Food Allergy

Another EpiPen question

I feel stupid asking this because DS has had his since he was 10m old.

I just want to make sure I understood DS's allergist correctly on when to use the EpiPen after reading a few things here and re-reading some more online. 

She told us to use it whenever he has an accidental exposure and 2 or more systems are reacting (i.e. hives AND vomiting). So it was my understanding that it's to be used even though there is no indication of swelling in the mouth/throat, respiratory distress.

From your experience, would you say this is correct? I'm not questioning my allergist, just my understanding during the very overwhelming appointments.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Another EpiPen question

• Yes, that's what our allergist said, too. She also wants us to use it if there is facial swelling or hives covering most of her body.
  • I'm weird about this. My mom has bad anaphylaxis and she doesn't use it until she feels swelling

Now kids it's harder because they can't verbalize.

Just keep in mind also if you dial 911 we can't tell you when to use it either. We only say "do what your doctor advises you"
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I have severe tree nut anaphylaxis and my 2 year ld is tree nut. I will say that as a kid, I was basically at Childrens Boston monthly because of improper food labeling and schools not up on the severity of allergies. My mom felt like i was getting an Epipen way too often....my allergist in 1985 said "I've never had a parent feel bad for giving the epi too early...but I've had many regret not doing it early enough." I keep that in mind every time he eats anything I didn't prepare. Good luck!
  • For my son's tree nut allergy, our allergist has us follow an action plan very similar to this one:

https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/fruitsvegetables/howmany.html

Our action plan says "if checked," give if the allergen was eaten or suspected even if no visible symptoms are present. It's not checked for my son; the allergist didn't feel it was necessary.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"