August 2014 Moms

Kick Counting App

Venus04Venus04 member
edited May 2014 in August 2014 Moms
Just went to my 28 weeks appointment and got the "counting kicks" speech. Personally, I think it's a recipe for over-analyzing and anxiety, but hey, I'm not a doctor so whatev. The sheet he gave me was pretty lame, but I found this nifty, free app called "Count the Kicks!" It's cool if you're looking for something like that.

Who else is going to count? Anyone opting out on this? I'd love to hear from STMs who did this, or skipped this, and what their thoughts are.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kick Counting App

• Venus04Venus04 member

I've had two close friends with late losses (37 weeks and 38 weeks).  They are both adamant about the importance of kick counting.  The reason for the losses was never determined in either situation, and so while there's nothing they could have really done, they both feel like had they been paying more attention to fetal movement that they might have been able to prevent the losses.  

So sorry to hear of their losses. It's hard to watch good friends go through something as difficult as that. Hugs.

• I was told to look for 10 kicks in the 2hrs after eating and so far he moves so much with in the first few minutes I just kinda mentally check that, I also notice he moves a lot right before going to bed and then again when I wake up... 

So I'm keeping this pattern in mind, if I feel like it's been a while I do drink some juice/cold water and have a little quiet time to pay attention to him, maybe poke him a bit, and that usually does it :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • With DD she was active enough I only counted her kicks when I thought I hadn't felt her in a while. I went in once for decreased movement and got checked out. To me I'd rather be a little too safe than sorry.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• With my first, I knew he was always moving so I didn't even worry about counting kicks. I was told it's normal for movement to slow down at the end as they run out of room, but we lost him at 39 weeks and I never noticed a huge difference. I really really wish I had been paying more attention with a formal time to count kicks every day. I will always wonder if we would have noticed that he was in distress.

This time I've been filling out kick counting charts since 22 weeks even though I know that's "too early." I'm going with better safe than sorry on this one.

first son stillborn 7/20/13 at 39 weeks due to Acute Fatty Liver of Pregnancy
    It's a girl! Baby Anna was born August 3, 2014!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"