One & Done: Only child

Can we have a quick judgment post?

Yesterday we went over our friends' house for a BBQ. They have twin 2 year old boys that are, well, rambunctious, to say the least. They are constantly running, pushing, shoving, scratching, biting--you name it. Our friends are also, by no means, helicopter parents and tend to leave the kids unattended far more than I would be comfortable with. Like I wouldn't step outside to smoke for 10 minutes and leave two 2 year olds loose. Anyway, this is not really the judgment part, I'm just trying to paint a picture that these kids are very active, tend to hurt one another often and it usually occurs when an adult is in another room or out of sight (which is quite often). The friends just had the interior of their house painted and I noticed that they had removed the baby gate that went across their basement stairs (our houses have open stairwells to the basements-- no doors). I came inside to get a break from the sun and her kids were having a party in front of the stairs and I caught one of them right before he started to push the other one. When I asked if they were putting the gate back up, they were like "No, they're usually pretty good about staying away from the stairs when we tell them to." Did I mention this was seconds after I saved one kid from falling down the freakin' stairs? And, of course, no one was watching them? She claimed the gate damages the wall so it just wasn't worth it. (WTF?!)

I guarantee you that one of those kids is going to fall down the stairs by the end of this month. I know I shouldn't care that much but it drives me nuts because it's such a simple safety measure.

Done. Who's next?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Can we have a quick judgment post?

• eyenigheyenigh member
    Seriously. I know it's a different life when you have two at this age but they just don't watch them well and then they get very angry and surprised when the kids do something wrong. When they're left to their own devices, what do you expect?

• Loading the player...
  • That is scary @eyenigh.

Did you tell them about one of the kids almost falling down?

One of my cousins always boasts about how she buys organic produce, organic milk, buys beef that's from grass fed cows and constantly criticizes other family members for  not doing so as well. I find that beyond obnoxious but I never say anything.

I for one, couldn't care any less what someone eats or feeds their kids. Some people cant afford organic food and to be honest I wouldn't want to constantly worry about if what I am eating is organic.

BTW this same person takes her kids to McDonalds almost weekly and eats at restaurants that don't serve organic food. This is from her FB where she posts every single thing she does, buys, or eats.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• eyenigheyenigh member

That is scary @eyenigh.

Did you tell them about one of the kids almost falling down?

One of my cousins always boasts about how she buys organic produce, organic milk, buys beef that's from grass fed cows and constantly criticizes other family members for  not doing so as well. I find that beyond obnoxious but I never say anything.

I for one, couldn't care any less what someone eats or feeds their kids. Some people cant afford organic food and to be honest I wouldn't want to constantly worry about if what I am eating is organic.

BTW this same person takes her kids to McDonalds almost weekly and eats at restaurants that don't serve organic food. This is from her FB where she posts every single thing she does, buys, or eats.

She watched me grab him and told me "He would've been fine." He would NOT have been fine. This person is also obsessed with organic foods but then gives zero fucks about actual safety. She thinks organic beef hot dogs are essentially made out of the same parts as like a steak would be. I was like, "Um, you know it's still made out of various cow parts-- but just from organic/grass-fed cows, right?" She swears it isn't true. I find misinformed people who refuse to hear anything else so frustrating.

• My niece fell and broke her wrist and elbow trying to help her teacher last week. Instead of going to the ER my sister took her the the chiropractor she works for b/c it is free. He obviously was like umm she needs to go to the ER.... 

Sometimes she is such an idiot.
  • eyenigh said: 
    She watched me grab him and told me "He would've been fine." He would NOT have been fine. This person is also obsessed with organic foods but then gives zero fucks about actual safety. She thinks organic beef hot dogs are essentially made out of the same parts as like a steak would be. I was like, "Um, you know it's still made out of various cow parts-- but just from organic/grass-fed cows, right?" She swears it isn't true. I find misinformed people who refuse to hear anything else so frustrating.

People like that are so hard to deal with because they see themselves as better than everyone else.

My cousin refuses to take her kids to Chucke E Cheeses because "its full of germs". Um excuse me what public place isn't?

