Parenting
Options

This is stupid ridiculous.

Also, just plain stupid.  

tl;dr:  Movie made about Jimi Hendrix claims Jimi beat his girlfriend.  Girlfriend says "Wait, WHUT?" and says it never happened.   So it seems like the filmmaker just made up a whole undecurrent of violence to Jimi's personality for no apparent reason.  

STUPID. 

As history buffs will recall, the opening-night film of the 2014 Seattle International Film Festival was JIMI: All Is by My Side, a drama about Jimi Hendrix's early days in London, directed by John Ridley, who recently won the Best Screenplay Oscar for his adaptation of 12 Years a Slave.

I saw a preview screening the film and I found a lot to like about it. I loved the restricted time frame, appreciated the presentation of the fragility of a world-historic talent, and was even okay with the fact that the film contained no actual Hendrix songs—it wasn't his compositions but his blues-riff solos that made people pay attention at the time, and JIMI is the first would-be "rock biopic" that sent me out of the theater hungry to hear to the subject artist's work RIGHT NOW.

But then I read Rachel Belle's KIRO interview with Charles Cross, the well-known Seattle writer who authored the bestselling Jimi Hendrix biography Room Full of Mirrors, and felt like a motherfucking chump who's also maybe racist...

From Rachel Belle's interview:

So what did Charles think of the new film? "I hated it." He hated it because parts of the film portray Jimi Hendrix quite negatively. "The most shocking thing is Jimi is shown beating a woman twice. That woman is named Kathy Etchingham, who was Jimi's longtime girlfriend from London. He was with her for three years. She says that no domestic violence like that ever happened," says Cross. "In interviewing over 300 people for my book, I never heard a story that is even close to that."

In one scene, in a bar, Jimi yanks a payphone from Kathy's hand and beats her with it until her face is black and blue, and bleeding. "I just cannot say how offensive it is to me that an African American man is portrayed as a domestic violence creator, when this was not something that anyone ever told a story of Jimi Hendrix doing," says Cross

On her website, the real life Kathy Etchingham says she reached out to filmmakers and the actress who played her, eager to tell them stories for the script, but her messages were never returned. "Since the movie has come out I've talked to Kathy Etchingham a number of times and she's extremely upset about the way she is portrayed in this movie," says Cross. "When you're presented as if you're a victim of domestic violence, that is potentially libelous even in and of itself."

I watched those scenes with the requisite horror, and I believed they were included because they were true. Part of this is just being a dutiful/gullible audience member, but another part had to do with the fact that the film in question was made by an African-American artist, who I perhaps racistly assumed would never allow such a damning, stereotype-enforcing story to be attached to a historically significant African-American artist unless it was irrefutably true.

But the idea that the scenes were added for dramatic effect and in defiance of reality makes me want to vomit. I don't expect complete factual honesty from my biographical films. It's fine that the real Philomena never made that trip to America. But Ridley's ruse, if true, is inexcusable.

Thanks, Charles Cross, for speaking out.

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

Re: This is stupid ridiculous.

• Options
    missymomissymo member
    I wonder if there is anyone else who can corroborate that these beatings happened?  It seems too odd that she would deny it at this point if it were true.  I believe her, but I wonder if the filmmaker was led to believe these things happened by someone else, or just made that shit up. 

C is 3 years old

• Options
    What in the world?  That's crazy.  I'm surprised they didn't think about the girlfriend calling them out on this.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    missymomissymo member
    vandelay said:
    What in the world?  That's crazy.  I'm surprised they didn't think about the girlfriend calling them out on this.

Exactly! Which is why I wonder if someone else is going around peddling this version of events.  

C is 3 years old

• Options
    missymo said:
    I wonder if there is anyone else who can corroborate that these beatings happened?  It seems too odd that she would deny it at this point if it were true.  I believe her, but I wonder if the filmmaker was led to believe these things happened by someone else, or just made that shit up. 
    I would think that if it wasn't for this:

"That woman is named Kathy Etchingham, who was Jimi's longtime girlfriend from London. He was with her for three years. She says that no domestic violence like that ever happened," says Cross. "In interviewing over 300 people for my book, I never heard a story that is even close to that."

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Options
    So busted.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    What the fuck?
    -------------------------------------
  • Options
    missymomissymo member
    Well, shit.  That is just such a dumb ass move on the part of the film makers.  Now the movie has zero credibility and their ass might get sued.  Nice work. 

C is 3 years old

• Options
    What an awful thing to make up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I need to research this movie more and find out if Jimi's estate signed off on the movie. 

When The Rose was first developed back in the 70s, it was supposed to be named Pearl since it's about Janis Joplin.  But the family wouldn't sign off on the script because there were so many inaccuracies, so they renamed it The Rose and it was more an "inspired by" than a true biography. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I need to research this movie more and find out if Jimi's estate signed off on the movie. 

They didn't. That's why none of his music is included.

ETA I was really excited for this movie because Andre 3000 plays Hendrix.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yuck. That is disgusting. Glad she came out and said it wasn't true.

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"