Natural Birth

Fundal "massage"??

ElTrain5ElTrain5 member
edited May 2014 in Natural Birth
So I recently found out that at the "birth center" I will be delivering at (really a seperate unit of L&D that's more natural friendly) it is SOP for nurses from L&D to do fundal massage every ten minutes for two hours after birth. From what I've read, if the uterus is contracting fine on it's own, this is not necessary. I also plan on nursing immediately after birth to help with the contracting. I asked my midwife and she made it sound more like they are just "checking" to see if the uterus was contracting on it's own. But the doula who told me this made it sound like they were doing the full on massage regardless. I've heard this can be painful and if it really isn't needed (unless the uterus is not contracting down on it's own) then I would like to avoid it.

So, questions are, 1) Is what I've written above about what every else has heard/experienced? Or am I way off? And 2) how should I go about telling the nurses to not massage, but to just check the uterus instead to confirm it's doing the contracting on it's own? I don't want to end up getting into it with a nurse over how much/hard she's massaging....but how do I best communicate that? Or am I way off here and should just let it happen?

Re: Fundal "massage"??

• I would trust your MW's explanation, she would have more experience.  Based on the timeline you are giving it sounds like they are just checks, I can't imagine being massaged every 10 minutes for 2 hours.  

You should be able to tell the difference between them checking you and actually massaging.  From what I remember when they check it's just kind of like applying firm pressure to your ute.  I know with my first they said it seemed like only one side was working the way it should, so they suspected my bladder was full and encouraged me to use the bathroom.  The nurse was correct and once I made sure to keep my bladder empty it helped, so that's something you can do as well.  Massaging would last longer and be more intense, like imagine them kneading bread, only it's your ute.  

It appears this is your first, which increases the likelihood your ute will do a fine job of contracting on its own.  Also as you said BFing and keeping your bladder empty.  The other thing you could try is taking Red Raspberry Leaf caplets or drinking the tea, which will further help to tone your ute.   
  • I would trust the midwife. From my experience, I was checked twice. The first was more of a massage and it was uncomfortable, but not painful by any means. They are trying to get a good feel and make sure that you are shrinking properly. When they checked the second time they said I was shrinking very quickly and they were very happy with the progress so they didn't have to check again. Honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned and I would just listen to your midwife.

image    image    

• Loading the player...
  • Immediatly following birth it may be more of a massage as soon as the placenta is delivered to ensure the uterus continues to contract and bleeding does not become excessive. After that, nurses will do a quick check to feel for the size of your uterus to ensure it is shirking and staying firm. Also, the quick check may help loosen any clots that have built up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • They did this in hospital after my first and at the birth center after my second.  It's uncomfortable but after giving birth it's no biggie...and you're holding your baby so you don't care.  I trust my midwives not to do something that's not necessary. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"