Parenting
Options

Coughing Kid - Need help - Update

Littledeer84Littledeer84 member
edited May 2014 in Parenting
DD came back from visiting her grandparents with a pretty bad cough. She was up most of last night, and so was I, trying to sooth her. It seems like one of those coughs caused by the nasal discharge dripping in her throat. We tried Zarbees Cough syrup, humidifier running, honey, benedryl to dry her sinuses, and vicks vapor rub on her feet and chest. But none of it seemed to comfort her much. Any suggestions on other ways to sooth the cough? She is staying home from daycare today with H, I think he wants to take her to the doctor, although I am pretty sure it is just a virus she will have to get over on her own.

Update: The doctor says she has croup! He is putting her on prednisone for treatment. I know that it is a steriod - my Mom has been on it for a chronic condition she has. Anyone know what to expect while she is on it? I really want her to get some rest, as she has barely slept for the past couple days. Hopefully we are on the path to recovery. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Coughing Kid - Need help - Update

• Options
    Elevation while sleeping and cool mist humidifier.  Hoping she feels better soon!

• Options
    We will sometimes just hang out in the bathroom with the shower on as hot as it will go, the steam usually helps. I also sometimes put a glob of vapor rub on the drain so the steam has a nice menthol smell to it. 
    image       image

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    JSNotoJSNoto member
    Sit her in the steamy shower for a while with you (really in the shower).  If you haven't already invested in it, get some of the saline mist (absolute must to have on hand).  What about baby Vick's Vapor Rub?  
    Like you, I gave up on all those other meds after no success but am doing what I can to stick with the humidifier.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, I texted H your suggestions!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read that there was an ingredient in pineapples that helps suppress a cough. We have been trying pineapple juice with DS to see if it works and have had some luck with it. Worth a shot since it's just juice, his cough doesn't sound as bad as your DD's though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"