Pregnant after IF
Options

Newbie! Hydrosalpinx - need advice from PAIF ladies!

Hi Ladies!! Visiting from 3T and looking for advice from anyone who has had 1 tube removed & had luck getting pregnant on their own or with IUI.
*copying & pasting previous post from 3T*
My name is Hollie and I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself - I am 28 year old female (no previous pregnancies) & I have been with my fiance for 4 years (recently engaged on Christmas) .. Was hoping to start wedding planning, but now I can't even concentrate on that. Here is my story (I'll try to keep it short) .. Hopefully some of you will be able to give me advice, as right now I am an emotional wreck!

LONG STORY SHORT: Been with my fiance 4 years - been TTC for past 3 years - no luck!
Since May 2011 I have been under the impression that I have a right ovarian cyst. I fired my first ob/gyn after getting a second opinion, which now he is fired as well. After my last ultrasound I found out I have a hydrosalpinx of the right fallopian tube... Luckily I work in the medical field and was able to pull my past ultrasounds and come to find out - I NEVER had an ovarian cyst... So for the past 3 years my tube has been blocked!! I am FURIOUS over this thought!! Fired the 2nd doc, and now new ob/gyn looked over everything and referred me to a RE, which happens to be his brother. RE is saying I need a laparoscopy to repair/remove the right tube and it is possible that he may have to remove the left as well. They can fit me in as soon as Monday June 2nd, but do I want another opinion??? I am so nervous & scared! Last night met with RE again to sign consent paperwork and he did a SA on my fiance. He is in great shape - olympic swimmer sperm - so obviously I am the issue with my blocked tube.

I am so lost, furious, sad, upset, overwhelmed - to say the least. I do not know what to do. The possibility of waking up with no tubes scares the crap out of me. Obviously I have to get the surgery. HSG not an option, RE said fluid would sit in blocked tube and create more problems. He also said MRI wasn't needed - he will get a better view by doing lap.
I just can't stop thinking the worst! I know some people will say IVF is an option, but it is so expensive and not covered by my insurance (only IUI)... My parents are both older (70's) and I would love to give them a grandchild sooner rather than later. My head is in so many directions. HELP!

Re: Newbie! Hydrosalpinx - need advice from PAIF ladies!

• Options
    I know it is overwhelming. (((Hugs)))

I think that a lap is your best option. A lap is an investigational surgery. The doctor is telling you what he thinks he/she will do based on the information they have right now. If the situation is different when the dr. gets in there, they will have to make a decision based on what they find.

For example, I had a lap where they discovered (and fixed!) a septate uterus when the HSG and MRI said it was bicornuate.

As PP said, knowing the problems is a HUGE step in fighting IF. Even if you need you need IVF, it is better to know it now than 2 years from now. Knowledge is POWER. You can do this!
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Options
    YlvelillYlvelill member
    edited May 2014
    I tried to have my tube fixed but it failed and they had to go back in to remove it. I can't answer if I would have gotten pregnant naturally with iui after because we did ivf for other reasons. I would however say we did get pregnant on our first try and we had been ttc for 4 years before that with the tube issue going undiagnosed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SKLHSKLH member

I had both tubes removed via laparoscopy. I can't comment on IUIs since we had to remove both of mine so we never tried IUIs but I have to say, if they're both damanged (as much as this REALLY sucks) it' sbetter to just have them both removed. I've seen many girls keep their tubes (or one tube) and then end up with a eptopic pregnancy b/c the tube wasn't full functunal. To me, that's more tramatic than just removing them both but maybe that's because I've already removed mine. I actually went through 1 laparoscopy and refused to consent tho them removing my tubes but after a failed IVF cycle they insisted that I remove them as they were creating  toxic enivronment for the embryos we were transferring. So, I had to go through another laparoscopy to have them removed. I honestly wish I would have just done it in the begininning and listened to my RE. After my first RE told me they needed to be removed, I saught out a 2nd opinion and they said the same thing. After 2 opinons I was convinced.

Me (28) DH (32)  Endometriosis                                                                                   IVF  #1 (1/2013) - 17 Retrieved, 16 Mature, 14 Fertilized- 2 transferred- BFN
    FET #1 (7/2013) - 2 embryos - BFN
    FET #2 (9/2013) - 2 emrbyos - BFN
    New RE. Fresh Start
    IVF  #2 (2/2014) - 25 Retrieved, 19 Mature, 16 Fertilized, 9 blasts.
                                 CGH Testing: 6 Normal
    FET #3 (4/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 35 Beta #2: 16 :(
    FET #4 (5/2014) -1 embryo -  BFP! Beta#1: 321!!! Beta #2: 727.9!
    6/5/2014 Heartbeat! 144bpm It's a girl!
    Due January!

• Options
    I had a similar situation, asked them to remove the 2nd tube only if it would interfere with IVF. 2nd tube was open on the HSG but closed during surgery 3 months later. They gave me a 15% chance of ever getting pregnant and most likely ectopic if I did. Really wish now I had both removed as I needed IVF and now we are done trying it's still there that could cause an ectopic ( although so very remote due to a complete fertilisation failure during IVF # 1. They said no male factor for us either, 153 million SA but yet we had the complete fertilisation failure. Please know I am not trying to be obnoxious when I say this, all that matters is having a take home baby, not the body parts like tubes. We all do what we have to do to get there. Yes IVF is very expensive. I was 34 when dig noises so had to jump right in as we wanted to have more than 1 child and not wait until I was older and therefore. Lower likelihood of success with IVF. How does your FSH and AMH look? If it doesn't look like your eggs are older th a your actual age the. You will be able to save enough to do IVF while still relatively young. Yes it really sucks but try as much as possible to be glass half full, if we all faced these issues 30 years ago there would have been no hope but now there is. Yes it is expensive but u can save like crazy and make it happen. Also u can look at loans, credit cards etc to make it happen. Where there is a will there is a way! We had bought our 4 bedroom house in the suburbs ready to start a family, if it had meant loosing the house to get pregnant we would have done it cause what good is the house we bought to raise a family if we can't afford the medical treatments for the family. We were very lucky and I am on my 2nd pregnancy now and only spent 30K. Numbers sound scary but having a baby is such the biggest thing that really it is very worth it. With how much we all spend in cars and housing etc 30K in the big scheme of things iver our whole lives is not that bad to make ur dream come through. I know how u are feeling right now, pretty terrible. I literally had to lie down not he floor in my REs office as I thought I was going to pass out on hearing the severity if my diagnosis. It's so hard to hear. But there is hope, never forget that, after bad news we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and move forward. It's not easy but hang in there, it will be ok!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"