Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Things Thursday

1. Are you happy with your health insurance plan? We had our benefits meeting yesterday and our plan got updated.

2. What is the coolest thing your kid did or said this week?

3. Would you move to Mars given the opportunity?

4. Open

5. Open

Re: 5 Things Thursday

• 1. Our plan is actually pretty average compared to most so I can't complain too much. It's just getting worse along with everyone else and I think they present the changes poorly to us. Our premium went up 13% this year, they are reducing our seed money again, and starting in 2015 if your spouse has insurance through their employer they can no longer be on our plan and it doesn't matter how crappy the spouse's insurance is.

Without going into a bunch of boring detail it appears the company's expenses are going down, but ours are going up, but because they don't consider our out of pocket costs or reduced see money they can still say they pay for 70% of the expenses. Our expenses have gone up a lot because they switched to HD and they keep reducing our HSA seed money.

2. My CD player faceplate got stolen our of my car the other night. I showed my son and his reaction was, "oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, nooooooooooo, I have to tell mommy", he then ran into the house and dragged her out to the car.

3. Nope

4. See number 1 because it was long.

5. I'm sleepy and it's raining.

• PrimePrime member

1. Are you happy with your health insurance plan?

I am currently happy with the plan.  Although like everyone else there are changes on the horizon. 

Our son has been dealing with the side effects of his last round of shots.  Felt pretty awful.  This morning after he got up he and I went downstairs to let mom sleep some more.  He ended up laying on my chest and going to sleep.  This is usually something he reserves for mom so it was pretty awesome.

I don't know if I would permanently move.  If I could go for 6-12 months, sure.

4. One of the classes I am taking this summer is Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Every class has homework and a quiz.  The homework from Tuesdays class wasn't posted until this morning and its due by midnight.  Ugh.

5.  I've been having trouble with motivation at work today.  I think I am getting a little burnt out from 2 classes and working full time.  Just need to get through this month then I'll be back down to one class.

• Loading the player...
  • 1. Are you happy with your health insurance plan? We had our benefits meeting yesterday and our plan got updated.  My company has good health insurance but I am sure that it does have the same requirement that a lot does that if your wife has coverage at her work, she has to have coverage there.  My company is self-insured and totally private so most of the increases is based on usuage

2. What is the coolest thing your kid did or said this week?  Told SIL who was going to school in the morning that he couldn't hold her hand because he was carrying his garbage truck.

3. Would you move to Mars given the opportunity?  Only if my entire support group moved with me.

4. Open  Got bronchitis for the second time this year.  MW is also sick.

5. Open  Will be BBQ brisket on Saturday, one hot and one not.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• PrimePrime member
    @polooo27 We can have our spouse on our insurance even if their provider offers something, but we have to pay an additional premium.  In our case it was worth it when my wife was working because her insurance was crap, especially with regards to child birth.

• @Prime - Our setup used to be Individual or family. Now it's individual, +children, +spouse, or family. The only way you can do +spouse or family is if your spouse can't get coverage through their employer. That starts in 2015. I guess this is starting to become the new trend. Their reasoning was because they now have to pay an extra tax on every person on the plan and spouses make up a large portion of claims.

I thought they should just charge an extra premium if your spouse can get coverage at their work, but still want to stay on our plan. That might be too complicated though. I imagine there will be a handful of people who will have to look for a new job or their spouse will have quit their job over this.

• @Prime - when my wife was working she had benefits, but it didn't cover child birth either. She stays at home now so it's not a big deal, but this will be a big deal if she ever decides to go back to work. She'll have to pick a crappy job that doesn't offer benefits or find a good job that has good benefits. Middle of the road with crappy benefits won't work.
  • One of the nice things about my company's plan is that it meets or exceeds all of the current qualifications in the ACA so the one major thing they did this time around was show the per person tax for adults.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1. Are you happy with your health insurance plan? We had our benefits meeting yesterday and our plan got updated.

Yes and no. Its not the greatest plan in the way of premiums but the doctor and hospitals in system are the better ones in the region and the ones that i personally pefer for my care and and my wifes care.

Dont have one yet but trying and praying to get the good new soon.

Only for a short vaction.

4. Open

I.m hearing rumors that I may end up working the 4th and 5th of July at my shop .

5. Open

the worst part of trying to conceive is waiting to find out if got a little one on the way. Everything else I got no problem with.

• polooo27polooo27 member
    edited June 2014
    Wulfgar said:
    One of the nice things about my company's plan is that it meets or exceeds all of the current qualifications in the ACA so the one major thing they did this time around was show the per person tax for adults.
    That was my companies reason for getting rid of spouses on our plan if they can get health insurance where they work. The tax is $2 right now, but will go up to $63. I thought it was a lame excuse because why can't we just pay that $63 to get our spouses on the insurance. It's really just eliminating our spouses to save money on their claims.
  • The waiting game is though. The disappointment can be rough for both of you. Education went a long way in my case to not only keep the stress at a minimum, but I really felt like part of the baby making team. A woman who feels pressure (from herself or else where) to have a baby can feel pretty alone if she is charting and temping but her guy is just into having sex. My experience was that sex became so tied to ovulation charts that it felt mechanical and proscribed. I felt more like a means to an end than a partner at times. Odd that once we had a convo about that, things were more spontaneous that month and bam...positive test. Probably more than you expected with such a benign post. I apparently still have some feelings about things.
    100% agree with all of that.
  • The waiting game is though. The disappointment can be rough for both of you. Education went a long way in my case to not only keep the stress at a minimum, but I really felt like part of the baby making team. A woman who feels pressure (from herself or else where) to have a baby can feel pretty alone if she is charting and temping but her guy is just into having sex. My experience was that sex became so tied to ovulation charts that it felt mechanical and proscribed. I felt more like a means to an end than a partner at times. Odd that once we had a convo about that, things were more spontaneous that month and bam...positive test.

Probably more than you expected with such a benign post. I apparently still have some feelings about things.

We have been talking about it for some time and reading alot to get more education and a few weeks ago we decided to be spontaneous about it and decided now was the time. Well she was about ten days late we decided to test this morning and well I guess my waiting game is now over.

We didn't expect to get lucky so fast since both sides had trouble conceiving and thought we would have trouble too. We both were surprised and very happy and I think very lucky.

• 1. Are you happy with your health insurance plan? We had our benefits meeting yesterday and our plan got updated.

The benefits are good... spent the weekend in the hospital for an emergency appendectomy back in October and I think the whole thing, 2 nights in the hospital ran a total of $1100, including all the surgery, anesthesia, etc.  What I don't care for much is that with our new contract our insurance rates will double by the end of the contract from $112 to $235 a check for my family.

My oldest says cool things all the time, it is hard to keep track of them all.  My youngest is starting to turn his trucking around the house into short sprints.

No.  Mars would offer such limited opportunity to do things I enjoy.  I like being close to my family, be able to do things like go outside, go to a zoo, etc.  without having to plan a 3 year space voyage, if we'd even be able to return from Mars.

Since this is last week's 5TT, I'll skip the open ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"