Working Moms

Trip away for work ....9 month old at home

bino63bino63 member
edited May 2014 in Working Moms

My boss recently approached me with a training opportunity to incorporate a program into work I have been waiting for a long time for. However it involved 4 days away from my 9 month old. We have yet to successfully get him used to anyone else put him to bed or get up with him in the night time. He just cries and cries and cries.

If I don't take this opportunity in one month I will be passed over. But with nursing my son... he is so attached to me... I do not see anyway I can leave him with my husband and mom. They are also not confident in taking care of him over night because I believe he has screamed so many times for them they get nervous. Ugh.... maybe some sound words of advice or suggestions will help me.

Re: Trip away for work ....9 month old at home

• Have you ever been away overnight before? I think there's a big difference with LO accepting comfort from someone else when they know you are not there vs knowing that moms trying to sleep in the next room. Yes it will be hard, but it's only a few days, they will survive. It also might be the thing to get LO to finally accept bedtime with someone else. This could be a really good thing for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PPs.  Babies do miraculous things when mom is not home.  They have some sort of mom radar when you are there and trying to pass off a substitute.  How much time do you have before this trip?  Can you work on his ability to go down with others? 

Do you have the ability to take your mom and baby with you? 

• Loading the player...
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    Do it. He will be fine and they will learn how to deal with it. I've found the quicker you can get people to help you as a working mom the better! I know it's tough, I travelled when my kids were babies and it was harder on me than anyone else. It might take a day or two for your DH and son to get into a groove, but once they are there then you will be able to ease your mind about future trips or things you want to do for yourself. I know you want to think only his mommy could be the one he needs, but he WILL be ok without you for a few days and you will be better off if you can get some help and not have to stress that you are the only one that can take on bedtime. If DH complains remind him that you are a team, he can take one for the team so you can do this. It's not much to ask compared to pregnancy and childbirth that we go through!
  • I say go, it is scary the first time but your husband and mom will figure it out. My son was 4 months and 9 months when I left a couple of days for work (also BF) and it was good for me, my husband and man did I feel refreshed. My husband was able to really bond and learn how to calm his son and he felt more confident.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"