January 2015 Moms
Options

Medicated vs. Unmedicated Birth

Just looking to get pros and cons for medicated versus nonmedicated births.

My first was medicated, and my epidural was way too heavy and the demerol given pre-epidural made me super woozy.

My second was also medicated, but I had a lighter epidural so I was able to feel pressure and push more effectively.

For this one, I've been considering going unmedicated but I'm not completely convinced yet. I was in a lot of pain with my first two, so I'm not sure how I would fare in terms of pain managment.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and opinions!
Anniversary
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
BabyFruit Ticker
  DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image

Re: Medicated vs. Unmedicated Birth

• Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    Non medicated
    Pros:
    Faster labor
    Decreased chance of CS
    Mobility during labor

Con:
    Pain
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not looking to start a fight! Just trying to gather facts, experiences and opinions. I'm not saying one is better than the other at all, and I would hope everyone would be adult enough to allow each their own. I realize what worked for one may not work for another, and there's no right or wrong when it comes to something as personal and complicated as birth can be. Every woman is going to do what she believes to be best for her baby and herself.
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
      DS #1 born 8/3/06, DS #2 born 10/2/08
    TTC since 8/13 BFP 11/27/13, EDD: 8/3/14
    US 12/9 found 2 Gestational Sacs, MC 12/10/13 6w3d
    BFP #4 5/15/14, EDD: 1/25/14, HB 6/4/14 Movement 8/13/14
    All Welcome

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image
  • Options
    yeah, i think @ICarriedAWatermelon makes a good point about being prepared for anything.  being flexible is very important, because you never know how it's going to go.  i was planning on an unmedicated birth but it didn't work out.  (turns out, being exhausted from not having slept in 36 hours isn't good for getting through childbirth unmedicated.)  i progressed from 5-8cm too quickly for the anesthesiologist to be comfortable giving me an epidural, so i only got an intrathecal.  didn't work for long, but those couple hours were just what i needed to recharge my batteries a little so i could get through pushing.

yup, flexibility.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Options
    I thought "dang, here we go...." LOL. I've done quite a bit of research on the benefits of unmedicated/low intervention birth, and if things work out I'd like to do that if possible. However, labor is unpredictable, and having a healthy mom/baby is my primary concern (as it is for everyone), so if things change and interventions become necessary, I am not going to place my experience above safety, which is something I've seen in dogmatic natural childbirth circles. Regarding pain, if I can handle it, great. But if the pain reaches a point where I feel like I am truly suffering, I will get pain meds. I want to feel positive about the birth, not look back and feel like it was just a blur of agony.
  • Options
    @Blazerbay214‌ is that what it sounds like? Like a complete prolapse with your uterus turning inside out? I'm scurred to google in case there are pics.
  • Options
    vjdk07vjdk07 member
    Sorry to pipe in again but I can back up what a few people have said. I've noticed A LOT in practice that when a woman gets an epidural, it's almost like their body can relax and they dilate quickly. Of course this isn't always the case and every person is different but it does happen often.

That being said, everyone should make their own decision. We all get the same reward whether you have an epidural, go completely natural, or have a c-section--your baby.
    Me: 31 DH:36
    DSS: 15 DS: 7
    DD born 1/3/15

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

@Blazerbay214‌ is that what it sounds like? Like a complete prolapse with your uterus turning inside out? I'm scurred to google in case there are pics.

That is exactly what happened. My whole Ute plus everything connected to it turned inside out and came outside my body like a sock turned inside out in the dryer. My husband still has PTSD from witnessing it! I.felt.everything. I then lost a metric sh*t ton of blood, went into 2 kinds of shock, and had my heart stop twice. It was a good time.

