Third-Party Reproduction
Options

Needing info on being a GC...

I'm considering being a GC for a friend of mine.  I've tried to find info online, but not much.  Can someone enlighten me a bit?  We would not be going through an agency, just using lawyers.  Friend has a blood clotting issue, 80% chance she would die if she could carry.  We would be using her eggs, her DH's sperm, and my uterus!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Needing info on being a GC...

• Options
    IRRIRR member
    Hi, what a great friend you are.  We actually just had a friends daughter offer to be a GC for us and after three failed adoptions, we are so excited.  We just started researching this topic and depending on what state you live in the laws are of course all different.  There are board for surrogacy that include a lot of carriers, and some IP's (intended parents), let me look up the board for you if you are interested in joining, I will message you the group.  GL to all parties involved.

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    I am interested! Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    IRRIRR member
    Send you a PM

Failed Matches - December 2012, May 2013, December 2013
    Moved on to  gestational surrogacy with a family friend who is our angel and due 7/23/15

• Options
    You ladies are wonderful to offer to do this! We are 17w today using a GC! OP, we didn't use an agency just lawyers.
    I have a P ower P oint I made to guide the first discussion we had with our GC and hh. I am happy to send it to you if you PM me your email.

Otherwise, feel free to post specific questions as they come up. It is a lot to deal with but completely worth it!
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Options
    I'm a GSx1 and matched again for #2.  What kind of info are you needing?  What state are you in? Have you checked your insurance benefits package to see if there's a surrogacy exclusion?  Are you and your friends on the same page regarding how many to transfer, termination (and under what scenario) and reduction (at what number of fetus')?  
    Check out the forums on surromomsonline.com and allaboutsurrogacy.com.  There are also a ton of surrogacy related FB groups. 

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    DizzyMom1DizzyMom1 member
    edited May 2014
    Hey there, it's a wild thought isn't it? I am a GC for my aunt, we're currently in the 2 week wait to see if this has worked, we only went through lawyers for our contract and she went through an agency to adopt embryo's. Do you have any specific questions? 
    imageimageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We're in Wisconsin, and only started the conversations on being a GC but I have all those questions on my list to ask.  I'm mostly curious about the actual IVF process.  What injections (if any) will I have on my end?  Is there tracking of my cycle?  I believe we are using frozen eggs, and then thawing...not really sure.  What should I expect during the implantation?
  • Options
    There may or may not be BCP's (not sure since it'll be a frozen transfer.  Lupron (keeps you from ovulating), Estrogen of some sort (patches, pills taken orally, or pills taken vaginally to thicken your lining), and Progesterone (either an injection or a vaginal suppository since you wouldn't have ovulated, you won't have the Corpus Luteum releasing Progesterone naturally).  You'll be on Lupron for a couple of weeks before the transfer and Progesterone from a few days before transfer (usually you would start around the time of retrieval), and you'll continue on Progesterone until 6-12w pregnant.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Mama bear covered it pretty much :)
    The RE I have been with also put you on baby aspirin well you are fluffy up & a antibiotic right before transfer .
  • Options
    @biggdaddy4605 You're an awesome friend for even considering being a GC!  

To answer your questions... 
    What injections (if any) will I have on my end? 
    -If you have any (protocols are different for everyone) they will be for Lupron, estrogen, and/or progesterone.  The injections are not fun, but they are do-able.  If you end up doing them I highly recommend icing before, rubbing the injection site super hard for 2 minutes after.  

Is there tracking of my cycle? 
    -Most likely you'll be put on bcp then before the pills end you'll start lupron. 

I believe we are using frozen eggs, and then thawing...not really sure.  What should I expect during the implantation?  
    -Transfer was a breeze.  The worst part for me was you have to drink (what seemed like) a gallon of water before the transfer and the pain of needing to pee so bad... well you get the idea. 

*****siggy*****
    Me: 33 (Mosaic Turner's Syndrome/POF) 
    DH: 35 (no male factor)
    3/10 - Foster Mr. T for 1 month
    3/11 - Foster AL for 1 year
    7/11 Known donor retrieval 7 fertilized 
    7/11 DE Transfer -BFP & 5 FE
    4/9/12 Miracle baby girl arrives!
    Planning for FET 7/14

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the info!  I hope we will be able to make mine and my friend's dreams a reality!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"