October 2014 Moms
Options

Do you go by weeks or months?

Now that we are in the grey area (at least for me) with timing, I'm always confused about this.  I'm sure I'm over thinking it too so I will put that out there right away.  Also, I feel like a total newb asking this question!

21 weeks = 5 months but I still have 19 weeks left = 5 months 

So my one aunt asks me how far along I am and says, "don't give me any of that weeks crap, how many months?"  So I told her 5.  She then did the math and said "oh so only four months left, well 16 weeks isn't so bad!!"

Nope, I told her I have 20 weeks left and she tried to tell me how I was wrong, 4 months doesn't = 20 weeks.  According to her (clearly an expert, can you tell) my dates are off.  WTF?

So anyway, when people ask you, do you use months or weeks?  I've defaulted to "halfway" for the last couple weeks...
Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

Re: Do you go by weeks or months?

• Options
    I go by weeks. But people asume 5 months means 4 months to go, but really we ate actually pregnant 10 months if we make it to 40 weeks. Pregnancy math is confusing. Weeks are easier to go by because it's more exact. Not sure what to do when people don't want the weeks. I just kind of round. 22 weeks, I'm 5 and a half months...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with @lrobi13‌. Depends on who I am talking to. If I am close to a new month mark or not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It really depends on who I'm talking to about it. With H and friends/family who are familiar with the weeks (i.e. have recently had a baby) I use weeks. With coworkers and men in general, I use months. I say 5 months. 

If someone had come back like your Aunt, my response would probably have been "Well, pregnancy is really 10 months, not 9." Or, just smile, nod and go on my way. Depends on if I have the red ass that day or not ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    I go by weeks but I've noticed older generations (my parents and their  55yo+ friends and church members) couldn't care less about weeks...they go strictly off months.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Weeks, or 25%, 50% done, etc....
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Options
    Depends. Lately I've been telling people I am half way. Other new moms I tell them in weeks because they can relate to that. It's harder to convert weeks to months, but if I know what month I am in, I say I am in my 5th month, etc. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    I also go by weeks.  If someone looks confused (and I know them), I will follow up with my EDD.

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Options
    Weeks, but many people ask what month, so I try to have a vague idea of months. Although more people with this pg ask when I'm due.
    p+c 11.6.04  |  +g  2.4.11
     image image
  • Options
    starybstaryb member
    I usually go by weeks but months sounds bigger so if we're talking about my size I'll go with months. Basically, depending on the context of the conversation, I'll say "I'm only 5 months" or "I'm already 51/2 almost 6 months". 

• Options
    I go by weeks. PPs are correct that there are more than 4 weeks in a month except for February.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Other moms I say weeks, strangers I say months. I'm going to be 24 weeks on Wednesday so I'll start saying 6 months even though technically 24 weeks isn't 6 months yet. It's just easier and no one really cares exactly how pregnant I am. 

A month =/= 4 weeks. Pregnancy =/= 10 months. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Options
    I go by weeks with others who have had children. If their children are grown or they have no kids, I go based on calendar date to make it more simple. So for example, baby is due October 10th so starting tomorrow, June 10th, I'll say I'm 5 months along… although I've actually been saying it for the last couple of days since it's so close. I just find it easier for people to understand it that way. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    22 weeks=5 months so you are almost 5 months.  If you had 16 weeks left, you would have less than 4 months left because there are 4 weeks and 2-3 days in most months.  

Gotta love know-it-all's...she sounds like a peach...  

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • Options
    I respond in the same format I was asked. You ask me weeks, you get weeks. You ask me months, you get months.
  • Options
    I mostly go by weeks as I found the whole months thing confusing early on - because it is actually 10 months, not 9.

Lilypie - (urRB)

• Options
    I usually go by weeks unless someone specifically asks how many months

My FurBaby Dexter 4/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC since 07/12
    MC - 03/13
    BFP - 2/9/14 EDD 10/17/14
  • Options
    MorganWPMorganWP member
    edited June 2014
    staryb said:

I found this chart on Pinterest. It's not exact but I've been following it because it's just easier than doing the math. 
    This is great. And kinda scary to think that Im already 6 months along. I usually answer in weeks because its easier for me to remember or just say that Im due in october and let other people figure it out.

Also, if I was going by my last period my DD would've been two weeks overdue. Same with this one, I was estimated to be 10 weeks before the ultrasound showed I was only 8.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I actually go by the date (weird, I know). Since my due date is the 9th and today is the 9th of June, I would say that I'm 5 months because I have 4 months to go. That's the best way I can explain it to people who don't go by weeks.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I second what @mel698 said pregnancy does not equal 10 months there are not only four weeks in a month. For some reason it drives me crazy when people say pregnancy is 10 month.
     image image
  • Options
    I always go by weeks, the months confuse me.
    Funny story.. A couple weeks ago I took my DD out to eat for her birthday so she was getting all these calls while we were eating. Plus this hyper group of teens got sat right next to us. My grandmother called and of course wanted to ask me how I was feeling and she asked me how many months I was. Between the loud teenagers, trying to eat and being like the fifth call I was only half listening and said 18. Still not totally listening she said (very surprised)your 18 months????? I said yes 18 as of today! She yells at me"what are you an elephant!!??"  Haha of course I snapped out of it and corrected myself but thought who goes by months??? Maybe your right, it's the older generation lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I usually say weeks, but now I say "about 5 months" because I have about 4 months to go. I agree with the PPs who say we aren't pregnant for 10 months (assuming 40'weeks). Especially when you consider that we weren't actually pregnant for the first 2 weeks or so. Pregnancy really is 9 months if you carry to term.

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    I just say I'm in the 6th month....the first day of my lmp was Jan. 1, so it's pretty easy for me to figure stuff out;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I go by weeks, but lately I've just been saying halfway. 

BabyFetus Ticker 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   Image and video hosting by TinyPic  
  • Options
    I go by weeks, if they ask what month I normally have to think about it.

• Options

As a few people have mentioned, Doctor's go by weeks, so four weeks is 28 days - one month. But most months aren't 28 days, etc.

So, at 20 weeks, I'm five months and have 5 months to go.

Also, you start counting from the first day of your last period, so really, most people have a week or two, depending on when they ovulated and the sperm implanted, before you're actually pregnant. But you still count those two weeks, medically.

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"