Toddlers: 24 Months+

Have I created a monster?

Meery82Meery82 member
edited May 2014 in Toddlers: 24 Months+
I started laying down with my son for naps when he wasn't feeling good or teething a few weeks ago. When he was feeling better, I would put him in his crib, but he would cry for a long time, so I got him and took him to my bed. So I've been napping (or just laying with him until he falls asleep) pretty much every day now that I'm not at work/he's not at daycare (4 days a week). He would always go to bed at night in his crib with no issue. Well, last night when DH and I went to put him to sleep, he refused to go to DH and started crying when I put him in his crib. I think he was expecting me to take him to our room. Fortunately, he fell asleep after only about 5 minutes of whining/crying.

I think I've really messed up here. How do I get him back to napping in his crib? Find a way to gradually get him back to napping in there or just stick him in there and let him CIO? 
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Have I created a monster?

• I have gone through phases of this with both of mine.  At first I'm happy to be laying down with them and snuggling instead of laundry/dishes whatever but that novelty quickly wears off.  Honestly, I would prepare him during the day that he'll be napping in his crib and then do your normal routine.  I would do checks but yes he'll probably cry.  Usually my kids have that one crappy day and then are back to normal.  Good luck!
  • Meery82Meery82 member
    We'll, we were doing so good. I told him he was going to be napping in his crib like a big boy today. When I put him down, he only cried for about 10 or 15 minutes. Then, less than an hour later, the fucking UPS driver starts and revs his truck right in front of Jack's window! I could've gone out there and stabbed him! So of course, he wakes up and is crying for awhile. I peek in there and he's really chewing hard on his stuffed lamb. I know his teeth were hurting. So I scooped him up and laid down with him. So now he's sleeping in our bed. :\"> I tried. And we will try again on Saturday (daycare/work tomorrow).
  • Loading the player...
  • Meery82Meery82 member
    jfresh said:
    DS goes through phases like this sometimes. I usually end up sitting in his room in the glider until he falls asleep. It works better for naps than at bedtime, but it seems like each time I have to sit there for about a week and then I can start laying him down and walking out again.

Is your H home for bedtime usually? Maybe he can put him to bed alone for a few nights without you, he might associate going to sleep with you and snuggling in your bed because of naps. I think DS knows I'm the softie of my H and I and he goes down better for H because he won't crack like me :)
    Yes, he is. I work tomorrow and don't get home until after Jack goes to sleep, so H will be putting him to bed alone. I actually put him to bed alone tonight since H isn't home. He gave a single squawk as I walked out of the room and that was it. Much better than last night!
  • In my experience, when my son was super groggy or already asleep, I'd set him in his crib and he'd be fine. We took the side off his crib the moment he started acting like spiderman, so, If he woke up, I'd lay next to him with my head on his pillow. (This is the important part: He is laying in his crib still, but I am laying right there next to him!) I was able to gradually lay next to him less and less, I was able to sit in the rocking chair and sing to him without laying on his bed with him. ((As hard as that was for a super attached momma!)) Like yours, my son got sick one night and so we let him sleep with us in our bed for a few nights. He was immediately addicted to that! lol It took some work to get him to lay back in his own bed. Now that he's 3, we've gotten out of our routine somehow these past few months. He asks a lot to sleep in my bed but I tell him no. (Sometimes, I let him do it til he's groggy or finally asleep.) He has a TV in his room, so I tell him IF he lays down quiet and still, he can watch TV in his room til he falls asleep. This accomplishes two things: 1. He stays in his room and his own bed, 2. it encourages him to sit still so he can get sleepy without mommy rocking or singing to him (this kids enjoys a concert every night, momma is tired!) You can set the TV's sleep timer for, say, an hour or 2 (or however long you expect your kid to slip off into dreamland) so that way if you can't manage to stay up a minute longer, you don't have to crawl out of bed just to turn the thing off.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"