February 2014 Moms

The Book Thief

MissDemeanorMissDemeanor member
edited May 2014 in February 2014 Moms

Please feel free to answer as many or few of the below questions as you like. You are also welcome to add additional questions and comments about the book or movie. And of course you can also respond to other poster’s responses.  I hope you enjoyed reading the book.

Summary: It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist—books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. (From the publisher.)

Questions:

Was Death a good Narrator in your opinion?  If you we writing a fanfic from another character's POV who would you pick and why?

When would you feel comfortable with your child reading this story? 

Are the characters in The Book Thief believable? Why, or why not?

How might the story look if it was told from Max's point of view? From Rosa's?

Do you like Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel? Does it make you want to read his other books? Why or why not?

Could Liesel have trusted Rudy with the fact that Max was hiding in her basement? Why or why not? Do you think it hurt his feelings when he learned the truth? Why or why not?

If you both read the book and watched the movie, which did you prefer? Why?

What questions, if any, does the novel leave unanswered?

Please add any additional comments you would like.

Updated with additional questions by @innanni

The Holocaust has become a common subject in literature.  Sometimes fictional works set during the Holocaust have been criticised for being unaccurate or painting a misleading picture.  (I'm talking about you The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.)  Was there anything about this book that seemed inaccurate to you?  

Any thought on the news bulletin type lists between chapters?  

F14 Siggy Challenge

Re: The Book Thief

• Okay, I'll start. I'm just going to ramble for a minute rather than answer questions though. Also, full disclosure: I read the book more than a year ago, and did not feel the need to reread it.

I originally read this book because there was a ton of hype about it. I was kind of disappointed. It was an okay read, but nothing amazing IMO. I thought that the idea of having Death as a narrator was interesting, but the writing style was a little off for me, and I'm not sure that I could really even explain why. I did like that it was a very different viewpoint of the holocaust, however. It's something that I think I would have the kids read along with things like Diary of Anne Frank. I really wanted to watch the movie, just to see how they translated the writing style to film, but I missed it in Redbox. I may grab it off Amazon tonight and report back.
  • I read the book and watched the movie. I want to start off by saying that the book was tough for me to get through. I think it was simply the writing style, using death as the narrator. Made it a little more complicated to follow sometimes.

Was Death a good Narrator in your opinion? If you we writing a fanfic from another character's POV who would you pick and why?
    Death as a narrator made it difficult to follow, I thought. Towards the end, it was easier-I guess I just got used to it as I went-but it was tough in the beginning.
    I think it would be neat to hear Hans Hubermann's POV. Max might be interesting as well, but it would probably be a little too Anne Frank-ish. I think Hans had lots of his own opinions that he wasn't free to speak or act on, and it would be interesting to hear his thoughts!

When would you feel comfortable with your child reading this story? I think it is comparable to the age kids read Anne Frank (except for the death narration-that might be difficult to get past). Maybe middle school? I think it offers a great viewpoint on WWII.

Are the characters in The Book Thief believable? Why, or why not? I think they are. I'm not sure why... I guess for the most part, they all reacted 'properly' to events-Liesel's recurring nightmares about her brother, Rosa taking the appearance of Max in stride (for the time-normal).

How might the story look if it was told from Max's point of view? From Rosa's? Like I said earlier, I think Max's POV would end up a bit too Anne Frank-ish. I don't know if Rosa's POV would be anything super spectacular, either. I don't really feel like she was super involved... Like she was more of an aloof character.

Do you like Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel? Does it make you want to read his other books? Why or why not? I didn't care for the writing style. I probably wouldn't read another of his books, although once I got used to it, it wasn't quite as bad. I did like that he took time to explain/define some things (like the German words), but it still felt like the story was choppy because of it. Keeping a few German words was appropriate to the story, though.

