November 2014 Moms

Class of 2032/ 2033

mommymeg143mommymeg143 member
edited June 2014 in November 2014 Moms
With all the excitement surrounding high school graduations this time of year, I started thinking about my sweet baby graduating.   Holy smokes you guys...our N 14 babies will be in the Class of 2032/2033.  WOW!! 

Married:  08.17.2013
Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

Re: Class of 2032/ 2033

• Oh man - That's a good dose of reality :) 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Totally just got the chills. And realized that I'm old. Yuck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bandia12Bandia12 member
    edited June 2014
    Crazy to think about! I haven't even calculated when my first will be graduating lol. 
    eta- Ah, 2028! 

Idk about yall's states, but here they have to be 5 by September 1st or they start the following year. So my baby will be a 2033 grad... hopefully :P. lol

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @jlove253 My boss actually gave me the same advice.
  • PineApple85PineApple85 member
    edited June 2014
    And I'll be 47.  I feel old.  :(

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I want to say we have that law here in SC but i'm not 100% sure because I know a lot of children who started kindergarten when they were 4 because they tested high enough to be placed in 5k.   My birthday is in October and they let me start early too.   Hmm... I need to look into that.  

However, I totally agree that starting them a year late is not a problem.  Especially if it will be beneficial for them throughout the rest of their school years.

• And I'll be 47.  I feel old.  :(
    @PineApple85
    Don't worry I AM old!
    I'll be 57 in 2032!!!
    :(

I'm a crazy planner and as soon as I got back from my honeymoon I made a spreadsheet with my age and my DH's age and what year I wanted to conceive and give birth for each child and then their ages all the way until 2041... So my spreadsheet shows college grad years as well... SIGH... I hold my DD so close to me when I give her her bottle, one day I won't be able to hold her in my arms on my lap...sniff sniff...it makes me sad for my mother and makes me wanna crawl in her arms next time I see her!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Interesting topic. I have a December birthday, so I was actually only 3 when I started Kindergarten (turning 4 that year). I don't know that it was necessarily a bad thing as I was always able to keep up, but I kind of wonder whether that extra year would have made me excel had my parents waited. Also, I graduated high school and started university at 17, which was most definitely too young. I think my mom thought it was extra smart for being the youngest in my class, but I know now I likely would have done better had they waited.
  • jlove253jlove253 member
    edited June 2014
    Parents sometimes act like starting late means their kid is stupid, or will be behind their peers, or will be left out/behind. But none of that is true. I partially blame it on social media parenting.

Edit: spelling
  • I am planning on starting this one late.
    Kaitlyn - born November 7, 2014
  • I changed the topic to both 2032/2033 so that both parties are represented. 

@jlove253.  Ugh.  Nothing makes me more upset than parents who think their child is stupid because they are held back a year or do not learn at the same level as other children.   My DH struggled with Dyslexia and he was judged by family members/ friends because he went to a school specifically for children with learning disabilities.   He is seriously the smartest person I know.  He can do something once and will remember how to do it for the rest of his life.  He is also very savvy when it comes to fixing things. 

• DH's parents had him skip kindergarten bc they thought he was too smart and would be "bored". 

As a result, he was smaller than most boys. He loves sports and blames his year behind for the reason he never reached his full varsity potential in HS. haha
    imageimage
  • I want to say we have that law here in SC but i'm not 100% sure because I know a lot of children who started kindergarten when they were 4 because they tested high enough to be placed in 5k.   My birthday is in October and they let me start early too.   Hmm... I need to look into that.  

However, I totally agree that starting them a year late is not a problem.  Especially if it will be beneficial for them throughout the rest of their school years.

I don't get the rush to start kids in school so early. DS is a late-August baby, he's after the cut-off for Missouri, but within it for Kansas. We live in Missouri, so that's fine; but if we lived in Kansas, I would keep him out an extra year.

My sister was pressured by the private school her daughter was attending to start her son before he was ready. He really just flat-out wasn't ready! Luckily they moved so she had an "out", telling him in their new state he couldn't go to school yet, and she pulled him out. He's now almost 13 and in gifted program.

I wish more people would realize that just because a kid isn't ready, especially a boy, doesn't mean they are unintelligent. Kids need time to be kids.

I see this a lot in my city, especially the "keeping up with the Jonses" types, they brag that their kid is sooo advanced they are starting them in school a year early. I would venture to say 99% of the time, they have their own interests in mind and not their child's (in regards to when they start them in "real" school).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I started school at 4 and had some major social issues because of it.  All of my friends from club sports and events were my age, but they were a year behind me in school.  When I started JH they were still in elementary school and same with high school.  So I ended up losing a lot of friends in the process and the "older" kids in my year were all friends through extra-curricular activities so I never got close to many of them.  I only really had 1 - 2 friends and I was deeply depressed most of my high school years. 

I don't blame my parents because I know that they didn't know any better and they put me in school to avoid having to pay for daycare for yet another year, but it was definitely hard on me.  I would not recommend starting any kid at 4 though.  The only positive thing out of all of it was that I focused on school since I didn't have friends :P

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Annnnd I feel panicky now. Blowing mind. Parenting teens scares the shit out of me.
    Me too. Can't we just ship them out between 13-20? No?
  • I worked in a kindergarten classroom for a year and oh boy, the difference between the kids who turned 6 in September vs the kids who turned 6 the July after school let out. Wait that year, gals!

Also... kinda a different topic, but is anyone considering homeschooling? 
    We have talked about homeschooling for the early childhood years.   Our city has several home school programs that are fantastic. 

• I am not a teacher, nor have I ever wanted to be a teacher. I have also never wanted to be a SAHM. Homeschooling does not make sense for my family.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm having a fall baby on purpose so it will be one of the older ones in his grade!  Our cutoff is Sept 1, so my daughter's June birthday means she's always been one of the youngest ones and I think it does put her at a disadvantage. I made sure to wait to TTC until I was sure the baby would be born after Sept 1 so even though it will be the youngest child in our family it will be older for its grade.
  • I am way too undisciplined to homeschool. DH was homeschooled for kindergarten and really wants me to do that for our kids. I refuse. And I used to teach preschool!
  • We will definitely be waiting to put our kids in school as long as possible, there are just so many benefits.  

Also, sort of along the same topic but not, DS was born in February and there's a Malcolm Gladwell book where he has this theory that kids born in the first few months of the year tend to do better athletically (he did all kinds of research and a high percentage of professional athletes are born in Jan/Feb), so now DH thinks DS is going to be an NHL player solely based on his birthday.
    imageimage

• mussalynn said:

Also, sort of along the same topic but not, DS was born in February and there's a Malcolm Gladwell book where he has this theory that kids born in the first few months of the year tend to do better athletically (he did all kinds of research and a high percentage of professional athletes are born in Jan/Feb), so now DH thinks DS is going to be an NHL player solely based on his birthday.
    The Jan/Feb birthday effect is because in Canada that's the cutoff for school or sports entry, so kids with those birthdays are the oldest.  So if that isn't your local cutoff date, it wouldn't apply.  If your local cutoff is Sept 1, Sept and Oct birthdays would show the same effect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"