Tennessee Babies
Options

Memphis- Cordova, Bartlett, Germantown, Lakeland???

Hi all,

I currently live in Idaho, but have received a potential job offer in Memphis. My research so far shows high crime in Memphis, but lots of outer cities that are great to raise a family in. I've listed a few in the subject line, but I would love some local opinions on places to live and raise my family.
Also, child care prices if anyone uses it. We would be putting our 1.5 and 2.5 year old in 3 days a week.

Thanks so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Memphis- Cordova, Bartlett, Germantown, Lakeland???

• Options
    Hallo,

My husband and I have lived in Cordova for a little over 2.5 years and we also go into the city regularly. I have no concerns about raising my family here. My grandparents have also lived in the Cordova area for as long as I can remember and never had any trouble. Crime in the city is really not a huge problem if you're smart, careful, and don't associate with people who cause trouble.

I don't use childcare yet, so I'm afraid I can't advise you on that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Depending on the area the job is in, you might also want to look into north mississippi as well. While certain areas of Memphis are best avoided, not all of the city is horrible. As far as childcare it varies greatly based on area and the daycare and prices can even sometimes vary based on age.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I currently live in Downtown Memphis and I'm moving further East in about a week. Crime is concentrated in neighborhoods that are impoverished, like any other urban city. I do a lot of service work in these areas and feel comfortable. Though, like a PP said, I don't venture there late at night or put myself in awkward situations.

I'm moving from Downtown Memphis because I want a home close to my parents and easier access to a grocery store. Excluding the parents, I could get the "neighborhood" feel in Midtown (Cooper-Young/Overton Square/Evergreen Historic District) or the White Station area in East Memphis without having comfort compromised.

As for childcare - we have a broad range with most falling in the lower-mid price range when compared nationally. Definitely visit several before making a decision - factoring in teaching styles and recent activities. For my first baby, I will be bringing someone into my home 3 days per week (I work from home). I'll be switching to a Cordova-area Montessori school if I'm still in Memphis when he reaches 20 months.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • Options
    I've done a little more research on childcare since I posted before, and will likely be putting my boy into a church-based program close to our house when he's old enough. Even if you're not religious, there are a lot of churches in the area that offer excellent programs with varying levels of actual religious instruction involved. (Not sure how common that is in Idaho.)

I know of several programs in the Cordova area that offer 3 day a week programs. Care.com can also be a good resource, if you do background checks and get references. I used to have a profile on there and worked as a nanny up until this past May.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Tipton County, hands down. We have the best school system around and homes, gas & taxes are cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"