November 2014 Moms
Options

Baby Shower Advice

Hi Ladies!  Happy Friday!

So, I need some help/advice with regard to my baby shower.  Some history:  I already have one son and we are now expecting twins.  Techs are 90% sure it is two girls and my mother REALLY wants to throw me a baby shower.  I already had a shower when DS was born but my SIL was pregnant at the same time, so my mother gave each of us a shower and did not get to "give me the shower she really wanted" (her words, not mine).  Plus, she is so excited about the prospect of two little grand girls that she can hardly stand it!  :)  Anyway, in the last few months my father has been diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma and has been in the hospital receiving chemo.  Due to his illness, she does not want to have the shower at her house (which totally makes sense to me and I am not upset about at all).  

So, here is the question.  Mom has mentioned having it at my house for convenience sake.  I am not opposed to having it at my house, but would people think it was weird?  Most people who will be invited will be family so they will know about my dad's illness and it would be easy to explain.  I just hate that I feel like I would have to explain why it was at my house to any friends I invited to assuage my guilt over having it at my house and not wanting to seem greedy or gift grabby.  She has also mentioned having it at another location but I would hate for her to have to pay for a place since they are already going to be getting hit with tons of medical bills. I want her to have fun planning it and all of that and I want to make it easy for her.  

Sorry this is so long.  I just have feeeeeeeeelings about it.  So, would it be tacky to have it at my house?  What am I to do?
DS born August 2011
TWINS are on the way!

Re: Baby Shower Advice

• Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your father.

I think having it at your house is totally fine as long as you are comfortable with that. As others have said, family and friends should understand and this is your day. Having the RSVP's go to your mom will tell everyone who is hosting it I believe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I agree - if your mom sends out the invites and takes the RSVPs, I don't see it as a problem to have the shower at your house.  During the shower, just make sure you behave like the honoree and not the hostess.  I would hope your guests will understand, particularly since your dad is sick.

And I also agree don't post this on the baby shower Nazi board.  Those ladies are cray-cray. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think this is reasonable and your family will understand. We did this for a cousin that was having twins. It really saved her having to cart all of the gifts home. We threw it for her, helped clean her house, decorated, and acted as hostesses. It worked out very well.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If they're close enough to be attending your shower then they're close enough to understand your situation and why it would be at your house.  I don't think it's tacky at all.  BONUS...no lugging all those gifts from one location to another.

• Options
    I say go for it! And I don't think you should have to explain why the shower is at your house, either. It's not like you're throwing the shower for yourself -- and that should be pretty clear if your mom is handling all the details.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    As long as it clearly comes across as hosted by your Mom and not you, I don't see anything wrong with having it at home.  I'm sorry about your Dad and I'm assuming most of your family knows the situation and would also understand.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    Is agee with the the PP about not posting this in the shower forum. Those women are evil. I think they have gotten a little crazy in baby shower etiquette. They have all kinds of crazy, ridiculous rules that prevent people from having fun together and bonding over the new LO. I believe you have every right to feel comfortable in using your own home. Frankly, if people feel the need to judge you, then they have no business celebrating with you and your family. I say let your Mama have fun hosting and enjoy your day celebrating your little girls.
  • Options
    Both my showers thrown by my sisters, have been in my house. I do it for comfortability purposes. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    Jpinky9Jpinky9 member
    I went to my friends baby shower in the fall and two of her other friends were hosting it and sent out the invites. They did all the decorating and food and everything. I never once thought it was odd that it was at her place. I thought it was great that she didn't have to load all the gifts into her car and take the home!
  • Options

I always said I would have my baby shower at my house so I wouldn't have to haul everything home afterwards.

thats not possible for me because we don't have alot of parking at my house,  also,  I will have more people than will comfortably fit in my house.....I don't think there is anything wrong with it though if it will work for you.

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    First, so sorry to hear about your dad. Second, I agree with pp. I think that if you are okay with having the shower at your house, that's totally fine. Like people already said, your family and friends will understand why your mother doesn't want to have it at her house. Just have the RSVPs go to her since she is hosting.

• Options
    Im so sorry to hear about your Dad - Hope he is doing better and on the road to recovery! 

As for your shower - you and your mom should do whats best for you!  Your friends and family will know and understand about your circumstances, and anyone else - who cares!  
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your dad.  I don't understand why people even think that far when it comes to baby showers. It is all about welcoming the little ones and helping make the load of the parents a little lighter,  Its a celebration and should only be about you and your belly and not where it is held or even whose idea it is.  I agree since your mom is having it she should be the hostess and arrange everything else and yes all the items will already be in the house! AWESOME!  
    Anniversary

image  image  

• Options
    Ladies, thanks for all of your helpful advice!  I was hesitant to post this on the Baby Shower board for the reasons some of you listed.  They can be a little scary and I am too sensitive to handle meanness right now.  

You have made me feel better about having it at my house!  I agree that most people will probably think nothing of it since the invitations will come from my mother, she will be listed as hostess, and the RSVPs will go to her.  

Several of you mentioned not having to lug stuff back home -- that is definitely a plus!  :)

Seriously, thank you.  I feel 100% better about this now.  
    DS born August 2011
    TWINS are on the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"