Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

totally inconsistent day sleep

DS is nearing a year old. I thought by now I'd see some more consistency with his naps. He wakes up around 7 each day and naps at 9, that's the only thing consistent. The AM nap length is 1-2 hours. The PM nap length is 1-2.5 hours.  Depending on the nap lengths he then goes to bed anywhere between 530pm on short nap days and 7pm on good nap days. I've considered when and how he falls asleep (independently, with no help from me but does have a soother) and how much stimulation he's had etc.. and there is no rhyme or reason to why I think he takes a long nap some days and a short nap other days.  He will then sleep all night long until 7am again, even on days he goes to bed at 530 or 6pm. I am not complaining- don't get me wrong!   It would just be nice to transfer some of that night sleep to day sleep so he can stay up a little later since I go back to work in 3 weeks and won't get home until 4 or sometimes 5pm. I'd like to spend some time with him- obviously! He's not going to daycare until September so he'll be at home with my mother or my hubby until then so there won't be a daycare to change things up.      He has been like this for months, I think I have to accept that this is just how he is, and he likes to go to bed early. It's VERY rare that he stays up past 630!  

Just wondering if anyone else has a baby like this- inconsistent day time sleep and super early bedtime?  If I was going to be a SAHM I wouldn't think anything of it, but I'll be a working mom soon and I'm worried about how much time I get to spend with him. I keep on asking myself what I am doing wrong, everyone I know with babies either the same age or even younger give me the strangest look when I tell them what time he goes to bed and how long he sleeps at night but I follow his lead and this is what he seems to want. 

Re: totally inconsistent day sleep

• Options
    My LO is 9.5 months and her naps are all over the place and always have been. Some days 2 naps and sometimes 3. Duration is always different too, sometimes only and hour and then the next day would be 2-3hrs. She does not go to bed that early though. She has been going to be at 830 since 3 months old. Sometimes I will nap her around 630 if she is tired to get her to stay up until 830. I am not back to work yet but when I do work I do not get home until almost 8 so I specifically made her bedtime at 830 so I could spend some time with her when I get home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"