September 2012 Moms
Options

Interview Outfit-How would you do this?

I have two job interviews scheduled this week:  One on Thursday and one on Friday.  They are both within a few minutes of the place I work now and, since my boss is supportive of my job-seeking, I scheduled them at lunchtime.  I figure I will just check out for lunch, go to the interview and come back when I'm done.  My boss is 100% ok with this.  However, the other bosses, director, CEO, HR, etc. would not be ok with it.  So I am trying to figure out how to dress appropriately for an interview without tipping off the powers-that-be.  

Since it's warm outside and our office is business casual, I can't do a skirt and button-up without looking funny.  I almost always wear a skirt, heels and button-up shirt for an interview, but I can't wear that to work.  There is really no where to change as I work in a dangerous area, so changing in my car or even stopping at McDonald's or something to change is not really possible.  Any ideas?  Help!

Re: Interview Outfit-How would you do this?

• Options
    What do you usually wear to work?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    When it's warm out usually capris and a blouse or solid-colored t-shirt.  Sometimes a skirt with a t-shirt.  Always flats.  On Friday my dilemma is greater because it's casual day, meaning jeans and a t-shirt.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I, personally, would just make a five minute pit-stop to change.  Trying to coordinate it any other way wouldn't be worth the headache to me.  Good luck!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    watercolor5watercolor5 member
    edited May 2014
    I'd probably wear a suit with a skirt.  I'd wear the skirt with a blouse to work, and just throw the jacket on for the interview.

ETA: I agree with MississippiCatfish about just changing outfits on casual day.
  • Options
    Wear a skirt with a tee and hang a blouse and blazer or button up in your car with a pair of heels. Throw everything on over your outfit before the interview.
    This is what I was going to say exactly. Adding a jacket and changing shoes will be the perfect switch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I also was going to suggest what spoof suggestion. Good luck at your interviews!!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    miss50miss50 member
    Best of luck. 

I've used so many different places to change clothes.  I'd find somewhere to change.  Do you have a clothing location nearby that you could make the stop?  I'd buy hose or something that I could use in the future just to make a purchase so it wasn't as awkward.

• Options
    I, personally, would just make a five minute pit-stop to change.  Trying to coordinate it any other way wouldn't be worth the headache to me.  Good luck!

This. I don't think it's worth the stress of trying to figure out how to not be noticed. Just stop somewhere and change.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Options
    This neighborhood is not at all safe, so I don't think I can change anywhere.  The weather took a cooler turn, so I was able to wear dress pants and a blouse with a sweater today.  I'll trade the sweater for a blazer before the interview.  My boss is even going to give me a ride there because there is no good place to park and he's concerned for my safety.  I have to ask them about that in the interview.

I'm going to try to bring a skirt tomorrow that I can slide over my jeans in the car and then shimmy the jeans off.  I'm going to have to work on the logistics tonight.  I may just wear the skirt to work.
  • Options
    KisstyKissty member
    No advice - just wanted to say Good Luck!

imageimage 

• Options
    Tomorrow can you just say you have plans right after work with no time to change?  Then you have a good excuse to wear the skirt.

Good luck!  It's scary that you live in such a scary area.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    Tomorrow can you just say you have plans right after work with no time to change?  Then you have a good excuse to wear the skirt.

I don't live in a scary area, I work in a scary area.  This is where the most need is.  My damn bleeding heart....
  • Options

I don't live in a scary area, I work in a scary area.  This is where the most need is.  My damn bleeding heart....
    They're lucky to have you!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Options
    This neighborhood is not at all safe, so I don't think I can change anywhere.  The weather took a cooler turn, so I was able to wear dress pants and a blouse with a sweater today.  I'll trade the sweater for a blazer before the interview.  My boss is even going to give me a ride there because there is no good place to park and he's concerned for my safety.  I have to ask them about that in the interview.

I'm going to try to bring a skirt tomorrow that I can slide over my jeans in the car and then shimmy the jeans off.  I'm going to have to work on the logistics tonight.  I may just wear the skirt to work.

I would wear the skirt with a shirt that isn't dressy with some flats... then you could throw on the blazer when you get in the car and change your shoes.

Have you already had your interview today? How did it go?

• Options
    kdsmith43 said:

I would wear the skirt with a shirt that isn't dressy with some flats... then you could throw on the blazer when you get in the car and change your shoes.

Have you already had your interview today? How did it go?

I just got back from today's interview.  It went well but the pay is so low I don't think it's worth pursuing.  They can't figure out why mental health is in such a crisis in this country yet they want people to go into prisons and provide counseling but want to pay them less than $30,000 a year.  Ugh.

Thanks for asking though.  I think the one tomorrow will pay better so I'm still optimistic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"