November 2014 Moms
Options

Accepting teaching offer at new school in Sept...

Hey all,
So I know there's been a few posts about interviewing for new jobs while pregnant, when to tell the prospective employer, etc. I'm in a bit of a special situation, though, as I'm an elementary school art teacher. Currently, I'm employed by a public charter school in Boston, which is both run by a private company *and* a part of Boston Public Schools (so I am officially a BPS employee). I desperately wanted to get out of this school at the end of the year since these people are a little cray-cray and I "don't drink the kool-aid" around here, so I interviewed for a dream job at another (traditional) Boston Public School and got an offer today (yayyy!) However, I'm not sure when to unload the big news, as I'd be starting at the new school (though not at a new district, so the people who cut my checks will stay the same) in September and leaving for like 2-3 months around Turkey Day. I think I'm covered by the laws in place, since I've been a BPS employee for over a year now, but I don't want to take any chances. Any other teachers out there in similar situations who can offer any advice/stories/etc about when to tell the (new) principal, how mat. leave was handled, and/or starting at a new school while 7 months pregnant?
Thanks!
October Challenge: How I feel about the 3rd trimester:

Throwback: Hubby and I on our first date (Nov 2007), and then again on our wedding day (Nov 2012)

Re: Accepting teaching offer at new school in Sept...

• Options
    Congrats on the new job!  I'm not sure how things would work with maternity leave, but I would definitely tell the principle sooner rather than later (once you've accepted the job), since they'll want plenty of time to find a sub for you while you're on maternity leave.

• Options
    morrkimmorrkim member
    I accepted a new special ed teaching position for next year a week before finding out I was pregnant.  I was so nervous to tell my new job, especially when I found out it was twins.  I decided to tell them in person so I told them on a day that I came to see my new classroom and meet my new students.  They were really excited for me when I told them.  I would tell them as soon as you can and not spring it on them at the beginning of the year.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    shan24shan24 member
    I, also, wouldn't wait until next year.  I'm not changing schools, but I told my principal about a month ago and I have to let the school board know that I'm taking mat leave before I'm in my fifth month.  I say the sooner the better.
  • Options
    I would tell them as soon as you have an accepted contract at that school. I am in a similar situation as my current position was cut in my school so I will most likely be starting in a new school as well in September. I am planning on filling out my maternity leave paperwork in the next couple of weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mamaluzimamaluzi member
    edited May 2014
    Thanks, all! I definitely wasn't going to wait 'til September, but I was thinking of having something in writing first just in case (the offer took place over the phone today). Any tips on working in a new school (or even as a teacher in general, for that matter) for months 7,8, and 9? When should I plan to leave?

Throwback: Hubby and I on our first date (Nov 2007), and then again on our wedding day (Nov 2012)

• Options
    Have snacks and when you have planning time or time between classes make sure to take the opportunity to sit! If you are swollen at all, it can help to have a stool under your desk to put your feet on :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new job! I'm a elementary art teacher as well!
  • Options
    pennyandandypennyandandy member
    edited June 2014
    One of my friends stated at our school in August and had a baby in October. She told the principal over the summer when she went in to work on her room.

• Options
    I'm kinda stuck in the same situation. Except I'm not teaching and they want to move me from Utah to California. I would love to take the job but I'm kinda worried. I would have to move next month in July! And I have no family there :/ not quite sure what to do
  • Options
    cpotter22 said:
    I would definitely make sure that you have a signed contract and the BOE has approved your hiring first before saying anything to anyone! You said you already sort of are a BPS employee but the contract may be different than the charter one. Personally, I would wait until you start in September to tell them so they can't screw you around.
    Yeah I was thinking I'd definitely want to have a signed offer letter. The thing with my charter, though, is that the company recruited me, but the hiring process was completely BPS (ie, BPS contract, BPS benefits, BPS professional development, etc) so I'm 100% BPS employee - not too worried about that kind of stuff. I do want to tell them before Sept. though so I'm approved for leave - that's outlined in the BPS contract so I'm pretty obligated. Definitely want to sign something first, though, before I break the news - should be signing offer letter this week :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"