March 2014 Moms
Options

Consequences of sleeping longer at night...?

So I'm loving the fact that Robert is sleeping longer at night. I find that if I cluster feed in the evening he sleeps longer.

Just this past night his last feed was at 9pm. He fell asleep at around 9:45 and didn't wake up until 430... Nearly 7 hours!

Except now... It's 5:15 and he's still awake. He's partying in his swaddle in his bassinet. In general his mood is fine IF I keep rocking his bassinet and replacing his paci.

Sooooo does this mean his wake up time is actually 4:30... I don't know if I can survive that... Talk about a cruel trade off for longer stretches!

Should I try to push his last feed back even later? (This will suck when I need to go back to work... But that's a long time from now...)

Do I need to just accept this and start my day at 4:30...?

Re: Consequences of sleeping longer at night...?

• Options
    I'm not sure how comfortable you are with bed sharing, but I side-ly nurse Holland for both her goodnight & "MOTN" feeding, the latter occuring at around 4:30-5:30 am. I put her in the PNP for her long night stretch, but keeping her in bed with me helps keep her in sleepy time mode. So I'll latch her on, and sometimes fall right back to sleep, and sometimes wait for her to nurse back to sleep. (Depending how rested I'm feeling.) I also only use my phone as a flashlight so she doesn't think it's morning.

Hopefully someone else has better advice than I do! Good luck! :D
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

*knocks on wood before telling our schedule*

On a typical night lo falls asleep around 9;30 and doesn't get up until 4:30 or so. There are occasional nights she goes to sleep earlier and gets up earlier but she goes back to sleep almost everytime. Only a few times was she awake for a little while, unfortunately I'm the one who is stuck awake.

Do you talk to him at all? I usually try not to talk after she eats or even during. Maybe it's just a phase and he will start going back to sleep.

Nope. Minimal stimulation. Low lights, no talking, not even eye contact.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Colton adjusted his times no matter what did, so now I just go with it. He cluster feeds from 7:30-10:30, and than sleeps from 10:30 to about 7/7:30. He sometimes will go back to sleep in the morning I found that of I try to have him sleep he won't! So hopefully your LO will decide sleep is more fun soon, not really any advice but maybe your LO will change times like mine did.
  • Options
    What about trying a "dream feed" or sleepy feed before you go to her or around 11/11:30? We started putting LO to bed at 8 in her crib, DH and I have some "us time" until we give her a big sleepy feed bottle at 11pm. After that she will usually slee
  • Options
    Sorry posted too soon....
    I meant sleep a good 7-9 hour stretch thru the night (knock on wood I'm not jinxing anything lol)
  • Options
    I would feed your LO whenever he is hungry even if the timing isn't optimal for you. About 2 weeks ago LO was sleeping through the night and we were getting used to a schedule. But that didn't last long because now she is going through her 3 month growth spurt. I feel like once we are on a schedule, she goes through a funk or growth spurt to throw it (the schedule) off.
  • Options
    KTdid81KTdid81 member
    LO doesn't usually sleep through the night. His bedtime can range from 830 - 1130....so it's rather unpredictable. Lately he's been sleeping 1130 - 430 and them he wants to get up until around 630 (when I have to get up for work). So in our household we split it up so we both get at least 6 hours of sleep. My husband puts him to bed (I go to bed at 9pm). Then I get up with him after. If it's 1am, great! That means he'll go back to sleep. If it's 430, damn - I get up for the day.
    Married 4-26-2011  Me 31 DH 28  
    TTC since 12/2011  
    5/4/13-IUI #1=BFN,  6/3/13-IUI #2=BFN, 7/1/2013-IUI #3=BFP!!!
    Little Man arrived 3/28/14 at 10:32pm
    9 lb 1 oz & 21 3/4 inches

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Sloan gets up anywhere from 5-730 and it doesn't matter when she last ate. You know she's awake for they day because she starts smiling at you and "talking" that's when I say well guess we will remove the swaddle.

Bedtime. If she's sleeping we will wake her at 830 to do bedtime so she is in bed by 930. Otherwise I just read her clues. Anywhere between 7-8 if she's getting fussy we start bedtime :)
  • Options
    Mine does this too. He goes down for the night around 9 and is then up at 4:30. I feed him and then just hang out downstairs with him. I actually enjoy being up early so I can have some quiet time before the toddler gets up at 7. The baby doesn't mind me watching the news on the sofa with a cup of coffee. :-)

They'll sleep longer eventually. Just hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO has her eve routine start about 630....she's bathed,massaged & fed & into bed by 715-730. She'll then sleep til 145-2am, feed & go bk down til 6-630am. Some nights r better than others & we just hope when she's ready she'll drop that 145-2am feed & we'll have a great night! Until then we just wait it out lol!
  • Options
    A few weeks ago my LO did this for a couple nights in a row. I think it was related to a developmental leap.
    imageimage
  • Options
    FFwifey said:

I read that baby's day shouldn't start for about 12 hours after bedtime. I just persistently try to get him to go back down. Usually it's the 7am feeding when he wants to stay awake but I just act like it's still nighttime and don't let him play or anything. Usually he will go back to sleep on his own in his crib if I leave the room, but I do go back in and put in his soother if he's fussing.

This is what we do. A goes down around 9 or 10pm, and sleeps through until anywhere between 5-7. I'm rarely if ever ready to get up at that point, so I swaddle him back up and we usually both fall back asleep until 9-10.

At that time MH is out of bed, so I often do like @CHPhotoMama‌ and fling back all the covers so he can sleep next to me safely, sometimes after a side-lying nurse.
  • Options
    We try to start the bath/bottle/bed routine around 7, aiming for bedtime between 7 and 8.  Tonight we started earlier and she was out by 7:15.

We usually get her down by 7:40 and she'll sleep until 4:30-5.  We nurse, bottle supplement, and try to get her back down.  Some nights she'll go right back down and stay down until between 8 and 9.  Other nights she's up for 2 hours, THEN goes back down until 10 or 11.

I try to end the MOTN feed in the swaddle, just like we do at bedtime.  I find she doesn't fight sleep as much that way.

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.

Anniversary 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"