September 2014 Moms
Options

Baby shower location

Have any of you had or been to a baby shower that was not at a house? I'd like for ours to be at our house but we want to do a coed shower and the house seems like it might be cramped. Our neighborhood clubhouse is 250 bucks :( my friends throwing it have been asking about it but I feel like its a lot. Thanks for any ideas! Also we live in San Antonio so anything outdoors is pretty much out.

Re: Baby shower location

• Options
    ang2016ang2016 member
    Our local library has a meeting room free of charge. Or even a hotel meeting room should be less than $250.

Married: 6/4/2005Start TTC early 2012 May 2013: PCOS Diagnosis August 2013: Uterine Septum Removal November 2013: 1st round clomid, ovidrel trigger December 2013: 2nd round clomid, ovidrel trigger, BFP!!! August 2014: Baby girl arrives! February 2016: Ready for #2 May 2016: starting again with clomid, ovidrel trigger June 2016:  BFP!!! EDD: 2/21/16

• Options
    A family friend offered her house, so we will be having it there. Do you have a close friend or family friend that might be willing to share their home? I've been to a shower that was at a restaurant but we all had to pay for our own lunch

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You might also check out a local community center or rec building, they sometimes have meeting or gathering rooms that can be rented at a cost less than $250.

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

Tucker, Me and Phoebe.  Best Dogs!

August Siggy Challenge: Drinks!! 

imageimage
  • Options
    Ours was scheduled to be at one of our fave restaurants(that had a special event room). We had our rehearsal dinner there and a couple surprise birthdays before. Then hurricane Issac happened. Last minute we had to change everything up and ended up having it at my own house. It wasn't ideal but it actually turned out amazingly well! Unfortunately, they actually still haven't rebuilt the restaurant.

• Options
    I have never actually been to a shower -- bridal or baby -- that was at someone's house. Usually they are at a clubhouse, restaurant, hotel banquet room, etc.

My baby shower is the first shower I will go to that it's being hosted in someone's house.

Even though you feel like it is a lot-- it is up to your host. I would toss out a few cheaper suggestions if she wants them but then leave it up to her in the end.
    Me: 30 Him: 33
    Married: August 2012
    BFP #1 9/2013 -- MC 10/2013
    DD: 9/22/2014

• Options
    My shower with DD1 was at a restaurant. The friend hosting was from out of town, so it was either that or our house, which we had just moved into and was a disaster. Honestly, I'd leave it up to whomever is hosting since they're paying for it, and enjoy whatever shower they throw for you.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options
    My mom is having mine in a function room at a local hotel. They aren't charging a room fee, she just has to pay for the food which makes it almost the same cost as it being at someone's house. Her house is just too small, so she looked around. It might be worth calling some local hotels and see what they can do. If it is at a non busy time you may get a great deal.
  • Options
    AR1of2AR1of2 member
    I like the ideas from PPs. Is it too hot to be outside? In San A I guess that may be the case...but if it isn't, do you have any local parks with pavilions where the shower could be held? However, it wouldn't be quite as comfortable as the earlier suggestions and the bathroom situation may not be so great, depending on what's around near you. But some people are outdoorsy, so just thought I'd mention it bc I don't know if you are!
  • Options
    I had a friend who had a classy coed shower at a country club. The others I've been to have all been in somebody's home. Are your friends offering to pay for it or asking you to help? I'm surprised that you were even told the cost unless they can't afford it themselves.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    pshaortao said:

A family friend offered her house, so we will be having it there. Do you have a close friend or family friend that might be willing to share their home? I've been to a shower that was at a restaurant but we all had to pay for our own lunch

Just out of curiosity how did they word that on the invitation? I've never heard of a shower where you have to pay for your own lunch.

My mom and MIL are hosting mine but doing it at a restaurant.

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Options
    kmbk27kmbk27 member
    Outside of houses, I have been to showers at restaurants, church halls, even a bar. I've also seen them done in hotel event rooms like PPs suggested.

^^^ September Signature: TV series I plan on binge watching with my newborn I do what I want. ^^^

image    image

<3 Gage Douglas 09.04.2014...my sunshine after the rain.

• Options
    Mine was in a party room at a restaurant. They handled all of the decorations and food. My hostess was responsible for the cake and any extra decorations like balloons.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    My friend was looking for venues close to our house and we always pass the clubhouse on the way to the pool so we thought we'd find out. She said she didn't think it was that much especially split among a few hostesses but it sounds like a lot to me when a house is free! I'll leave it up to them but I am very thankful and excited for their generosity :)
  • Options
    In my experience $250 isn't really very much to rent a space. We rented the local clubhouse for my sisters bridal shower and it was more than that. But her baby shower was just in my parents home.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

• Options
    wrightpalomowrightpalomo member
    edited May 2014
    I'm having two showers and neither will be in a house. One for the family/hometown crowd is being held at a local women's club (super cute 1940s building!) and the venue will cost us $50 an hour but includes tables and chairs and use of the industrial kitchen. The second in SF (where we live now) will be at Golden Gate park (this is a little risky because it could be freezing/windy) and will co-ed (more of a bbq, less of a "shower"). To reserve a space with bbq at the park is $30 and you get it for the whole afternoon.That might be a good option for you if you'll have good weather. 

ETA: more info
  • Options
    We DDs at a hotel conference room. It was $185. But we are doing a co-ed for DS at the park (in august, in Louisiana) for some reason I said I wanted to do it there, must have been preggy brain. It could be changed but they've already played for it. We got a pavillion with a bathroom and grill i think it was the best one the park has. You could also do it a a church, in the fellowship hall or gym if they have one. We had DDs 1st birthday at the church DH and I were married at. Country club is a good idea, and we have places on the lake where you can rent the building and it has a kitchen, bathroom, grill, and its indoor. Check with the state parks that are close to you
  • Options
    mcstrepp said:
    Just out of curiosity how did they word that on the invitation? I've never heard of a shower where you have to pay for your own lunch. My mom and MIL are hosting mine but doing it at a restaurant.
    @mcstrepp I honestly don't remember, it was so long ago. I think if it was at a restaurant where they did it buffet style, it's easier for the host to pay for it, but if it's in a situation where everybody order their own food, then they pay for their food. We were all still in college at the time, so we were understanding about it.

• Options
    amy006amy006 member
    I think most of the showers I've been to have been at a rented facility. Mine is at an indoor park pavilion that would normally be 225 but because I work for the parks department it's only 50. A Hotel meeting room is a good idea. Is anyone coming in from out of town? Sometimes you can get it hugely discounted if a guests name is attached to it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to one that was at a restaurant. The rest were all at houses.
    My first one will be at my in-laws house. I have no idea where my second one will be at. My mom hasn't said much other than the themes she's thinking about.

I really think that $250 is a pretty fair amount to rent a space.
    BabyFruit Ticker

image imageimage
    Married Since December 1st, 2012
    BFP#1 January 21st, 2014  
    EDD September 23rd, 2014

Air Force Wife, Oboist, Book Lover
    God's timing is perfect! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"