Multiples

My mo di twins are not identical

My mo di girl are now 8 mo old and they are not identical.  They have different noses, one has dimples, and their head shapes are different, and ones eyes are bigger.  They definitely are very similar but even strangers can tell the difference.  It WAS confirmed mo di in the hospital lab testing post delivery, and due to 5 previous losses was monitored from the very beginning and we didn't even see a separation until 14 weeks w a very high resolution ultrasound.  Im so confused.  Does anyone have any insight?  How is this possible?
After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."

Re: My mo di twins are not identical

• Wow thank you ...I just assumed if they are identical they looked identical.  I will follow up with the DNA testing.

After three miscarriages and one ectopic pregnancy we are currently pursuing adoption. " Born not from our flesh, but born in our heart. You were longed for and wanted and loved from the start."
  • Loading the player...
  • On a side note the placenta was tested and confirmed it was never fused:)

• Please let us know the outcome after the DNA test.
    imageimage
  • 24karat24karat member
    From my understanding it is EXTREMELY rare for mo-dis to be fraternal. It's more likely and possible for di-di fraternal twins to fuse placentas and be mistaken for mo-di, but it sounds like you already have that ruled out. 

Identical twins share the same DNA but they never look 100% alike. Mine have a slight difference in size that's been present from the start and makes them look pretty dissimilar. They also have different head shapes, complexions, builds, and hairlines. Most people have very little trouble telling them apart. We haven't done testing to confirm that they are true identical twins because the chances are so slim that they're fraternal. We discovered them at 6wks and they were initially treated as mo-mo, no membrane was discovered till 2nd tri and it was perpendicular to the placenta, no peaking or other indications of a fused placenta. 
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • @Rynleigh and @kjkarats03 have very good explanations. People have told me that my boys "must not really be identical" because I've said I've never had trouble telling them apart (besides a notable size difference, they just seem so very different to me, even though they were also mo/dis). I've kinda come to dislike the term "identical twins" because of this....it gives people the idea that these kinds of twins are always going to look like carbon copies of each other, and that's just not the case.
  • pea-kaypea-kay member
    Differences in blood flow in utero can also make a big difference, as well as positioning in utero.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • ceechieceechie member
    pea-kay said:

Differences in blood flow in utero can also make a big difference, as well as positioning in utero.

I get the positioning aspect, but have never heard about blood flow. Can you elaborate? It's very interesting...
  • pea-kaypea-kay member
    If one baby has restricted blood flow in utero, that can mean different development rates, different sizes, etc. I'm no scientist so not very good at explaining. :) But it can depend on when blood flow is restricted and how much, etc.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • ceechieceechie member
    pea-kay said:

If one baby has restricted blood flow in utero, that can mean different development rates, different sizes, etc. I'm no scientist so not very good at explaining. :) But it can depend on when blood flow is restricted and how much, etc.

Totally makes sense. I was thinking way too hard about that! haha
  • ceechieceechie member
    Can you post a pic, @heaven22tw‌? I'm super curious to see them...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"