February 2014 Moms
Options

Rejecting Bottles

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: Rejecting Bottles

• Options
    iwubroryiwubrory member
    edited May 2014

We have to give DD a little in a bottle every day or she'll start refusing and we have to start the process of getting her to drink out of one again. I'm currently dealing with that now. We've had the best luck with Momma bottles that have the Lansinoh NaturalWave nipples.

Eta DH had to offer one every day for a little over two weeks before we got her to drink out of one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    It's taken DD a couple weeks at DC taking 3 bottles/day to get the hang of it. Are you giving her a bottle at all during the week? Maybe she's "forgetting" because she only has to take one every so often.

You might look in to temp of the bottle - through experimentation, I figured out DD will only take a bottle if it's super warm (body temp). Once it starts to cool even slightly, she won't have it.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    tenfourtenfour member
    edited May 2014
    For my first it was a temperature thing. We tried EVERYTHING. Nipples, bottles, we put maple syrup on the nipple even. What finally worked was my husband heat up the milk super warm and she took it just like that. 

ETA: oops ! ^^ Guess I just seconded that temp thought.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    To suggest the temp, just let her know you've asked some "friends" ;) and that warming it up hotter worked for someone else's baby. 

My LO1 hated bottles, my sister found sitting him up propped up by her knees was the only way he'd take a bottle initially. So weird, but it worked.  She can try various positions and see if LO is happier in a more non-traditional hold. You could also try using an open cup, some babies will actually lap out of it (like a dog...sigh). Or spoon feed. It sucks but you have to feed the baby.

But you may find if she's only getting it once a week, she may always be resistant since it's not the norm for her. 

So long as she's taking in some milk, she's not going to starve one 10hr day but it's going to be one miserable day for everyone every week.  And if she doesn't drink anything the bigger risk is dehydration especially as she gets older/more active.  I would be working towards figuring out a solution to get more than 3oz in her.

Good luck, I know how stressful it is to worry your baby isn't eating.

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"