Natural Birth
Options

Perineal Massage Questions

Looking to get some insight if you ladies don't mind. 
I'm pregnant with #3, going for my first all natural birth. DS1's birth was totally medicated and terrible for various reasons, the main one being horrific tearing that went UP instead of down and almost did permeant damage to my urethra. DS2 I ended up "stuck" and got pit, was fine until I caved at 7 cm for the epi, it ended up doing nothing but reliving my back labor though so I still felt everything when pushing - midwife gave me a small incision as he crowned because I was so afraid of re-tearing where I had previously torn. 
So, new practice this time around, the midwives are skeptical about even giving me a small nick if baby's head looks like it will tear me. I cannot deal with tearing up again, the recovery was just miserable and there was only one kid to take care of. I just started my hypnobabies home study course and read the insert about perineal massage. I'm wondering if it may be worth it to soften up the scar tissue from my cut and just get everything ready. 
Those that have done it (esp if you did it in second+ pregnancies), did you feel that it worked for you? H said he would do it for me, my belly is too big to reach down there properly  :|

BabyFetus Ticker 
harry potter addict. fiber obsessed. 
|| KP 10.04.10 || EA 04.28.12 || LC expected 8.29.14 ||
my bfp chart: Bebeh Fluff's Chart

Re: Perineal Massage Questions

• Options
    I never did the massages before birth but we did talk about it in the Bradley classes I took. A STM had a second degree tear with her first and was afraid of tearing for the second. The instructor recommended rubbing coconut oil or wheat germ oil on the scar to help with give it some flexibility again. The mom did it and did not tear the second time. She also pushed slower and was more relaxed.
     Maybe using oil would help you.
  • Options
    I had severe tearing with my first. When I was pregnant with my second I asked my MW about perineal message and she discouraged me from trying it. Her theory was that it could cause more inflammation to the area and the inflammation stretches the skin and puts you at higher risk for tearing. We focused more on slow, controlled pushes and staying relaxed and open. My MW applied counter pressure and support during crowning and I pushed laying on my side to help open my hips up. I only had a small "skid mark" with my second.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LizbybLizbyb member
    Pregnant w/#2 now, my husband and I tried the oil massages the first go around and I still ended up with a 2nd degree tear...but it wasn't from DS's head, it was a nuchal hand.  I had successfully delivered his 97th percentile head, but the hand got me.  I think it was a combination of three factors that allowed me to deliver the head successfully:  1) practicing squatting (stretches the area gently over time), 2) birthing on all fours, 3) counterpressure from the MW like the pp.  

We did the Bradley classes and I know DH enjoyed the massages and could be more a part of the preparations.  We didn't do it regularly enough to have any concerns about inflammation or irritation, just every once in a while when we remembered.  :-)  
  • Options
    mamabear214 Good luck labor buddy! 

I didn't really tear bad with my first but I think the epi did help so that I was able to push for 3 hours and really stretch out.  

A friend had a nurse sit and talk to her and do a massage overnight and said it really helped!  

I'm not doing bradley or anything but I'm trying to do lots of squats and exercises to keep up for labor.  
    CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy #3 after two prior losses in 2013

EDD 8/18 

• Options
    jmknoxjmknox member
    I have never used this and it's not for sale in the states, you would have to order it online... It's called an Epi-no. An inflatable device that you can place in the vagina to help stretch/exercise the pelvic floor. I have a friend who is a midwife who has one and even our Bradley instructor mentioned it. An interesting tool none the less. https://www.epi-no.com.au
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My midwife taught my husband how to do it at one of our prenatal appts, and she recommended doing it twice a day for a minute at a time. She said it doesn't necessarily reduce tearing, but it lessens pushing time.

I pushed for only 3 contractions, and had a small first degree tear, so id say it was worth it! Can't hurt!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"