Babies: 6 - 9 Months

ugh

So I know I'm the only one to blame for this but I need help fixing it. My lo either nurses or is rocked to sleep every night. It hasn't always been that way. While she was still getting swaddled I was adamant about putting her in her crib drowsy but still awake. Trying to wean from the swaddled is where it went wrong. When lo is tired she rubs her eyes to the point of keeping herself awake and becoming over tired and crying. So I didn't know what to do besides putting her down asleep. If I put her down in her crib drowsy I have to block her face or hold her hands so that she can call asleep. So she still needs help getting asleep. The last couple of night have been rough trying to get her to sleep on her own. She can do it sometimes but never for bedtime. What do i do? FYI she's 7 month next week and I haven't done or even read anything on sleep training.

Re: ugh

• LC122LC122 member
    Honestly, do what works for you. If you want her to fall asleep "drowsy but awake" but that means blocking her hands, then so be it. Choose your battle.
    If she gets to sleep nursing and rocking and you can make peace with that, then so be it.
    Kids are only little for so long. Enjoy the cuddles while you can. I've never met a 10 year old (or 9, or 8, or 7...) who has to be rocked to sleep.
  • Maybe try giving lo a small stuffed animal or something soft to hold while going to sleep. My oldest was a hair puller when sleepy and that worked with her. My 7 month son likes to rub a blanket or his lovey on his face when he's tired. His lovey is like thishttps://www.douglascuddletoy.com/p/blue-dog-snuggler?pp=12, only a bear instead of a dog.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I thought about giving a small toy or blanket but wasn't sure about when it's ok to have that in the crib at night.
  • I can't do the Merlin suit now. She's too old and rolls.
  • I agree with PP. Don't stress how she goes to sleep. She's only this little for a little while!

But, if you want something to try, here is the schedule that works for us. We all usually get home at 4:30-5. We play until 6. At 6, our routine starts: 6, solids; 6:30, bath; 6:50ish, nurse; 7:30ish, read book; 7:45ish bed. We use a sound machine/projector combo. It gives LO something to look at while he drifts off. We use sleep sacks, and I love them. This routine is pretty inflexible: we've made the mistake of being at dinner with him at 6:30 and had to get it to go! Sooooo, while that stinks, at least we know. DS turned 8 months yesterday and bedtime sleep isn't a problem at all (naps are another story!). Sometimes he cries a little and while I'm ok with <10 minutes of fussiness while he's fighting sleep, I'll go rub him back for a few minutes if it goes longer than that. That usually does the trick. I hope something in there helps!

No matter what your routine, IMO consistency is what counts.

Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"