Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Binky or Not??????

My dd is almost 14mths and i'm on the fence about how or when to take away her bink. We try not to give it to her during the day anymore but she always seems to find one at some point. At her 1yr check up her dr said to start taking it away now. I just don't know if i should let her have it at night for a few more weeks/months or should i just do away with it? Does your child still use it? Til what age? How did you take it away? Thoughts......Thanks! 

Re: Binky or Not??????

• Options
    KisstyKissty member
    We were also told at the 1 yr. check up to take away the binky.  It wasn't happening bc DS wasn't a great sleeper and the binky really helped.  He started sleeping better around 16 mos. and we were only giving the binky at nap and bedtime.  He also fell and broke a tooth around that time. His mouth was sore so we didn't give him the binky for his nap and it went really well.  So that made our decision to get rid of the binky easy.  In all honesty just chunk it.  Within a day or two your DD will have forgotten all about it.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Our plan was to take the pacifier away at one year but that didn't happen. DD got her one year molars shortly after turning one and she chewed on her pacifier constantly. It's still her go-to method for soothing. At her 18 month appointment the pedi said we need to start taking it away then said "my son will absolutely not sleep without it". So we've weaned her down to use only at bed and naptime. I figure some day she won't want it anymore.
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    =Lee=B=Lee=B member

14 months here and we use one for naps and nighttime.  When she is sick or we are out and messing up naps we bring one for when she is fussy. 

We only ever had 4 soothers so she doesn't find them during the day anyways.  They cost $5 a piece we were too cheap to buy them by the dozen.

Oddly enough just last week I went and bought 4 more because she started waking up and getting her own soother then going back to sleep (finally) so we figured having a bunch in the crib is wise.  But, we still leave them all in the crib.

My advice would be to limit them to the crib and gather them all up and make sure they are only in the crib.  Out of sight out of mind.  I'd rather have 14month olds talking and babbling while awake than sucking on a soother.   I have the feeling my daughter will ditch her own soother in the coming months.  She's never kept it in while sleeping, she only uses it until she is about to fall asleep then spits it out.  We have a video monitor and she still does this.  She wakes every few hours and looks for it then spits it out as she falls asleep. 

It soothes her but she isn't overly reliant on it.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Almost 12 months and only use the paci at night and naps. My son uses it to fall asleep and once or twice during the night he will wake up and look for it. He is currently cutting his molars and has been pretty miserable but once he is done getting these molars, I want to get rid of the paci. I will probably just go cold turkey.
  • Options
    My pedi has never mentioned to me either. We plan on doing it around 18 months. She only uses it at home. My pedi did however mention that we should stop the bottles at her 15 month well baby check.
  • Options
    My DD is 21 months old and only uses her paci for when she goes to sleep. My DH and I made the mistake of always giving it to her when she would be upset or fussy and when she changed rooms at her daycare she did not do well to the change and wanted her paci every minute of the day. Once she got much more comfortable with the new room she was in with some new classmates and teachers we knew she just had it to suck on and didn't really need it so we started limiting it for just going to sleep. She did fine with only using it when she went to sleep. There were 2 days that I can remember she was fussy and wanted it but I got her mind off of it with other things and that helped and she didn't bother asking for it after that. I'm not too worried about getting her off of it right now because I want to see if she will ditch it on her own but if she doesn't show interest in giving it up then I will consider getting her to stop using it.
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    Before having DS, I was anti-pacifier.  But honestly DS loves his pacifier.  I know we've created a monster, but he is very attached to binkies.  He sleeps with one in his mouth and one in his hand.  Our pediatrician didn't seem too worried at our 20 month check up that he still had a pacifier.  DS is the type of kid who is very sensitive and the binky is a huge security item for him.  I think I need to wait a while before even limiting it to bedtime and naptime.  I hope by 2 to have it almost completely gone, but for now, I'm letting him have it.

• Options
    cmrand4cmrand4 member
    We weaned DS2 slowly from paci.  First, dropped using it around the house, then dropped naps, then nighttime.  He definitely needed it to sleep and I kept having to get up at night to find it for him. It was exhausting.  Finally, I ditched all of the pacis. DH was not on board with this because he just wanted DS to sleep at night but in the long run he needed to learn some self soothing without the paci.  We've been a paci free house since about 15 mos.  Honestly, I should have ditched it sooner.  It went much much easier than I thought it would.  Now he puts himself to sleep by talking and rubbing his hand on his crib sheet.  Ditch the paci asap!! ( Also, turns out DS has a speech delay and low muscle tone in his mouth.  While there is not definitive research that pacis cause speech delays, common sense says they cant practice making speech sounds with their mouth plugged up. Just food for thought.)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"