Could Liesel have trusted Rudy with the fact that Max was hiding in her basement? Why or why not? Do you think it hurt his feelings when he learned the truth? Why or why not?
    I think she probably could have trusted Rudy. But, I can see why she didn't. Rudy loved her-and I think he had some of the same doubts in leadership as Liesel and her family. But, he also came across as a loud mouth boy! I bet it did hurt Rudy's feelings when he learned the truth, but he wouldn't have shown it. He wanted to be (and was) Liesel's best friend-and best friends don't keep secrets from each other!

If you both read the book and watched the movie, which did you prefer? Why? I liked the movie-it painted a different picture in my mind than the book, though. And the book had more details. As we watched the movie, I kept saying to MH 'they didn't do (such and such)...' 'In the book, it was different...' Even though the writing style wasn't really my thing, I think I preferred the book over the movie. (But the movie gave me proper pronunciations of some of those German words, which was nice!)

What questions, if any, does the novel leave unanswered? I want to know what happened in the rest of Liesel's life, as well as what happened to Hans and Rosa's bio children. And did it ever say what happened to Max?

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Loading the player...
  • @ziggy903‌ I think it's a debate over which is better: book or movie.
  • Rach521 said:

@ziggy903‌ I think it's a debate over which is better: book or movie.

Book is always better. Doesn't matter what book/movie it is.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Before I start, I'm drinking Diet Coke and eating store-brand oreos (ftr, they suck. Oreos cannot be replicated even by the geniuses at Wegmans. Make no mistake, I'm eating them anyway.)

Was Death a good Narrator in your opinion?  If you were writing a fanfic from another character's POV who would you pick and why?

True story -- I watched the movie and asked DH at the end if God was the narrator. I promise I'm not a moron. The book made it much clearer than the movie, IMO. (Or I wasn't paying attention. Or LO was screaming during that part.) I like that Death was omniscient, and, I think given the setting, it was an appropriate choice. I've never read a book narrated by Death, I don't think.

I think it would be most interesting to hear from different characters, and if I was writing, I would try to do that. I think if you chose just one character, you'd miss the whole picture of the story -- so it wouldn't just be a different side of a story, but a different story altogether. I'd love to hear from the mayor's wife about how the war was different for her as a wealthier person and also what she thought of Liesel. I'd love to hear from Rosa because there's clearly a softer side there. I'd also like to hear from Liesel. 

When would you feel comfortable with your child reading this story? 

I would file this under books I'd read with my child. (I have this dream of my kid and I reading the same book and having our own little book club meetings.) I certainly wouldn't say no if my child brought it home and wanted to read it. 

Oh. It says when. I'm getting tipsy on my Diet Coke. I'd say teen years, for sure. I think anything younger and they're not going to understand so much of it. This book was actually recommended to me five years ago by a HS senior I taught. (I started it, didn't care for it, and put it back.) So -- high school. I think that's the age most appropriate. If my 12 year old is a good reader and brings it home, I wouldn't say no, but I wouldn't expect them to understand it all. 

Do you like Markus Zusak's writing style in this novel? Does it make you want to read his other books? Why or why not?

I wasn't a fan of the writing style or the formatting. I found it distracting. There's something else, I just can't quite put my finger on it. I won't be running out to read his other books. Like @mevaroo, I didn't care for the bolded parts. 

If you both read the book and watched the movie, which did you prefer? Why?

I actually think I preferred the movie. But I saw the movie first, so maybe that's swaying my decision? I'm someone who almost always prefers the book. I think my issues with the writing style and formatting may have swayed my decision. 

I think they movie could have been made richer with the inclusion of some of the minor characters and their stories. 

Neither the book nor the movie were my favorites. 

The Holocaust has become a common subject in literature.  Sometimes fictional works set during the Holocaust have been criticised for being unaccurate or painting a misleading picture.  (I'm talking about you The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.)  Was there anything about this book that seemed inaccurate to you?  

I found it hard to believe that the Nazis didn't find Max in the basement. You'd think they'd look behind drop cloths and the like. 

