Pregnant after 35

NT Scan Results

I came back as "positive" for possibly downs. Something to do with proteins.

a typical woman my age is 1 in 53
mine was 1 in 45.

Scared to death right now
===siggy warning====
Me: 40, DH: 42
Diagnosis: PCOS
TTC: May 2013
TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
IVF #1 March 6. 14 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized. 
March 11, 4 eggs transferred.
March 21 BFP  :) Beta #1 457, Beta #2 1350, Beta #3 9619. 
Due Date November 27, 2014
TEAM BLUE

Re: NT Scan Results

• Did they base that on the measurements that they did on the back of the baby's neck during the NT Scan or the blood work?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Also remember that 1 in 45 is still only 2% which is still a small percentage. Try not to freak out until you have more definitive answers.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • QOTRQOTR member
    I'm sorry you're scared.   There are more definitive tests available that might ease your mind.

There is some good information in this thread:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/79569049#Comment_79569049
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • the neck was fine, there was no noticeable nasal bone, and some protein level was high. I am also 41 which makes me high risk anyway.

I will look at the thread. Thanks everyone..Trying to stay positive
    ===siggy warning====
    TX: IUI #1 with Follistim. Canceled due to too many follicles (10 + that were large); BENCHED
    TEAM BLUE

• Krisd6Krisd6 member
    Stay calm and positive.
    I know it's so hard to do.
    Thinking of you!!!
  • WynWyn member
    Do you know about the blood from your arm Harmony or Maternit21 test? Results are much more reliable than NT scan.
  • Krisd6Krisd6 member
    edited May 2014
    I had the maternity 21 test before my NT scan.
    It took 1 1/2 weeks to get the results but it truly did put my mind at rest and I remember relaxing after  I got the results.

If they haven't suggested that test- I would ask your MD about it. It is very reliable (98-99%).
  • I did MaterniT21 with my first. It definitely puts your mind at ease. Look into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • xoxoxoxxoxoxox member
    I am also in the same situation, super scared. I'm going to be 39 when I deliver and have a 1/40 chance based on the blood work. We live in Germany so I'm not sure yet weather they offer the harmony or mat21 testing. Praying for your sweet baby, as well as mine.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lizok22lizok22 member
    I had positive quad results. 1/90 for downs. I was a wreck. I took the verifi and came back negative. Next time no quad for me too much anxiety.
  • What number "neck" did doctor say is normal? I have read such varied answers. I was told mine was 2.5 and that was very good, now I am looking online and some say that is on the border.

===siggy warning====
    TEAM BLUE

• MrsDLMrsDL member
    What number "neck" did doctor say is normal? I have read such varied answers. I was told mine was 2.5 and that was very good, now I am looking online and some say that is on the border.

With my son it was 2.8. Blood was fine but I was told I was at increased risk for "major congenital heart defects" and needed a fetal echo at 24 weeks - I was worried sick. Later another tech told me the facility I was at was very conservative and 2.8 would be fine at most places. She told me that most places use 3.0 and higher. From my research I remember it was all over the board, but many had much, much higher and were fine.  I let it ruin my pregnancy with worry, DS is a healthy 3 year old with no heart/health issues.

OP - most of the time things are just fine. My neighbor came back 1 in 6 for trisomy 18 (now that's scary). She had an amnio (maternity21, etc were just coming out at that time) and it was fine, her daughter is perfectly healthy and just turned 2.

• GL I have no experience but it's so scary. I would look into the other tests that have more accuracy. You'll be in my thoughts.

JM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• JennzatJennzat member
    My NT scan results were 1.6 & I was told anything over 3 they worry, but my b/w came back w/1 in 58 chance of downs. We opted out for the Harmony & amnio & r just going to wait for our 20wk scan & see for soft markers. I am 37 & asked the dr if I was 27 would this even been discussed & he said prob not.
  • indianaalumindianaalum member
    edited May 2014
    UPDATE:

I don't obvioiusly have any reassuring news yet, but I went in to see the doctor (actually a different doctor in the practice) yesterday.

First, she tried to remind me that it really is my AGE that made the number so scary in the first place and reminded me its all about statistics and no definitive answers.

She gave me the Panorama test (which is similar to Matern21, harmony, etc) which will take 2 weeks to get back to me.

I asked about the "protein" level that I was told was high by the PA. She looked up the numbers and could not seem to find any numbers that seemed off, so she isn't entirely sure why the PA told me that. I guess in this scenario I am rooting for an incompetent PA calling me with wrong info, huh?

Then I asked about the "nasal bone" and she said she could not tell if the sonogram tech even attempted to measure it. It is unclear whether it was "missing" or whether the person never even bothered looking. When I said to the doctor I felt that the sonogram person was in a rush, it seemed like the doctor wasn't particularly surprised about this specific person, so once again, I am found rooting for a rushed, lazy sonogram person as "lack of nasal bone" is a horrible sign for Downs.

In some ways, I feel better, but other ways I feel like I can't trust this practice if there is so much "question" about something so serious
    ===siggy warning====
    TEAM BLUE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"