Blended Families
Options

Feeling second rate

I apologize in advance, because I'm sure this topic gets brought up often enough that it's been answered several times over. Maybe I just need to lay it out to see how ridiculous I am being.

Brief history: my husband and I are expecting our first together, due in a few months. He has a 6 year-old from a previous relationship when he was still in high school, I also had a baby in high school that I gave up for adoption(closed). DH and BM are not on good terms, he has LO EOE. 

The title pretty much says it all; while this is technically NOT my first birth, it is my first baby, but not DH's. I want to be excited, but feel that this baby is somehow not as special as a first-born child. It's getting to the point where I do not want DH with me at delivery because I don't want to have to think about him being reminded of BM and the birth of his first. I know it's crazy, and believe me I would love to rid myself of these icky feels, but I just can't! Has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on getting over your ex's past/your past? Help!

Re: Feeling second rate

• Options

Well I don't have the exact same situation but similar and I will tell you that there are good days and bad days.  My SO has 3 from his first marriage 11, 9, and 7 that ended when she had a 4th baby by someone else.  We were expecting my first and it was great, until I lost the baby at 7 weeks.  No it is not his priority and he is not even sure if he even wants another baby. 

Have you tried being bluntly honest with him about your feelings?  Maybe writing it out, I felt much better after I did that.  I don't think it is crazy but I think it is hard for men to see the consequences of their actions.  The youngest acts out anytime Dad is around because he never tells her no.  I has been hard for him to see that he needs to set boundaries.  As a result of the limited time we have with them he often forgets that I am around (or so that is how it feels).

I am sorry you are going through this, hope you can really have a sit down conversation with him and that he will see how you are feeling.  It will tke work and it is not easy but there is a reason you were willing to marry him despite SS.

Good luck! 

• Options
    I have spoken to DH about it, on several occasions. In no way does he treat this baby as less-than, or not as special as his first. That's why this is so frustrating! I love my husband, he's completely supportive and loving, but I STILL feel this jealousy gnawing away at me. I know it's completely irrational, and I just feel crazy.

Thanks for sharing your story and perspective Serge, I wish you all the best with your SO and steps. Being a SM is tough. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to tell my dh that I don't want to hear about his exwife and her pregnancy at all. I don't want our pregnancies to be compared to one another- I leave the room when sd asks questions about her birth (kindly of course). Jealously will probably remain despite what I do, but I also know that with this baby he is in a different place in life- not a rushed marriage because of baby, older and wiser, let alone we are happier together than he was with her. Not to mention I'm having his baby boy- totes different than another girl

With six years maturity and his first birth experience being in high school- your baby together should be completely different for him!
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I know I'm being ridiculous, but jealousy is hard to overcome sometimes. Just to clarify a few points above - I don't parent his LO, she's only here 4 days a month, and I am at work for most of it. Also, BM just wouldn't be having that shit. I stay out of the way, which works best for everyone involved. 

Everyone comes with baggage, including me, I just need to get over it. 
    /endrant
  • Options

Wait. What???  BM wouldn't have what shit? You being in your step child's life??

Am I understanding this correctly? This is not a good situation. Do you plan on not being around this child for the next 14 years? 

"he offered her the world. she said she had her own" - poet Monique Duval
  • Options
    Yep, that's what I meant. It's a long and toxic situation that was already in place before I entered the equation. There's really too much to go into in a forum post, but yes - I do not parent/participate in DH's kid's life. 
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    Yikes, he only sees his child 4 days a month? I'd be more worried about what kind of dad he is, than ensuring your pregnancy is special. Sorry.
  • Options

Sigir - I disagree,  EOWE does not make him a bad parent.  My guess is holidays are a part of it to. I hope anyway.

Honestly tho Mmejesaistout   - and I say this nicely - you are kidding yourself if you think this relationship is going to work without you in the picture.  And a half sibling on the way?  How does your child factor in to this?  Is your child excluded from this other weird, controlling hold that the BM still has on her ex and child?   It is a sick situation.  I'm sorry, but I think you need to work on you and why you think this is all okay.  I would not worry about him - because you can't change him, but you CAN change your life and your thinking and stand up for what is right. 

And this...is not right.

• Options
    I don't know what the deal is with you not being allowed to be around your stepchild but as for the jealousy, this is your issue. You need to move past this.