Can I tell you my favorite part? It's when Max goes out during the air raid and sees the stars. I loved it in the movie, and I thought it was good in the book too. 
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • OK, I have to admit that first of all, I'm eating Reese's Pieces that I've had hidden away from my boyfriend for a week. I'm really bothered by the fact that they are much smaller than they used to be, and the old sized ones are now "King Sized".
    @ziggy903‌ I think it's a debate over which is better: book or movie.
    Book is always better. Doesn't matter what book/movie it is.
    For sake of argument, I offer: Bridget Jones' Diary and Breakfast at Tiffany's.
    And I add PS I Love you. TERRIBLE book
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • sprashleysprashley member
    edited May 2014
    It took me awhile to get into this book.  Death as the narrator was puzzling at first and the formatting really bothered me.   I did appreciate it being written from the German perspective during WWII and enjoyed it overall, although it isn't one of my favorites. 

I don't know if I will read any other books by this author.  It almost seemed like he was trying too hard to be youneek in the YA world. :::shakes cane::: 

Although I really loved visualization of walking on a tightrope to the sun! 
    Feb 2014
  • Just finished the movie. Meh. It was really slow.
  • I wish some of the more minor characters would have been in the movie. Also, some of the details were changed from book to movie-Hans forgot his accordian when they went to the air raid shelter-Liesel read from her books during the air raids-Liesel telling Rosa to come yelling when Max woke up (which she did in the movie, but we didn't know that was Liesel's advice).

dx PCOS 2007

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

• I wish some of the more minor characters would have been in the movie. Also, some of the details were changed from book to movie-Hans forgot his accordian when they went to the air raid shelter-Liesel read from her books during the air raids-Liesel telling Rosa to come yelling when Max woke up (which she did in the movie, but we didn't know that was Liesel's advice).
    I thought they may have left that part out to show Rosa as having more of a warm heart than we thought. That she was so excited that she just had to go running to tell Liesel. 
    F14 Siggy Challenge

I thought they may have left that part out to show Rosa as having more of a warm heart than we thought. That she was so excited that she just had to go running to tell Liesel. 

That's a good point, maybe that was the purpose. I couldn't help but feel like it sort of changed things though. Between the book and the movie.

dx PCOS 2007

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

• abern8abern8 member
    Read it a while back, so my recollection may not be all there. I thought the characters were well developed. I liked that Death was the narrator; it was an original point of view. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other books that do that.
  • @innanni‌ I was wondering where you were! It's never too late to post :)
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • So...when do we vote on our next book? ;)
  • I nominate Memoirs of a Geisha and Cold Mountain.
  • Next book suggestions: 

- The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
    -East of Eden by John Steinbeck
    -Orange is the New Black (and the new season starts June 6!)
    Feb 2014
  • Sorry ladies, I had a meeting this am, so didn't make a suggestion thread. This works well too. I was thinking of something a bit more light hearted and easier to read this time?
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • @Mevaroo‌ There is a movie of Love in the Time of Cholera, but I don't remember it as being very good
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Oh! I suggest Lord of the Flies!

Also, sorry for bailing on this discussion, we had family visiting and then I just got distracted ...

For real? No offense but LotF was like the worst book ever. ;)

I just read the new Lisa Scottoline book and it was pretty good.

Also, I really liked the Book Thief, but I only watched the movie.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• @DisneyPeanut Can I suggest at we all sit down and just watch that movie at the same time? I want to pretend I'm in Greece, wearing that cute white dress and hooking up with the hottie. The idea of magic pants that actually fit also appeals
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Mevaroo said:
    @MissDemeanor‌ I'd also like magically fitting pants!
    @Mevaroo The closest thing I know of to magic pants are Lulu Lemon. They almost make me look like I have an ass
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • I can't think of any of the book titles at the moment... but Jennifer Weiner wrote some that we really easy, relatable reads. 
    Feb 2014
  • Is there a book that talks a lot about food and has a few smutty scenes in it? Seems like something everyone could enjoy ;)
    F14 Siggy Challenge
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"