November 2014 Moms
Options

Making extra cash for baby purchases?

I know that totally sounds like spam, or maybe like I'm propositioning, but I am definitely not! Last night DH and I did our monthly budget and we figured out how much we wanted to save this summer, how much we thought we'd spent on baby things, and how much we'd need for other projects. Then we took our monthly bills and tried to estimate out how much we could save each month. It's a little tough because half DH earnings are commissions and we did a very conservative estimate, and then an estimate using last years #. It looks like we should be okay to do everything, but I'd love to just try and make a little extra "side money" for things. (Like my friend is selling some of her old baby stuff and I might pick it up now even though we weren't planning to spend yet). Anyway- long story short- I am thinking of going through the pile of books I was going to donate to goodwill and creating "bundles" and selling them on eBay. I won't make a ton of money here- but it might be 50-100 dollars. Does anyone have any ideas or things they do to create extra spending money? I have heard of those survey websites but it seems like they can be a little tough to get a handle on. Any ideas would be great! Hopefully some other mommas can get some ideas here too!

Re: Making extra cash for baby purchases?

• Options
    ed16564ed16564 member
    @cheath02‌ yes very good call on actually pulling it OUT of the bank :o)
  • Options
    ed16564ed16564 member
    @lissydee yikes! Hopefully that won't happen :o) you can make lots of money at those yard sales if you try!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My husband works for commissions too. It can be stressful!

I think unless you have really popular books that you would make more money having a garage sale. You could also search your area for used book stores and see if you can sell them that way.

Has anyone offered to throw you a baby shower? I would probably wait and see what you get from that as well.
  • Options
    Are you at all into couponing? It can save you a ton of money even if you dont actually coupon and just shop sales and plan your meals around that.

What about babysitting this summer at night or weekends?

We cut back on tv and just got a Roku and that saved a lot each month. My husband missed the in market sports so we went back but it was a full year run.
  • Options
    ed16564ed16564 member
    We signed a two year cable contract and were only into a year of it- DH loves sports but it still might be cheaper to buy the sports subscription for 60 collars in baseball season than to pay 50/month- but TV is also our only frivolous thing really so I don't know that I want to get rid of it even when we can. We don't go out a lot or see movies in theaters but a couple times a year. So well see.
  • Options
    You can call and see if you'll be able to lower your Internet prices. Most companies slowly raise your rates, and you just need to call, say you're a loyal customer, but you need a better price. Be a little firm and keep asking if that's te best try can do. I cut our bill $30 a month that way.
  • Options
    I would try craigslist or Facebook yard sale groups over eBay, that seems to be the way to go these days. Have you looked into lowering your home and auto insurance? We just shopped around and saved like $100 a month. Also are there any debts you can pay off? I just paid off one of my student loans, so it's one less monthly bill. Or refinancing your mortgage, assuming you aren't planing to move anytime soon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For our first I put away $200/week that was strictly for baby.  This time around I opened up an etsy shop and we will have more saved up then we did last time from the earnings.  We used the money last time for a trip to Jordan on maternity leave and bought everything we needed for the baby without worry of cost.  Since it will be winter I am hoping we can vacation somewhere warmer on my leave this time.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

I have been thinking about this too,  I am so worried about being in a financial crisis once it comes time to pay MIL to babysit.  

I am still working on getting rid of my Harley,  so that will save us some money each month.    Aside from that, I am just trying to buy gift cards so that I have those when money gets tight.   I have already done so much over the past few years to try and get cable/internet costs down and make other things low maintenance. (hair is natural color for example)    DH and I both have money in credit unions for emergencies,  and I just did the flex spending account thing at work to have money taken out of my check pre tax to use for medical bills.

I have tried buying cheaper brands of TP and tissues,  DH was bitching already.   He likes his Quilted Northern and Kleenex brands.....ha ha!       I also turned off the circulation fan mode on our thermostat to try and save some on the electric bill.     

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• Options
    I do eBay and I do pretty well. I started about a year ago selling little things that I outgrew or electronics that I no longer needed or used. I also sell my kids outgrown clothes as well. The market is great for kids clothes.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that during my SAH time, I subcontracted myself through a company called "Odesk" it's basically an online self employment/ work from home company. If you have skills like computer programming, secretarial skills, internet research, sales, etc. The list goes on and on... Wages vary on the company or individual. I work on/ off whenever I find a easy job, I apply, I do it and make the extra cash. I still work my regular job too and that helps a lot with the bills.
  • Options
    I make headbands and name banners on Etsy (Shabby Chic Charlotte) and I am planning on tutoring this summer for incoming kindergarten students at $40/45 minutes. I am stashing away my cash in a mason jar :) I also do youtube, and that brings a tiiiiiiny bit each month.

