May 2014 Moms
Options

Gripe Water vs. Gas Drops

usernewnameusernewname member
edited May 2014 in May 2014 Moms
What's your go-to? DS is so gassy at night, I need to try something, I plan on running to the drug store when DH comes home. It seems to be a matter of preference, but I'd like to hear what you ladies have to say. 

ETA: changed DS to DH. One of the men in my house. 

Re: Gripe Water vs. Gas Drops

• Options
    I didn't have much luck with gripe water, so we stuck with gas drops. But I would try gripe water first — a lot of people swear by it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    What are some gas drops I can use? Because gripe water isn't working

It's a BOY

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah gripe water is more natural as it contains fennel. To me its more what is going to work - he's so loud at night!
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    Gripe water never did anything for us and I wasn't particularly impressed with the ingredients. It's basically just really expensive sweetened herbal tea. Gas drops were much more effective.

If your LO is formula fed, try mixing the formula with a spoon instead of shaking it or swirling it. Eliminating bubbles and foam at the source helped us more than anything else.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    usernewnameusernewname member
    edited May 2014
    He's BF. I know part of the problem he's so asleep at night when I burp him we get no where (he will in-between feedings when I stop him to burp, but not after). During the day he burps no problem.
  • Options
    @jenb_99 I usually have more luck with the over the shoulder. But if I can't, I try the sitting up burb, rocking him side-to-side and in circles. But I don't at night - I will try it tonight! :) This is the one thing I can't figure out with this kid lol
  • Options
    hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited May 2014
    We are currently using gripe water. It seems to work really well for her. Right after we give it to her she usually passes gas or burps. She then will eat and sleep. She gets so gassy that her tummy hurts and she doesn't want to eat so now I just give that to her if I can't get her to burp or pass gas doing things like massage or different ways of burping. Then she will eat and fall asleep since the gas was keeping her up she gets frustrated that she can't sleep and she can't get the gas out. Anyway I would try the gripe water first since it is more natural but if that doesn't work then go for the gas drops. That's what we are going to do anyway. Use this unless it stops working.

• Options
    MaciC said:

We use both, but seem to have better luck with gas drops at this point. I feel bad using it all the time, so I still try gripe water now and then.

Yes I fear of becoming dependent on them. But I have read the gassiness does pass.
  • Options
    danabsddanabsd member
    I use both. Gas drops (Litte Tummies) mainly for bad gas. Gripe water for bottle feeding more as a preventative measure.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I bought some gripe water today as DD2 has been gassy the past few days (to the point where she has trouble staying asleep sometimes, especially at night) but so far, it hasn't seemed to help much (she's currently up in her crib grunting away).  Tomorrow we'll go back out in search of gas drops!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member

@MaciC said:

We use both, but seem to have better luck with gas drops at this point. I feel bad using it all the time, so I still try gripe water now and then.

Yes I fear of becoming dependent on them. But I have read the gassiness does pass.
    It's impossible to become dependent on gas drops. They're made of a type of liquid silicone that does nothing but break surface tension on foam and bubbles. They affect only the bubbles themselves, not the body's ability to handle them or digest food. They pass straight through the digestive tract and never even enter the bloodstream.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I bought some gripe water and we got two big burps. Here's to hoping it works!
  • Options
    We use both. Gripe water works wonders with hiccups. Cj would hiccup until he started heaving, and sometimes vomiting, after every meal. Even with a good burp. Yes vomiting, not spit up. Now if he gets the hiccups they're gone by the time I'm done even giving him the gripe water. Not so sure about how it does with gas because I usually give in and go for the gas drops which I KNOW will fix it. I keep saying I'm going to try them for gas, we just haven't yet. The gas drops seem to make him constipated though so I try and avoid them if possible.
    May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    JKBMA2014 said:

What are some gas drops I can use? Because gripe water isn't working

Little remedies for tummys brand is what we use and it works wonders. It's very fast acting and the dropper makes dosing super easy.
  • Options
    We use both - gas drops has worked better when she seems very uncomfortable. It works instantly for us.
  • Options
    Walmart also has an equate brand that has the same ingredients as little remedies and super cheap like 2 something a bottle. They work just as well as we've been dealing with gas here too and are on our second bottle already in three weeks. My pediatrician recommended giving them before every feeding and treating crying spells with them if all else has been checked. They are saving my sanity at night
  • Options
    Gas drops here.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    Hi all- how do you give gripe water to your babies? My son is EBF and I just gave it to him little by little with the dropper and he totally coughed and swallowed down the wrong tube. I feel terrible!
  • Options
    I use a Tylenol syringe since my gripe water didn't come with anything.

I stick it in the side of DS mouth while he feeds. It can't be the tastiest. I find if I do it after then it wakes him up. I I give it at the start of a feed The burps magically happen right after while he still doZes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"