October 2013 Moms
Options

Baby wearing question!

So I'd like to buy a woven wrap, and I have been looking at a Facebook swap page. They keep talking about 'breaking' them in. What does this mean? Does the material just get softer, and easier to work with? As a newb, should I buy used so I don't have to 'break' it in? And what brand would you recommend?? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance!

Re: Baby wearing question!

• Options
    Lee81Lee81 member
    I'm new at this too, but from what I've gathered, some wraps are softer than others out of the box. If you get one that's soft from the start, it's nice and floppy and molds easily around baby. If you get one that needs breaking in, it'll be stiff like drapery at first but, yes, it will get softer and easier to work with as you use it. I've seen people say that one of the best parts of buying used is not having to worry about breaking it in. Some of the brands that I remember reading are pretty soft right out of the box were Girasol, Neobulle, BB Slen, Dolcina, and Vatanai. Some of the Didymos weaves, too, but there are so many of them that I can't keep track of what's what.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Lee81Lee81 member
    Oh, as far as recommendations, I went with the Neobulle. I like it so far. It seems reasonably breathable for warm weather but it's not so thin that it's likely to dig when DD gets bigger. I bought my wrap used and my ring sling new (both Neobulle) and they are both equally soft. I wouldn't call them floppy, but it's soft enough to work with pretty easily. I have never tried or even felt any of the others, though, so I don't have any real basis for comparison.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I prefer used as some wraps (linen in particular) are beastly to break in. Breaking in makes them soft and floppy, essentially easier to wrap with.

Which one to go with depends on a lot of factors. How hot is it where you live? Are you going to be wearing LO on the daily for extended times? Some brands and some materials are more supportive than others. Budget also plays a role.

I LOVE my oshca Okinawa sky wrap as it's so supportive abd he feels weightless in it, but Oscha's are pricey. Girasols are pretty lightweight and so so soft abd easy to break-in, but I don't find them very supportive for my 23lber! I have to do multi-pass carries whenever I use a girasol.

Didymos makes tons of different wraps out of different materials. I have a few and I'm happy with all of them.

If I were to recommend a material, it would be a hemp mixture or cotton. You can't go wrong with those. I LOVE natibaby hemp wraps. I have a chevron one and it's buttery soft and super supportive.

Hope that helps a little :-).

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DSC_0552-2  Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I live in southern alberta, so it can get damn hot in the summer! I won't wear her everyday, but when I do, it's for long periods of time! Maybe I'll start with a used one and go from there
  • Options
    Do you have a good website to look at @crunchymama11
  • Options
    To buy that brand that is?
  • Options
    I'm gonna thread jack for a second... I have a 100% cotton Kokadi, it's okay to wash it using tide original liquid right? I looked on their website when I got it and didn't see a suggestion so I just haven't washed it. Maybe this should be a fffc cause I got it a few months ago. X_X
  • Options
    I just took the plunge and bought a didymos mystery box from Birdie's Room. I'm much much poorer but am super excited for my 3 new wraps to arrive.

• Options
    Lee81Lee81 member
    @MittenJennie  That is so cool! Now I want a mystery box. I would love to hear what wraps you get and how you like them when your box comes. 
  • Options
    @SeeJayEmm‌ & @Lee81‌ I will be sure too. I asked my husband when he was half asleep and he agreed. I am pretty sure he would have said no if he didn't want me to stop talking so he could sleep.

• Options
    @crunchymama11‌ & @Sweet Tooth 87‌ Thanks for the advise, I need to wash it since it's been spit up on way too many times.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"