Ho.lee shit. I am so glad you are ok now! That is terrifying!
  • Options
    Learn about both, have an idea of what you want to do when you go in, but do NOT have your mind set on one or the other or you may end up very disappointed. Remember goal is to have a healthy baby!
    Saying that I have labors that are fast. My longest was with #3 at 4.5 hours. Shortest was 1hr 9 min (precipitous delivery).. Doc tried to talk me out of an epi with #1 and #3. #2 was natural and not by choice.. it was too fast, my XH is a POS, and I was scared. #4 was an induction where I only needed to have my water broken to get things moving. With #1 and #3 labors with the epis the anesthesologist put it in, I delivered and he stayed and took it out within 10 minutes both times. #4 was in for 30 minutes. I have NEVER felt the urge to push with an epi. 
    I LOVE that without the pain (and anxiety I get after #2) the atmosphere is so relaxed, fun and enjoyable. I have a good time and either take pictures or fb during and immediately after..
    I want to entertain the idea of having another natural birth this time. As long as things are going well. Around the 20 week mark I plan on talking to an old coworker about hypno birth that she teaches. Going sans epi will take a lot of mental preparation for me. I also need to get over feeling like I have to be a tough guy in front of bf even during labor..  
  • Options
    GromMomGromMom member
    With ds I knew going in that I wanted an epi but did lamaze class to prepare for the worst case scenario. I think those techniques really helped me labor as long as I did before going to the hospital. That being said I didn't pay enough attention in class to learn about the stages of labor, so I figured transition would be less hard than labor itself, but the delivery nurse told me that when you push it relieves some of the pressure you're feeling. Knowing that I think I might have been able to do it, but I'm still happy I did it and would do it again, I had the bare minimum medication and could click a clicker to increase it, I think that contributed to my good experience, I have friends who were totally numb and having trouble pushing as a result, so I don't think I'd like that experience.
  • Options
    Ana+VAna+V member
    I was overdue with my first son for about 2 weeks - then i was induced. I sucked at handling pain and all natural methods were quickly discarded by me... Finally, we agreed on an epidural which was a blessing but i couldn't push for nuts as i had 0 sensation :( .... It was so bad - doctors kept asking me to push but even though i tried - it wasn't showing..Finally when my son's head was seen - he was taken out with forceps and the doctors had to literally cut me - 4 degree tear , which tooks months to heal...He was ok and the marks of forceps went away in a few weeks of his birth.

Now i am dreading this labour - i have no idea how i can deliver... Very scared :(
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I went in hoping for a non medicated birth. My son was 10 days late and I was put on cervadil then pitocin. I labored for about 20 hours unmediated and water broken and only progressed to a 4. Had an epi and within another 4 hours went to ten. I pushed for three hours and the whole time my body kept slowing contractions, they went from 3-5 mins to every 5-10 then stopped. I ended up having a c-section for failure to progress. You never know what your body is going to do...as long as baby and mommy are healthy in the end that's winning prize.

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I was induced. I was 4 days late and they did a quick ultrasound to make sure baby was ok in there. (I was planning on going at least another week to see if I went into labor on my own.) But they discovered that my baby had zero fluid left and my placenta was starting to die. She needed to be born asap.

I had cervadil and pitocin. I don't know what natural contractions feel like, but pitocin contractions were no joke. It was unbelievable pain. My contractions were one on top of each other. I was in so much pain that I was tensing up my entire body and wasn't progressing. Once is got the epidural, I was finally able to relax and actually progressed rather quickly after that. I really think the epidural helped me deliver vaginally. And I could still feel when I needed to push and I still felt the "ring of fire."

Obviously I hope to go into labor naturally next time. But I have zero problems with an epidural. I'm also an advocate for medically needed inductions. I don't have any regrets about my birth. She also came out alert and latched on and breastfed right away.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    id012id012 member
    I was induced last time for pre e at 37 weeks. I also had an episode and went from a 3 to pushing in like 4 hours. And also with the epiI was able to rest for a while.
    Pushing is hard. I dont know why I didn't think I'd need that much energy. And I only pushed for like 1.5 hours or so.
  • Options
    jennkg3jennkg3 member
    I'm not looking to start a fight! Just trying to gather facts, experiences and opinions. I'm not saying one is better than the other at all, and I would hope everyone would be adult enough to allow each their own. I realize what worked for one may not work for another, and there's no right or wrong when it comes to something as personal and complicated as birth can be. Every woman is going to do what she believes to be best for her baby and herself.
    I know you're not trying to start a debate. I really don't think you worded your OP poorly either. However, there are women out there that will very blatantly refer to women who got an epidural as pathetic, less than a woman, etc. There are others who will tell a natural birth mother that she's being a martyr, just wants the bragging rights, etc.

It doesn't have to be something that you said. It's inevitably a spin-off where someone gets holier than thou within your thread, and all the name calling starts.

