2nd Trimester

Harmony test accuracy

Hi all, I'm new to this board.

I just had a question for those who went ahead and did the Harmony test and opted to know the gender of the baby.

At over 12 weeks we got our Harmony test done, 2 weeks later got back our results and I quickly went ahead and ordered our pregnancy announcement/gender reveal cards for all our friends and family.

Then my husband says "oh you ordered those? What if the test is wrong?"

It never even occurred to me that the test could be wrong and now I'm kinda freaked out by that. I searched online for accuracy and other message boards with people answering were back from early 2013 when the test first became an option for people to take. 

Has anyone here taken the test or heard of someone taking the test recently and it was confirmed wrong? 

Re: Harmony test accuracy

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had no idea that gender and sex didn't mean the same thing, thank you so much for clearing that up for me. :) Thank you for answering my question!

Have a blessed day!
  • Loading the player...
  • It could be wrong if they mixed up your sample with someone else's or something, but in general, it is accurate.
  • mb314mb314 member
    edited May 2014
    The tests are accurate, but there can be human error in reporting the results to you.  Someone on my BMB was told the wrong sex at first - the doctor or nurse misread the results to her.  Now, I'm sure that's not common, but you can always request a copy of your Harmony results if you didn't get them to see if it says XX (female) or XY (male)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• mrs190mrs190 member
    They are 99% accurate. They also have a false positive rate of less than 0.5%. I work for the company that does the testing! :)
  • edited May 2014
    Put it this way - if the genotype (sex reported by the lab) does not match the phenotype observed during your anatomy scan, your doctor will likely recommend an amnio. 
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• 95139513 member
    mrs190 said:

They are 99% accurate. They also have a false positive rate of less than 0.5%. I work for the company that does the testing! :)

That being said, can you expedite my results?! Ha! Joking, but really tired of waiting.
  • I'm relieved to hear the results of the rest of your screen came back negative for any complications! I suppose if the sex portion is wrong & the worst you have to do is announce a different sex at birth then you are truly blessed.

There is a small chance the bloodwork is wrong. If that is the case I would wager you might have bigger issues because that could mean there are more serious issues at hand than your announcements.

I hope you don't have to worry about any problems, but honestly, if you get one sex & not the other-- what does it matter in the long run?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"