September 2013 Moms
Options

Using the Toilet

A couple of months ago, I was going to give DS a bath and realized he was about to poop.  I put him on the toilet, and he went and it was super easy to clean him up.  It was awesome!  After that, he was really constipated for a while, and needed help pooping, so I would push his little legs back and coax him to go, and it was like fighting a battle, so after my toilet experience, one time I decided to just sit him on the toilet and see what happened.  He pooped within seconds.  So, then I started to notice him when he was "trying" to go, and I'd run him to the toilet and he'd go.  Fast forward two months, now he doesn't want to go in his diaper, will go within seconds of being put on the potty, and if he doesn't have to go, he won't let me sit him on it.  I have only changed one poopy diaper in the last month.  He has started letting my DH do the same and my daycare provider is now going to start using the same method.  Now, he even pees when I sit him down.  I have heard about parents putting their babies on the toilet and originally I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard, but it really is amazing.  Has anyone else tried this and had success?  Does it continue when they get older?  Will potty training be a breeze?  Or am I just really lucky?  DS will turn 8 months on the 27th. 

Re: Using the Toilet

• Options
    thedashthedash member
    How do you get his clothes and diaper off that fast? DD is done pooping about 10 seconds after the first push so I wouldn't make it. My neighbor did this regularly with her baby but she's now an 18 month old non potty trained toddler so I guess it didn't stick!
    DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    I had posted a question about elimination communication a few months back interested to see if anyone was doing it. Interesting that's it's been working for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just fell into it and thought it was funny and it makes for a good story when people ask what DS is doing nowadays. Not a planned thing, but I'll keep doing it as long as it works. I'm not counting on it for potty training, though.

@thedash DS doesn't go too quickly. It generally takes some effort on his part, so I have ample time! Thanks for sharing about your neighbor!
  • Options
    We practice EC part-time. We've done so with J. and A. as well. I am sure that helped them PT early. 

I think it's funny it gets a fancy name in our culture. There are plenty of places where EC is just what happens. 

I highly recommend Baby Bjorn potty chairs. They are the only brand that both J. and A. could use from a young age. (Other brands they couldn't scoot themselves back far enough to aim into the bowl. Or they were too tippy for them to do so.) But they have both been able to just sit down on the Bjorn and make it work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @brennadaun he poops so fast when I set him on the toilet, it's literally no more than 30 seconds!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"