I don't care how anyone (except me) births their kids. I think the "best method" is what works for the individual, but not everyone will.
    This :) You will learn the bump's hot buttons. I got totally blasted when I asked about not getting an IV back with ds and I swear it was innocent just wanted opinions. So that being said BECAUSE you asked, if you have Netflix check out the Business of Being Born. I had ds completely natural (unplanned homebirth) but I planned to have him natural. DD I didn't want an epi but I went in with an open mind because I was terrified. I didn't end up getting one but I did get Pitocin (which is horribly painful) and some other pain meds that just made me loopy. I will do anything in my power to go unmedicated, that being said even the third time around I'm going in with an open mind.

LOUD NOISES!

K- born 7/5/2011

G- born 6/24/2013

• Options
    I try not to take any medication, even Tylenol. Its not that I'm against it, I just choose not to. I would prefer to go unmedicated

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Options
    I have to have a c-section this time due to a myoectomy I had in December of 2012. You better believe that's going to be medicated, lol!

It's not what I wanted, but it's what I'm having.

When I had DD I got the epidural, and that was horrendous. I felt the needle go in me, I felt it travel through my spine, and it was so painful. To top that off, it didn't really numb me, so I felt everything anyway. I had always said that, were I to have another child, I'd never have another epidural. Oh well...
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• Options
    I had an epidural with DS1 and it did not fully work- it helped but was not pain free. Actually, I was still in a lot of pain. They had the IV in and kept adding more meds even. I am guessing once I hit my pain tolerance wall I will get another epi this time and hopefully it will totally work- if not, at least it helps!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    rmpar29rmpar29 member
    I agree with everything said above.  It's all up to a personal choice and you need to be prepared to be flexible.  I went into labor with the boys and was adamant about a non-medicated birth, but I'm used to pain.  After a few hours I was begging for meds, but I was 9 cm by then, so they moved me into the OR.  (For a twin birth it has to happen in the OR with an IV hooked up just in case).  Dawson was born vaginally after 20 minutes of pushing.  Keep in mind, he was only 4 lbs 8 oz, so definitely easier to push out then a bigger baby.  Devin ended up being an Emergency C and I was knocked out.  That part, I hate!!! 

You just never know what's going to happen until it does.  You might have a preference, and you should share that with your doctor, but in the throws of labor when pain is the worst, your mind can be easily swayed!  Or, you might end up in an emergency situation and all choices are taken away.  Just be prepared to accept whatever way it happens. 
    TTC #3 since 8/2012 image
    DX Endometriosis 2/2002 (lost left tube due to a cyst), PCOS
    6/2010
     BFP - 10/18/2012, EDD - 6/26/2013, Baby Girl lost at 22 weeks (T21), D&E 2/15/2013
    BFP - 4/23/2014, EDD - 1/2/2015 Twin Boys lost at 12 weeks, M/C 6/25/2014

My chart here  All ALers welcome!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    June 3Missing Our January Snowflake
  • Options
    I was induced due to high blood pressure and induced labor comes on pretty intensely and so while I was having major contractions for 12 hours I wasn't dialating past a 3. So, epidural it was. Within 2 hours I was ready to push.
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Options
    With my first, my water broke but labor did not progress. I labored for 12 hours med free and didn't progress at all, even though I was having contractions. Then they started the pitocin. I labored for about 10 hours on pitocin and nothing else. That was a biitch. But the worst part was that I only progressed to a 2. My doctor gave me an early epidural and I had my son 4 hours later. I went from a 2 to a 10 in 3.5 hours. Before the epi, my body couldn't relax enough. Finally getting that epi is what actually saved me from having a c section. I am open for pain free, but not committed. It's a personals choice, and one that can get pretty heated.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I had an unmediated birth with DD. It was hard. I labored for 24 hours and pushed for three. During transition, I was so exhausted that I felt almost delirious, but I got through it. I went in with an open mind and always knew I could get the epidural if I needed it, which I think helped. It's better not to make promises to yourself about things you can't really plan for.

