February 2014 Moms
Options

Nursing positions

Now that our LOs are a little older and a little bigger, is anyone using different nursing positions? We are still using the boppy and cross cradle for daytime nursing (although LO seems less comfortable with this now than she did in the early days) and side lying in bed at nighttime. Thoughts?

Re: Nursing positions

• Options
    We do the same as you. I never really switched it up for the 10.5 months I nursed DD1.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    I pretty much always do cradle with a Boppy when I'm at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My squirmy worm moves all over and she is happy with it. When NIP, I have started having her sit facing me, while I support her back. She has difficulty moving as much in that position, and hugs my boob, instead of arm flailing.

I stopped caring for official positions, and just focused on what works for us. We all have different body and baby proportions. One thing may work for me, that doesn't work for you....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I usually do cradle/cross cradle with the boppy just because it's comfortable. We'll do sidelying early in the morning sometimes. I never got the hang of football hold with either of them. I'll also sit her up and nurse her--same position she'd be in if she was in the carrier. We'll do that with or without the carrier.

This thread will be more interesting when we're nursing toddlers. I swear DS would try to get his feet up over my shoulders and hang upside down to nurse sometimes...

image image
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    karichkarich member
    I ditched the boppy weeks ago, but still do the cross cradle hold during the day.
    At night, it's side lying only.
  • Options

For those that do the side lying at night with LO-do you then pick LO up and burp or just let them go back to sleep when finished?

If she is awake or fussy I burp her to clear any bubbles making her uncomfortable. But if she is sound asleep on the boob, I just put her back to bed.
  • Options
    tenfourtenfour member
    I don't know the names of the holds but he's usually across me on the boppy or a pillow unless it's the moth and then it's side lying (as of the last few days).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    tenfourtenfour member
    ciurke3 said:
    For those that do the side lying at night with LO-do you then pick LO up and burp or just let them go back to sleep when finished?
    If she is awake or fussy I burp her to clear any bubbles making her uncomfortable. But if she is sound asleep on the boob, I just put her back to bed.
    I usually fall asleep and my husband picks him up so I have no idea! I think he burps though.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    karichkarich member

No burping.
  • Options
    I am lame and still heavily rely on my Brest friend pillow and cross cradle just like when he was a newborn. I never got the hang of any other positions and I find my back hurts when I try to feed him without the pillow. I really need to ditch the pillow though because it is making me timid about NIP and I need to get over that so I can leave the house more! 8-}
  • Options
    We do football... Sort of. She curls her body kinda around my side. Her new thing is sitting up, which is still awkward for me.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options
    Metreky21 said:

I am lame and still heavily rely on my Brest friend pillow and cross cradle just like when he was a newborn. I never got the hang of any other positions and I find my back hurts when I try to feed him without the pillow. I really need to ditch the pillow though because it is making me timid about NIP and I need to get over that so I can leave the house more! 8-}

I can't remember if you were in the bf check in when we talked about nip. I generally cross cradle -- with a pillow at home, without in public. I find it tremendously helpful to prop my feet up on something for some extra support. I've used the stroller, the booth/chair across from me, the bench I'm sitting on, etc. I also have put something under him to act as a pillow -- folded blanket, etc.
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I was! I have done the blanket thing and the propping feet up but I still end up hunched over and my back hurting. He's getting really good head control though so I think it's just a matter of time before it's easier. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"