Clicky links.... hope that is allowed! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    ed16564ed16564 member
    @mander82‌ I feel you. That advice is tough for me because we too have really got those bills as low as we can go without feeling like were being stingy. For example- we keep our house as cool as we want. We don't touch the thermostat- it's literally the same temp in summer and winter (we can't program ours so we just don't touch it) BUT it's not a temperature where I have to pile on blankets in the winter or walk around in my knickers all summer. I try to save $$$ but I don't want to be uncomfortable either. I figure we work hard and the difference would only be about 30/month between comfort and feeling uncomfortable. I don't know if this makes any sense- I'm mobile bumping.
  • Options
    ed16564ed16564 member
    @mamathompson7‌ I'll try and remember to check our your channel at home- I do watching vloggers.
  • Options
    mtusnowmtusnow member
    edited May 2014
    If you are trying to plan and understand your spending better, You Need a Budget is a wonderful easy to use program (with a really friendly helpful forum for when/if you have questions). It's really great for variable incomes and commission based incomes too. Lots of people have success stories about decreasing their debt. I love it and it helps me save and plan and know we can cover our bills (its way better than Quicken and so much more user friendly). Here's a link to their website that includes a $6 savings https://ynab.refr.cc/BMTX7Q8.
    (They have an ~1 month trial period for the software too.)
    I'm not affiliated with the company but love the software and their philosplhies about money.
  • Options
    When I was desperate for cash in college I sold notes and papers online. It was lucrative but also pretty selective as to what they'd accept.

Also if you have a buffalo exchange in your city, that can be an ok way to make some cash (30% of what they will mark as retail usually).

You can usually trade in textbooks to Amazon for a gift card.

I've also had success with half.com (ebays media subsidy).
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    I am a secret shopper. It doesn't bring in a ton of cash but often saves me money on stuff. I get all my oil changes for free and frequently get free meals at restaurants. It's fun because you can pick and choose what you want to do.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I do side jobs on Elance.com. I've done article writing, transcription, creating powerpoints, proofreading, and creating tests and worksheets. It doesn't pay a ton, but I make an extra $100-$200/month.
  • Options
    I clean houses on the side. I work fulltime as it is, dh works full-time and his to college. So I do two to three houses a month comes out to one to two a week. It helps bring in around 650 a month and I only do it for about 17-20hours doingit. I make my own cleaning supplies to avoid harmful fumes.

We have also sold stuff from our house on Craig'slist and eBay. It helps. we have also purchased baby furniture off Craig'slist. You can find good deals that will save you.

It is hard not to spend a lot right now being so excited. stressing over money sucks not good. It normally always works out

• Options
    Have you thought about learning a craft? I knit and crochet and sell many items during the fall/ winter. I also bake, and I started my own lactation cookie business about a year and 1/2 ago. I usually make about $100 per month or more. I made $80 just yesterday :) I've been saving all my cookie money for my birth fund: to pay for my hypnobabies classes, doula, chiropractor appointments :)
  • Options
    Things we do to save money since neither one of us has a desire for a second job...

-Coupon/scour sales ads and menu plan.  Follow a list at the grocery store.
    -Very rarely eat out. 
    -DH is really good about selling stuff on craigslist and Ebay.  I've sold some stuff too - old purses and clothes.
    -I'll babysit every now and then although I kind of have gotten out of this since we started TTC. 

• Options
    My husband and I found that getting rid of cable, getting rid of our home phone, and getting rid of our expensive cell phones have helped us save a ton. Now we use Netflix and Amazon Prime for our tv watching. We invested in Magicjack for our home phone, which is only $30 a year! It was the best thing we've done. We also share one cellphone that we got through Straightalk. It's Verizon service, but it only costs $30 a month for 1500mins, unlimited texts, and 10mb internet. You also don't have to worry about late fees, etc if you can't afford to pay your bill right on time. You can even get the phone for free from their website. Just some ideas.

TTC #1 since November 2008

3 MC: #1 at 8wks (blighted ovum) opted for D&C, #2 at 6wks natural, #3 at 12wks (no heartbeat) opted for D&C.
    EDD 11/11/2014..... Heard a heartbeat for the very first time at 8w2d and I couldn't be more excited!!! The fact that this LO has a heartbeat gives me hope that I may get to be a mother after all!!
  • Options

Our little village is having a community yard sale on June 21st.  I'm ecstatic about it because

A) I won't have to advertise

B) It should attract  larger crowds since it's community wide and is a weekend with a lot of traffic likely flowing through our little village

and most importantly...

C) It's a specific date so both DH and I will have to get our butts in gear and just do it that day

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I know it doesn't make any sense but every time I see this title/subject the first thing that comes to mind is stripping... Don't ask me why, I have no idea... It just does...
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I sell Thirty-One and tutor after school. I used my tutoring money for maternity clothes and the Thirty-One money all goes to the baby fund now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"