatomical names but sometimes use slang like "buns," "balls," or "boobs." Kid's not talking much yet so we'll see what terms he's comfortable with when we get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"