August 2012 Moms

22MO and not saying a single word

Tonight DH and I were talking and he shared concern that he is worried our DD doesn't talk. She babbles ALL THE TIME! but no real words. He researched and she is showing signs of autism. So now were both worried. She shares similar symptoms of autism like flapping her arms a lot (she does it while watching sesame street and it gets her excited), she also doesn't make a lot of eye contact but makes some? doesn't always respond to her name, she is really shy, she dosesnt associate names to things (i'll say wheres the red ball?! and she acts like she isn't listening). She also rarely eats solid foods. Anyone else having a similar situation? I live with my MIL and she's right were wrong. So i'm stressing out!! Any help would be appreciated.
-First Tyme Mom2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker small

Re: 22MO and not saying a single word

• stlmomma27stlmomma27 member
    edited June 2014
    Have you discussed this with your pedi? I would start there. Good luck! 
  • alakealake member
    Leah was the same way.  I took her to our pedi and we realized that she wasn't hearing right.  She had ear tubes put in and her speech from pretty much, nothing to everything in the span of about a week.  Her ears were so clogged that she couldn't understand what people were saying.  The poor girl got born with my ear problems.
  • Loading the player...
  • MoFreeMoFree member
    You should discuss your concerns with your pediatrician. Trust your gut instincts and ask for an EI referral if you think that would be helpful.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • sdlaurasdlaura member
    edited June 2014
    Definitely talk to your pediatrician ASAP. My friend's daughter was evaluated around the same age and was 'tested' on the spectrum. They had two years of EI services and now she does not show any signs of autism and is entering regular kindergarten. For them, knowing about it early made a huge difference.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Thanks for the support she tested on the spectrum and will get evaluated soon!
    -First Tyme Mom2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker small
  • A little late to the party, but I have professional experience in this area, so I just wanted to say...

There are a LOT of great therapies out there and early intervention can improve things dramatically. Good for you for being an observant, proactive parent! 

Your daughter is adorbs, btw.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Did your pedi do yet autism screen at her 15 month appointment? Even if your pedi hasn't seem concerned yet, I would meet soon to discuss your concerns. Like pp have said, it could be her hearing as well but either way, early intervention is important!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"