August 2013 Moms
Options

Evening birthday party

So I live in the desert and it will be well into the triple digits by the time LO's bday comes around. We were planning an indoor outdoor backyard party thinking if we do it in the evening it'd be bearable since summer nights out here are usually great. So would a 1 year old party starting at like 5:30 be too late? It's the summer don't think any kids would still be in summer school and it would be on a Saturday.

All the parties we've been invited to have either been morning or afternoon and even now in spring the morning ones got really warm...
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Evening birthday party

• Options
    I live in the south and I'm also trying to decide how to beat the heat for LO's birthday. My LO sometimes goes to bed at 6, so 5:30 could possibly be too late for some. (He usually doesn't nap well). It's your LO's birthday though so do what works for you!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd be OK with that.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• Options
    Yea his bedtime depends on his last nap and can be anywhere from 6-8 but like you guys said its his bday right! And usually if he's having fun or diatracted he won't get fussy even if he is a bit over tired.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Jackson was born 8/11/2013 3:53 am 6 lbs 12 oz
  • Options
    If you're planning on having other LOs around that age, just keep in mind the whole early bedtime thing.  DS starts his bedtime routing between 6-6:30 (that's just eating dinner), and is in bed between 7-7:30, so for us, that timing wouldn't work.  It's possible he'd be fine staying up later, but I have yet to risk keeping him out later and finding out the hard way it was a mistake.  

You ultimately have to do what works best for you and your LO though, and if people can't make it, for whatever reason, they'll just miss out.  As for us, we're having DD's 2nd birthday party this Sunday at 3pm, outdoors, and we're in the south where it'll be hot too, but that works best for her schedule.  We're throwing an ice cream party, and the kids can play outside or inside as well, but the ice cream and toppings bar will definitely be outside, LOL!
    10/10: Married; 5/11: Dx: Blocked Fallopian Tube; 7/11: D&C/Hysteroscopy to remove polyp
    IVF #1: 9/11: ER: 12R, 11M, 10F, No Frosties; 5dt: 2 blasts, 1 morula; DD born 6/3/12
    IVF #2: 11/12-12/12: ER: 20R, 20M, 16F, 4 Frosties; 5dt: 3 blasts, DS born 8/9/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think that's too late. The only problem I can see is that your LO might be riled up or over tired when bedtime rolls around. But it's one night and it's his birthday, so WGAF?! :) 

This for sure!

• Options
    vulpinivulpini member
    Are you planning on inviting people with LOs the same age as yours or younger?  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't side eye you, especially if that's normal in your location because of the heat. Just keep in mind that it would fall during most people's dinner. I would just make sure to serve some actual food along with the cake.
       image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    photo s622_zps5a9557e5.jpg photo 7ed57166-3187-446e-8404-f2ef169fe40f_zps238c4d05.jpg photo s620_zps504f3ce2.jpg
  • Options
    It really depends on your audience, so to speak. How old are the kids that will be attending the party? For us personally, that's a little late for a party. Bedtime routines for both of our kids start at 6 PM. We don't like to mess those up too much unless it's a special occasion… So if it was a really close friend, we might do it. But otherwise we'd probably skip out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"