January 2013 Moms

How to know when you're ready for #2?

I just recently got my first PP AF and now the big debate. Do we TTC now or wait? 
We both want a second child for sure. I think siblings are the best thing and DS clearly would love someone to play with.
But now that the time is approaching to TTC I don't know that I'm totally ready. But I'm also afraid that I may never feel totally ready. 
I feel like now that I really know what to expect with a newborn and handling that with a toddler I'm scared. 

Anyone else have similar feelings before TTC #2? Or how did you know you were ready?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How to know when you're ready for #2?

• DCKateDCKate member
    I will be following this thread as I'm in the same boat!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • I'm definitely not ready and I think DD deserves to be an only child for at least a couple years. If we have another baby it'll be when DD is about 4 [maybe close to 5]
  • Loading the player...
  • I started TTC right after I started ovulation after DD1 (14 months) mostly because I was already 36 and didn't want to waste time in case we had trouble. Happily, it happened on the second month so the girls are 25 months apart...if I'd known we'd have such an easy time, I might have waited a bit longer.
  • JJsMumJJsMum member
    I second what @PrivacyWanted said.  I think you just know.  

We knew when DS#1 was about 6 months old and reliably sleeping through the night that we were ready.  We ended up holding off 3 more months, but then got pregnant the first cycle.  Unfortunately we lost that one, but started trying again as soon as the OB cleared me.  With Si, we knew coming home from the hospital (I know, we're crazy) that we wanted another.  We started trying again right around when DS#2 was 10 months.  For us, it just works.  We knew we wanted our kids close in age (the boys will be sharing a room when #3 gets here), so it was always just a matter of feeling ready.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• As PP said, I think you just need to trust your gut on this.  Everyone's personal situation is a bit different which guides them to different milestones.  For us, like others, when we started TTC with #2 we just knew that it fit in with our life plan (we're older, DH in particular and know we want at least 2) and that this was as good a time for lots of reasons.  We've definitely had some "oh shit" moments since we found out that we're pregnant, especially when DD is having a hard day, but in general we're just very excited. 

• We were told we couldn't have kids naturally so after having DD we knew we wanted her to have a sibling so we started trying right away and got lucky. After getting the BFP I got scared but that has eased up. There is difficulty to each age gap.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wanted a second the day DD turned one, but I think I just really wanted my tiny snuggly baby back since DD is so independent! DH and I agreed that we wanted our kids to be at least two years apart, if not more. And we were going with the whole, we're not actively trying, but we're not preventing, so we'll see what happens mentality. I don't think either of us expected #2 as soon as we started again!

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I was ready to try for a second when DD was a couple months old. I'm crazy, I know. But I didn't get my period until I stopped breastfeeding. DD is awesome with babies so I am really excited to see her as a big sister. :-)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I well be following this thread too because I know I'm just not there yet. Logically I want a sibling for DD but because we had so many issues with her I really didn't enjoy the little baby phase and I'm terrified of going through that again. I know in my head it probably will be different with a second but ill also have a toddler so it just freaks me out. I am in love with the age we are at and wish I could skip the hard stuff in the beginning. That being said I do miss the excitement of pregnancy and if I can make something I love even half as much as DD then it is worth it. Sigh. I hope that someday feels right.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We want a second, but the thought of a newborn right now makes me nauseous.  We want more time with just the three of us.
    One other big factor is potty training.  Ideally, we would only have one in cloth diapers at a time so I am not constantly doing laundry.
    We just aren't ready for a second child yet.  We are ready for an adult vacation.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • sekurasekura member
    I'm much like ungraceful--I didn't really have much hope of conceiving naturally, with my first son being from an egg donor.  I was incredibly shocked to get pregnant when he was 10 months old (obviously we weren't trying to prevent).  I've never even thought about whether or not I was ready--this is just happening.  Its funny to think about how unplanned this second child is, when we had so much trouble the first time around.  I will love him anyway, and life will be what it will be.

TTC #1 Since 8/2010
    Me: 34, DH: 35 DX: DOR (FSH 14.9, AMH 0.67, AFC ~10) and Egg Quality

IVF #1 Feb 2012. MDFL protocol w/ Met. 7 ER, 0F.
    May Donor Egg IVF cycle:3 EF, 1 blast ET 5/12, 2 frosties
    BFP 5/21! beta #1 5/22 306 beta #2 5/24 818 beta #3 5/31 15,038.

image"">
    "Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." --Dennis Wholey

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"