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• My niece fell and broke her wrist and elbow trying to help her teacher last week. Instead of going to the ER my sister took her the the chiropractor she works for b/c it is free. He obviously was like umm she needs to go to the ER.... 

Sometimes she is such an idiot.

For serious?

Suprised she didn't just put Windex on it.

BAHAHA she probably did before they went to the chiropractor! 
  • eyenigheyenigh member
    JCSC2008 said:
    Seriously. I know it's a different life when you have two at this age but they just don't watch them well and then they get very angry and surprised when the kids do something wrong. When they're left to their own devices, what do you expect?
    Money says she's the type that would also blame the closest vicinity adult on her kid getting hurt, too. My sister does this all the time because she doesn't watch her kids, either.

The weird part is, she mostly isn't a blame others type. She just honestly seems shocked when bad things happen even though she isn't a dummy. She just doesn't seem to get that you literally have to have an eye on them at all times at this age. If there's trouble, they'll find it!

• lildis09 said:
    I am now judging the email I received from one of the places I have gone for 2 interviews at. Not only was it addressed to someone else, but the person also clearly didn't proof read given that I could barely decipher what it was supposed to say. (Words are missing!). Rather unprofessional IMO.
    Extremely unprofessional... maybe that spot will open up!! lmao
  • Oh no @lildis09. Too bad they didn't include the email. We could sent that other person emails saying how awful that company is lol.

I sound like a terrible person.

our one and only *

DS - 2011

• Oof, that would drive me crazy too. Hopefully they change their mind and decide to put the gate back up.
  • I am reminded of one of those teen mom shows, where the teen sat her 4 (/5/6?) something month old baby up on a chair and walked a couple steps away to practice her dance routine. The baby, OF COURSE, fell off the chair and faceplanted on the hardwood floor, and stupid girl was like "OMG HOW DID THAT HAPPEN??"  ...Idiot
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Dear god. I would be judging that shizz hard. Oy.
  • Nothing judgey coming from me today (haven't been out of the house much since I have been sick).

BUT- the baby gate will damage the wall so they're not putting one up? Ugh. I am sure that it wouldn't something a little patching wont fix. A child's safety is more important than your walls.

• I swear, I hate parenting trends.  That hands off, everything will be alright, anything goes mindset is stupid, sorry.  It's valid to an extent....but at a certain point it gets really ridiculous. You cannot take one philosophy and apply it to a subject with no exception. I've noticed this a lot more frequently with younger parents I know IRL and I'm just like "whatever".  Yes, I make Isla wear shoes outside.  Yes, she still wears swimmies.  Yes, she will wear a helmet when she starts riding a bike.  No, I don't think you're cool and different, I think you spend too much time on the internet figuring out what kind of parent to be.  Parenting is not an opportunity to prove how fucking novel you are the whole wide world.  No one really cares what you're carrying your baby around in or where their yogurt comes from.   Quit wasting your time working on your image as a mommy and read up on what the hell you're gonna do with that kid when it comes out.
    In this case, I kind of feel like I'd respect the taking the gate off thing if it were attached to an overall parenting philosophy. Honestly, I think it's just a poor combination of being overwhelmed, laziness and bad decisions.

• I swear, I hate parenting trends.  That hands off, everything will be alright, anything goes mindset is stupid, sorry.  It's valid to an extent....but at a certain point it gets really ridiculous. You cannot take one philosophy and apply it to a subject with no exception. I've noticed this a lot more frequently with younger parents I know IRL and I'm just like "whatever".  Yes, I make Isla wear shoes outside.  Yes, she still wears swimmies.  Yes, she will wear a helmet when she starts riding a bike.  No, I don't think you're cool and different, I think you spend too much time on the internet figuring out what kind of parent to be.  Parenting is not an opportunity to prove how fucking novel you are the whole wide world.  No one really cares what you're carrying your baby around in or where their yogurt comes from.   Quit wasting your time working on your image as a mommy and read up on what the hell you're gonna do with that kid when it comes out.
    I love the hell out of this. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Throwing leaves <3
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"