FWIW, I prepared by taking a class on natural childbirth and reading Penny Simkin's "The Birth Partner," but honestly I wouldn't have been able to do it if it hadn't been for my husband. I had a ton of back labor and he basically provided counter pressure the entire time. For this baby, I'll likely take the same approach: prepare to go unmediated but have an open mind in case I need relief.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with everything already mentioned- it is too soon to decide and it is too personal/labor specific for us to give you a good pros and cons list. With DS I was medically induced due to high blood pressure. I went in to get cervadil and the nurse informed me I was in labor (had no idea- I felt so stupid) so I couldn't get the cervadil. They eneded up starting me on pitocin and I labored without the epi for 5 hours when they broke my water for me. I labored after that (a lot more intense) for another 2 hours and then asked for the epi since it was 2 am and I wanted to sleep. The nurses told me it could be another 12 hours before I even had the baby and I felt like I needed rest. I woke up at 7 am with the need to push and 20 minutes later my son was born. I had a 2nd/3rd degree tear and they spent an entire hour sewing me up (my recovery was 10 times worse than labor). However, we were able to breastfeed and he latched right away- plus I didn't have any of the headaches they talk about from the epi.

This time around I am hoping to do exactly what I did with my son, go without the epi as long as possible but not opposed to it either.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had a 34 hour labor with DS - and pushed for 4 hours. Happily got the epidural as soon as I could and promptly took a nap. I thought I had a high pain tolerance - false. Labor is no joke. By the time I was ready to start pushing, my epi had worn off. Pretty much felt everything - even when she had to do an episiotomy. I'll take the epi this time and pray my labor is shorter so it doesn't wear off. My advice - be flexible. Go in with the expectation to have a healthy baby and mama, however that has to happen. Everyone handles pain and labor differently.

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 9/27/13 - Natural MC 10/6/13
    April 2014 IUI #1 - Femara + Ovidrel + Crinone = BFP! EDD 1/1/15

• Options
    I went into the hospital at a 4 got to my room all settled in less than an hour was an 8. The pain was horrible got the epidural it was amazing I still felt pressure, I could move my legs. I pushed an hour later. I was in labor for four hours total. Walking around less than an hour later! I had a super positive experience.
  • Options
    drpaynedrpayne member
    I tried natural with my first.  I ended up being transferred to the hospital after 5 hours of pushing and got an epi so I could rest.

My second was a natural water birth.

Having experience both, I'll be doing a natural birth again.  I am not one of those women who will tell you "oh, it really didn't hurt that much."  Contractions flucking hurt (actually giving birth is nothing in comparison).  Recovery was so much easier though.  We were home in like 7 hours.  I hated not being able to walk after my epi.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    I really don't think this is something you have to decide ahead of time. You can have your preference, but try to have an open mind, as anything can happen, and plans change.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    drpaynedrpayne member
    Pips09 said:
    I really don't think this is something you have to decide ahead of time. You can have your preference, but try to have an open mind, as anything can happen, and plans change.
    You can try to run a marathon with zero prep, too, but there's a good chance you won't do very  well.  I think most people with this attitude end up with an epi.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  But if you really, truly want a natural birth you'll have a much better chance if you prepare for it.  Of course plans can change (mine did with my first) but it wasn't because I wasn't prepared.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Pips09Pips09 member
    edited May 2014
    drpayne said:
    Pips09 said:
    You can try to run a marathon with zero prep, too, but there's a good chance you won't do very  well.  I think most people with this attitude end up with an epi.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing.  But if you really, truly want a natural birth you'll have a much better chance if you prepare for it.  Of course plans can change (mine did with my first) but it wasn't because I wasn't prepared.
    I didn't say you shouldn't prepare. I  said you can have your preference, which infers you did your research in order to decide which was your preference. But to go in with a hard and fast "rule" about how you will give birth is asking for trouble (in my opinion). So much can change you should be amenable to changing your plan.

• Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    drpayne said:

Pips09 said:

This X 1,000,000

No one can make careful decisions while in excruciating pain.
  • Options
    I'm having a c-section, but I say - all to his own.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My doula told me that there is a time & place for every intervention. When I first got preg with ds I thought those that wanted med-free birth were crazy. We ended up taking a bradley methods class & had a totally med free birth. No matter what you plan it's important to be flexible. I've had friends wants an epidural but not have time for one. The business of being born is full of info & gives lots of facts to consider.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    jmcmoejmcmoe member
    longcat07 said:

yeah, i think @ICarriedAWatermelon makes a good point about being prepared for anything.  being flexible is very important, because you never know how it's going to go.  i was planning on an unmedicated birth but it didn't work out.  (turns out, being exhausted from not having slept in 36 hours isn't good for getting through childbirth unmedicated.)  i progressed from 5-8cm too quickly for the anesthesiologist to be comfortable giving me an epidural, so i only got an intrathecal.  didn't work for long, but those couple hours were just what i needed to recharge my batteries a little so i could get through pushing.

yup, flexibility.

