August 2013 Moms

Thursday Discussion

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/mesa/2014/05/19/mesa-yearbook-photos-expectant-students-parents-complain-abrk/2256064/

Cliff notes: A high school dedicated two pages in the yearbook to pregnant students and students with children. What's everybody think..good or bad?

Re: Thursday Discussion

• BlondieBia21BlondieBia21 member
    edited May 2014
    Good. The yearbook is for the students to remember the time as they were in high school.

Eta- I didn't read the article, that was based on your cliff notes.
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • My high school would have a cow, but to be fair, it is a Catholic all-girls high school.

I'm torn about it. On one hand, it is a reality, and the students who raise their children or are in their children's lives AND stay in school are certainly to be commended. I suppose my objection is more that all the yearbooks I've seen and worked on (I advised my school's yearbook for 5 years) focused more on school-related activities so that a majority of the student body could relate. We didn't really get into personal lives too much, except maybe for preferences about cars, movies, songs, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • This one is a tough one. These girls made a mistake. However, they shouldn't be punished indefinitely for it. Good for them for finishing school instead of dropping out. If that happened in LO's year book I would explain that these Moms made a choice that resulted in them becoming adults far too soon, and that I wouldn't want her to be in that situation.

• Although teen pregnancy is an extremely hard thing for the teen moms and the families it affects, but I do commend the girls for not taking the easy way out and dropping out of school. They in my personal opinion should be recognized for that accomplishment. I don't however think that teen pregnancy should be glamorized, because there is nothing glamorous about it.
    A good friend of mine had a baby in high school, she was a great student and involved in school activities, had a great family just made a mistake. She graduated high school and her daughter is now getting ready to graduate high school herself. She is not a statistic she's an honor student and going to college next fall. That is what should be commended!!
  • I haven't read the article. My school had a daycare. They really helped moms graduate. There was no special place in the yearbook about it. Only clubs and sports. If they wanted their children included, they could include pics in the senior section that we got to pick pictures for. I don't get the point. Maybe my view is skewed but I never knew a single girl to drop out from having a baby.
  • I went to a big high school, I had 500 people in my graduating class, and I can say I saw some girls hang in there but a lot just dropped out, every situation is different and you never know what someone's "real" lives are like.
    No judgement from me but I do applaud the girls who pursued school and careers and didn't use being a teen mommy as an excuse. I know just being a 32 year old working mom has its struggles, and I don't have homework and tests to study for at night while caring for my child.
  • I would like to add that I absolutely hate the term "knocked up." It rubs me the wrong way. 

(this is also not being said to start an argument, the term just makes me cringe.)
    A'13 June Siggy Contest- TV Dads
  • I would like to add that I absolutely hate the term "knocked up." It rubs me the wrong way. 

(this is also not being said to start an argument, the term just makes me cringe.)
    No argument here! I think it's sort of a negative term.

• I feel teenagers are so nearsighted when it comes to these things. I understand the school is trying to show how hard it was in these teenage parents but it makes it look "glamorous".

I worked at a school that had a mom's classroom. Those girls got a special lunch time and food. I remember hearing 10th graders talk about how cool it would be to be in the moms classroom. They obviously didn't think about the life altering thing a baby would be. Just that they would get special lunch and away from the teachers they didn't like. I feel like the yearbook spread might do the same.
  • I didn't read the article.

I'm not wild about the idea. I think the yearbook should focus on each class and the extracurricular activities in school.

I am in favor of schools having a daycare program for these children though. Anything that helps these young moms (and dads)finish high school is a good thing.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"