The birth I had with DS was completely different from SDs births, parenting DS is completely different from parenting them. The fact that you want to ban him from the room because of your own issues is horrible. He should be able to be there when his child is born. He shouldn't be penalized because you can't get over yourself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have 3 kids, dh and I are trying for one of our own. I do not in any way feel that a child with him would be less special than my first, or my second, or my third. Every baby is a miracle. Every child is special.

And you need to get IN your stepchild's life like yesterday. You are going to birth that child's sibling, whether BM likes it or not. 

image  image

• Options
    Well, thanks for the assumptions about DH - he's not a bad parent. He wanted and used to share custody with BM until she got a lawyer, sued, and won full custody. If any of you have dealt with a nightmare BM before, I assure you, she's one of them. 

Current situation with stepkid/BM really has nothing to do with my original post. Also, it works quite well for me and I wouldn't change a single thing about it. 

Thanks to everyone who replied about the birth, in any case :) My impulse to ¨just get over it¨ has been justified!
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    It usually takes something pretty horrible for someone to win full custody away from the other parent. Just saying.
  • Options
    DH and BM lived together/parented together until he came home to find her in bed with a coworker. Just saying. Courts overwhelmingly favor mothers, and after the split they were living in different cities. BM had a lawyer, DH didn't. He lost. 
  • Options

Well, thanks for the assumptions about DH - he's not a bad parent. He wanted and used to share custody with BM until she got a lawyer, sued, and won full custody. If any of you have dealt with a nightmare BM before, I assure you, she's one of them. 

Current situation with stepkid/BM really has nothing to do with my original post. Also, it works quite well for me and I wouldn't change a single thing about it. 

Thanks to everyone who replied about the birth, in any case :) My impulse to ¨just get over it¨ has been justified!

Wait... so you are happily not a part of your step child's life? You are okay with not spending any time with her? What are you going to do when your child is here? Keep the siblings separate? You think it won't be emotionally hurtful to the child that her SM completely avoids her at all times or you know it will be hurtful and you just don't care?
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    +just+j+ said:
    Your husband is an IDIOT for not having a lawyer. Thats his fault, not a nightmare BMs fault. That is a bad parent move. The reason this pisses me off now is because my dumbass ex did not get a lawyer and was too lazy to ask for state assistance. And this past week he accused me of screwing him over. He even admitted to not reading the CO before he signed it. That is on HIM. And judges dont always favor mothers. If your husband had a lawyer, he would have known that and FOUGHT BACK. Now I am glad the child never sees you. Jesus Christ. WTF is up with the steps here lately that dislike and resent their step kids? Better saddle up ladies. Your shitastic attitudes about these innocent little children make really difficult teens. Good luck with that, because IF you are still married, and you hate these kids now... You REALLY will later. And as far as i am concerned, you will deserve every bit of it.

brava!
  • Options
    Nowhere did I say that I ¨dislike¨ or ¨resent¨ stepkids - I said that my situation works for me. As far as not getting a lawyer, that may be something that a naive 19 year-old father just doesn't consider. And you're right, it's his loss and probably wasn't the smartest move.Teenagers aren't typically lauded for their wise decision-making abilities, like having children in high school. It's an unfortunate situation for DH, BM, and their illegitimate child, but I had nothing to do with it. 

Not related, but curious: did anyone else not have family present at their delivery? 
  • Options

My MIL was in the delivery room when my LO was born. MIL was there for all 6 of DH's children's births and I wasn't trying to break tradition, as she was there for her other Grand's births from her other children as well.  

My family wasn't able to make it in time.

I honestly wanted it to be just DH and I but after seeing how much it could have affected MIL, I couldn't tell her no and I'm glad I didn't.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Options
    I had just XH and I since both were scheduled c sections but my family was there before and his and my family immediately after
  • Options
    This birth is going to be me and dh...my in-laws are watching sd, and my parents live 4 hours away and it will depend on my dad's dialysis schedule when they can get there. My momma will be coming to stay with us after we leave the hospital
  • Options
    You don't have to say it.   But you have said a few times that not being around your step kid works for you.  Really? That is so messed up.  
  • Options
    Your SD and LO are going to be SIBLINGS. You realize that, right? What's your plan for that? That they have zero relationship? That you disappear when SD is over and DH keeps both SD & LO?
  • Options
    Nowhere did I say that I ¨dislike¨ or ¨resent¨ stepkids - I said that my situation works for me. As far as not getting a lawyer, that may be something that a naive 19 year-old father just doesn't consider. And you're right, it's his loss and probably wasn't the smartest move.Teenagers aren't typically lauded for their wise decision-making abilities, like having children in high school. It's an unfortunate situation for DH, BM, and their illegitimate child, but I had nothing to do with it. 

