Natural Birth

Warm compresses

Hello, I've read that warm compresses to the perineum during labor can help minimize tearing. What kind of warm compresses should I use? I've heard of midwives making them, but I'll be in a hospital and want to come armed and ready with my own.

Re: Warm compresses

• My MW uses chamomile tea to make hers. She just adds tea bags to water, then soaks a washcloth or something in the tea before applying. 

Even just warm water would serve the same purpose. 

That being said, with J. I couldn't stand the warm compresses. Every time my MW tried to apply them it ruined my concentration and I snapped at her. With A. I had a waterbith, so I didn't need them. And S. came too quickly to even consider them. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered in a hospital. My OB just used a towel with warm water.
  • Loading the player...

• aylafsu88 said:
    I delivered in a hospital. My OB just used a towel with warm water.
    ditto here.

why don't you just ask your care provider if they use them? (it may not prevent you from tearing, btw)
  • vvvvvfee said:

aylafsu88 said:
    I delivered in a hospital. My OB just used a towel with warm water.
    ditto here.

why don't you just ask your care provider if they use them? (it may not prevent you from tearing, btw)
    Yes! I still tore because my LO had a nuchal hand. My OB did the compresses and massage to help prevent a worse tear. I ended up with a second degree internal tear but according to him it could have been worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"