January 2013 Moms

Do You Ride in the Back w/ Your Toddler?

When you take longer journeys, do you sit in the back of the vehicle with your toddler while your SO drives? We are going to take an hour-long drive this weekend, and I'm not sure that DS can entertain himself alone for longer than 20 minutes. 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Do You Ride in the Back w/ Your Toddler?

• For an hour long drive I don't sit in the back with her. I just make sure she has plenty of toys and if she gets fussy I hand her water or another toy and she is usually fine. We take a lot of car trips and if it's over 2 hours I sit in the back with her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Honest question, but what do you do when you sit next to LO? Besides read a book, I can't think of anything that I wouldn't be able to do from the front seat. 
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Loading the player...
  • heck no, then I would have to entertain her the whole time. lol  It's nice when big brother is along because he will, but sometimes they have to learn we can't be their clown all the time.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Nope. Just make sure I have lots of things to entertain him. When he was tiny I would sit with him because I would worry, but now especially since I can hand things to him I sit in the front
  • Jessie333Jessie333 member
    edited May 2014
    Not for one hour. DD has done 3-4 hours no problem. If she does get really upset I will go into the back and try to entertain her.

Eta if you are really concerned about it, you could try to leave around nap time so he could sleep in the car.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• JJsMumJJsMum member
    I've never sat in the back with either boy.  Right now that's certainly not possible since we now have a van with captains chairs rather than a bench in the 2nd row.  On longer trips we attach toys or water sippies to the carseats with straps (so they can't be thrown too far) and if anything else is needed whoever is in the passenger seat can hand it back to them.  

We drove down to San Diego in 2 (10-12 hour) days.  We stopped every 2-3 hours for lunch and/or gas, so we'd check in for some face time/diaper change.  Other than that they were both good about entertaining themselves and each other.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• DS actually gets MORE fussy in the car if I'm in the back with him. I can drive a couple hours with him in the backseat by himself and he's all good, but on Mother's Day weekend I was in the back with him  (it was a full car with my mom and sisters) and I guess him seeing me there made him think I should entertain him. I tried playing with toys, offering food, reading him a book....but each option only lasted a few minutes before he was upset again. If I had been in the front he would have looked out the window or fallen asleep like usual I'm sure.
  • Thanks, everyone! It sounds like I should try to sit in the front seat and have some toys and books ready if he starts fussing. I don't want him to start thinking that he *needs* me to be back there with him.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• DCKateDCKate member
    teds1chic said:

I sit with her always if my DH is driving, she is high maintenance in the car, it's just easier.

Same here!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • I've only ever sat in the back once and it was recently when DS was losing his shit! But that was a 15 minute trip home. DS has done lots of 3-4 hour trips with no entertainment. Snack and drinks are key for my son!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Traffic here is so terrible a normal trip to go to music class or out for brunch can take an hour so DD does that by herself often but I ride in the back with her when I can. She doesn't like her rear-facing seat and I'm not willing to turn her yet so it's a little stressful but we have to get things done.
  • We are heading to panama city Florida fathers day weekend. Its about a 5 hour drive for us and ill sit upfront unless she is having a major breakdown. We went last year and she slept a lot of the ride. For Jacey snacks and new toys are key or dvds with Mickey mouse clubhouse. I think we will leave right around nap time so hopefully she will sleep the first couple hours of the trip.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only time I sat in the back with him was our trip home from the hospital. He loves the car though and usually is entertained by looking out the window or he just falls asleep. My mom had him this weekend though and I know that she sits in the back with him while my dad drives. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"