June 2014 Moms

Breast feeding and polysporin question, help!

Hey breast feeding mamas. I've got a FTM question and can't seem to find any info online. I saw my LC a few days ago and told her breast feeding was going well but beginning to get painful and my nipples were starting to get scabby and bleeding. She recommended polysporin ointment. I had read before about lanolin and earth mama nipple cream but never polysporin. But I went with her advice and got some at cvs (oddly they do not sell polysporin at BBB or BrUs and it's not with the baby supplies at cvs either) so I used it for the first time last night after showering and when he was ready to nurse wiped it off and tried to get him to latch. From about 10pm to 7am I could not get him to swallow while nursing and he wailed all night. Finally at 7 he started swallowing and now everything seems to be back to normal. The only thing that's changed is the polyspirin so I'm assuming he was able to taste it which is why he wouldn't swallow? Or was he just being fussy? Has anyone else had a similar experience w this ointment?

I would post this in the 0-3 mo board but I don't know those gals and value y'all's opinions better :) o

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast feeding and polysporin question, help!

• rainbowdashhrainbowdashh member
    edited May 2014
    I definitely would never have used that on my nipples. My nipples cracked at first, but I just went really heavy on the lanolin. Or the earth mama nipple butter. I put it on constantly, after every feeding and every time she switched sides. I'm really surprised a LC would tell you to use that.

ETA: your milk will definitely help soothe your nipples too. It's so hard at first, but you've got this!
  • Thanks lades! I thought it was weird to use something so strong right off the bat.  Ive been anticipating the pain and from what I've read you just suffer through it until your nipples toughen up.  Im inclined to just use my milk to sooth but think ill pick up some lanolin just in case.  And steer clear of the polysporin!

• Loading the player...
  • jshropjshrop member
    @MegK82‌ I feel like in at that point where it hurts terribly at first latch but then is okay. My nipples are cracked and bleeding too so I'm taking solace that it might only be that way for a couple more weeks.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
    June '14 September Siggy challenge- Favorite things about fall

• MrsP419MrsP419 member
    Nursing can definitely be very painful, especially in the beginning, and sometimes lanolin does not cut it.  I had never heard of what you were recommended, but with both my my LOs, I had my OB/midwife write me a prescription for Dr. Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment (https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&id=76:all-purpose-nipple-ointment-apno&Itemid=17)  It is like magic, and totally safe for breastfeeding.   You have to get it at a compounding pharmacy, so it is a bit more of a hassle with insurance, but it was worth it to me as a FTM.  
    DD- Born 03/09/2010
    DS- Born 01/21/2012
                                              Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • edited June 2014
    MegK82 said:
    Yes to lanolin or some other nipple cream.  Also to squeezing a bit of milk and rubbing it on after you're done nursing.  

I always have pain and sometimes cracking during the first 3-4 weeks of nursing. I nursed through cracked bleeding nipples just fine. It only really hurt when they first latched and unlatched, but there was no pain while she actually nursed.  They eventually heal and then are fine.  

Totally this. The milk was like magic. Also, I used breast shells to air my nipples out (with and without lanolin because that can stain). Also, clothing on my raw nips was the worst, but I needed the support. The shells are at BRU/BBB. Dd did a number on my nipples (created a ridge from holding her the same way). Changing positions helped me heal as well. Despite the initial pain, she was successfully nursed for over a year. Eta, I squeezed milk on my nipple before I nursed, too.
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Thanks ladies, I'm trying to go without using anything other than my expressed milk for now.  He was a complete angel last night and latched easily and fed like normal every three hours.  I think he def did not like the ointment and if I try the cream ill experiment with it first thing in the morning so he's not up till 7am like last time.  Ive also been letting my nipples air dry like y'all suggested so ill just have to see how it goes.  Its pretty painful but its been less than two weeks so I've jut got to buckle down and endure it.  Thanks for the support and advice it means a lot :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"