Not related, but curious: did anyone else not have family present at their delivery? 
    And your dh is no longer a teenager.  He can hire a lawyer and go back to court to make changes.  YOU TWO just do not want to do so because you seem to like the current situation. 

But you know what?  You cannot complain about feeling second best when you have never felt like a family.  By having this very separate family, he effectively will always have a first family.  The second you become a family together, your anxiety will diminish.  

But hey, if you want to continue down this path of separate but equal, your child will always be a second family child vs the second child in the family. 

And for everyone who has grown up in an intact family...second children are never second best 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    SigirSigir member
    cole2144 said:

Umm did you really refer to your SD as illegitimate?!

I was going to say the exact same thing but I could not log in last night!!! Amazing that this is real.

• Options
    SanineSanine member
    Lurker here :-) hi! I cant keep quiet on this one.

When I was pregnant, I had this same worry... That I would miss out on feeling special because I was having my first baby, while my son would be number two for DH. SS was 9. Difference was SS lives with us full time. I chose on purpose to have DS at a different hospital a little farther away so SS and BM couldn't compare. Once DS was here, it was different for DH than the first time around for him. Each birth is different, every baby is different.

More than likely 6 years between the two gave your SO enough time to forget how it is to have a baby around full time. Having him not at the birth just because it reminds him of his first baby, I don't think is a good enough of a reason and may cause issues further down the line for you two. Fwiw, the birth of my first was completely different than DH's first born. Nothing reminded him of his ex because I'm not his ex.

Honestly it sounds like there are some major jealousy issues about BM. Your husband is NOT with his ex for a reason, just like he IS WITH you for a reason. Get over it and you will start to feel better and less second rate.

That said, my mom had no say with my step brothers. I saw her go through HELL because of it. Mental breakdown and literally the last person on the list when it came to my stepfather. He even put his ex wife before my mom. My older brother remembers more than I do, but it really hurt us emotionally and mentally growing up. We knew we were treated differently and held to different rules. We never got away with anything our step brothers did.

I suggest making sure you are involved in your SD life more, having a say about what happens in your house, and encouraging a positive relationship between SD and your LO. Otherwise expect SD to walk all over you when she's older because "your not my mom and I don't have to do as you say!" You and your husband need her to know she needs to respect you, what you say, and do as you say when she is in your house. At 6 she is full of love and will more than likely, if she hasn't, accept you into her life.

Good luck. I think part of the issue here is caused by your hormones. Don't compare yourself to BM. Don't worry about BM at all when it comes to the birth of your child. You'll be fine and you will see how much your husband loves the baby.
  • Options

I guess I must be a little different on the pregnancy/birthing thing. I recently birthed my LO at the same hospital SK's were born. There were many comparisons made but every birth is different. I didn't mind the comparisons B/C the whole experience made DH and I closer. I also didn't mind that my Dr.s and some of the nurses knew DH from SK's births.

My LO's birth and our hospital stay was completely different from DH's past experiences.

I do think you should do what makes it easiest for you but I wouldn't dwell on feeling like the experience won't be as amazing as the first for your DH. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers                            

My Loves= SD 18 SS 16 SS13 DD13 DS10 SD6 SD5 

• Options
    Ilumine said:

And your dh is no longer a teenager.  He can hire a lawyer and go back to court to make changes.  YOU TWO just do not want to do so because you seem to like the current situation. 

But you know what?  You cannot complain about feeling second best when you have never felt like a family.  By having this very separate family, he effectively will always have a first family.  The second you become a family together, your anxiety will diminish.  

But hey, if you want to continue down this path of separate but equal, your child will always be a second family child vs the second child in the family. 

And for everyone who has grown up in an intact family...second children are never second best 
    THANK YOU!!!  Voice of Reason, as always. THANK YOU!!!
  • Options

making some time for your step child may help your jealousy issues.

if you plan on marrying his dad you need to be involved

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• Options
    Eek. There's a lot going on in this post. I'll reserve comment for now bc quite frankly, OP you sound very uneducated, not only on how blended families operate in the modern age, but also just on life in general. I wish you well...and I wish on you patience and serenity. You're gonna need it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"