I had a very similar experience to this. I wanted unmedicated but after 34 hrs and no sleep I had zero energy and got an epidural for an hour to give myself a break. I used laughing gas up until then which if I would have had earlier then perhaps I would have been up to pushing with no epidural, but who knows!

• Options
    I intended to have an unmedicated birth.

I was induced because of high blood pressure at 39 weeks. I labored unmediated for 11 hour, never progressing past 4 cm dilated. DS's heart rate started to drop so doctor wanted a c-section, which I readily agreed to at that point. DS was born wide eyed and alert :)

You should definitely research these, figure out what you want, but like everyone has said, try not to be so rigidly set that no other outcome will do,and try not to beat yourself up if it doesn't live up to your plan/expectation. (I hope it does)
  • Options

As others have stated, it has to entirely be the mom's choice but I applaud you for wanting to understand how labor worked for different people and the pro/cons to make an informed choice.

I went in to labor understanding that I had never been through it before and other's experiences were not going to be my own so I was going to have to make a game-time decision because I was unsure what it was all going to be like for ME.  Plus, I was terrified of getting a needle in my back.  I told my hubby that when/if I asked for an epi, that I would like the nurses to hold off on giving the orders for 30 minutes.  During that time, I could reevaluate if that is what I really wanted or a moment of uncertainty for me. 

I told my nurse upfront about this and she said that if I got to the point I was asking after being in labor for a long while, I was probably transitioning and was likely not going to have enough time for an epidural to be administered.  I started labor at 6 cm and my daughter was born in a very short amount of time once they fully ruptured my water (it was leaking from a high point).  The pain was bearable for me and I was able to breathe through it to get through it, but definitely not pleasant and there were moments I felt totally out of control of what was going on (because I'd forget to focus on breathing).

However, when people ask me if I'll go unmedicated for birth #2, I always tell them I am unsure because it will be an entirely different birth experience.  If I was in labor for hours/days on end, I am not sure I would be able to go med-free. 

Whatever choice you make has to be right for you.  Thankfully you have lots of time between now and January to do your research :)

BFP#1 8/24/11, EDD 5/5/12, D&C 10/24/11 due to missed m/c

BFP #2 2/1/12, EDD 10/11/12.  Baby arrived 10/9/12

BFP #3 5/6/14, EDD 1/14/15

• Options
    My first, I went into labor naturally. The contractions came out of nowhere and were 50 seconds long with 30-45 seconds in between. And it was the worst pain ever. We got to the hospital and I was at a whooping 1cm. After some debate and monitoring of my huge (yet unproductive) contractions, my doctor ultimately elected to allow me the epidural at 1cm. I went from 1 to 6 in an hour, and 6 to 10 in another hour. I had a re-up of the epidiral before I started pushing and felt nothing...but she came in less than 10 minutes of pushing.

My second I was induced and got the epidural a few hours in. Four hours later I was ready to push. This time I felt the urge to push, but it wasn't painful at all. She came out super fast and the nurses were yelling at me to stop because the doctor wasn't ready. I couldn't really stop though-and he barely was dressed in time.

This one...I'm likely to have another induction because we have two young children to worry about and my last induction was successful and a generally positive experience. I would love to go into labor naturally, but if it happened during rush hour, I could end up delivering in my car! If we called ambulance, it takes us to the closest hospital, which is not the one my doctor delivers out of.

I feel so lucky to have had two positive epidural experiences. I love that I was mentally happy and present for my births even though I felt no pain. It's what worked for me, and I have no regrets. I think that with my first it helped relax me enough to make progress.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had an epidural and I don't think I could have survived without it. DS had a heart rate monitor attached to his head because they kept losing it on the external monitor. Instead of placing it on the top of his head, they put it on the side. So, as he was coming out, the plastic monitor sliced through me. I delivered him in 25 minutes and the stitching to repair the tearing took over 3 hours and I needed another epidural (which didn't work) and a spinal. The floor, bed and DS were covered in blood. DH nearly passed out. I required transfusions. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"