Northern California Babies

Newborn Coverage and Insurance Issues

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue as me....I'm currently covered through Anthem, but when my baby is born he will be covered under my husband's Kaiser plan. From what I've researched, the labor and delivery at Sutter hospital will be covered under my plan (Anthem), but any of the newborns screening/testing, ex. eye antibiotics, Potassium shot, Pediatric exam etc. done within the first 24 hours of baby's life (hoping that there are no complications) will be billed under Kaiser. Because I'm not having the baby at a Kaiser facility, Kaiser will deny the claims. I've been advised to add the baby to BOTH insurance plans (Anthem and Kaiser) to ensure that everything is covered post delivery. Then to cancel the baby's Anthem plan within the first 30 days after delivery.

Re: Newborn Coverage and Insurance Issues

• From what was explained/what I recall, baby is automatically covered under mom's policy for the first 30 days. We had a set amount of time to enroll LO in it through my employer & had to have her SSN to enroll her (which takes time for it to be sent).

Bear in mind, LO was born in a Kaiser facility almost a year and half ago & it was my Kaiser policy she was added onto later & we had an HMO plan. Must say though, our hospital made it an easy & smooth process for the paper work, explained what we would need and other than needing to request the birth certificate from the county, everything was taken care of for us. They even provided us with copies of the forms to request the birth certificate. They have LOs records from birth & everything is electronic for her health records.

I assume you already called each insurance company? Kaiser was good about being able to identify which plan I had and what my coverages were. Am sure if the expectant father were to call with questions about the policy, they be able to answer how the coverage works & anticipated costs.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"