June 2014 Moms
Options

NBR: Tipping for services

Since the discussion of hiring a cleaning person has come up here, I wanted to ask what people generally tip. I have never had a cleaning person come before, so I have no idea how this works. Is it standard 20%?

Also related, do people usually do 20% for a massage therapist too? I am never sure on this one. I usually tip 20-30% for restaurants because I know waitstaff is paid so little. But I think usually massage professionals aren't relying on tips in the same way...

I feel like I just came off as a cheapskate the way I phrased it. I just wanna know -- what's the norm?

THANKS!

Re: NBR: Tipping for services

• Options
    I pay 20% for all services, including salon/massages. I do not tip the cleaning service though, and I don't really know anyone that does. If it's a company, the fee covers it all and you aren't expected to tip. They do get a xmas tip from us though.

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • Options

I'm glad you asked, I was considering hiring a cleaning service for the first time soon and was wondering the same thing.

For massage therapists, always 18-20 percent.

For the cleaning service I think I"ll throw in a gratuity, but probably won't base it off of the price of the service.  Maybe $10-20?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    rastraurastrau member
    I was wondering about the house cleaner too! I've tipped before only to see they did a pretty terrible job upon later inspection, so I'm torn.

For massage therapists, always 18-20% unless it was super stellar, then more. My sister was a massage therapist and, as PP mentioned, while they aren't paid pennies like restaurant staff they definitely depend on the tips. And it makes sense - you would probably tip your hairdresser, right?
    June '14 June Siggy - Summer Heat!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Craziness. I never would have guessed a massage therapist was not well paid!! I have made some assumptions... Thank you so much for your responses!

I am also surprised a housekeeper would not be expected to get a tip. (I always do at hotels.) I purchased a one-time Groupon for a 3-hr cleaning (back in Nov when I thought I was buying a house), so I think in this case it makes sense to do 20%, as opposed to a weekly service or something.

• Options
    I always tip 20-30%. I grew up in the service industry and know a little goes a long way. Also, the difference is usually a few dollars, but as a server I always calculated the percentage, so I know it means a lot to someone. Share the wealth- what goes around comes around. Also, if the service was so horrible you are tempted to leave less than 15%, you should have the balls to discuss it with a manager.
  • Options
    BMaidPlannerBMaidPlanner member
    edited May 2014
    I am tipping my housecleaner. I am home when she cleans and really like her. She's here right now! No one is perfect, but her job is a lot harder than mine physically and I tend to tip $20. This is a couple bucks more than 20% of what the cleaning costs, but I feel weird giving something like $16 to a person.

I do tip hairdressers, massage therapists, etc as well. Both are actually more money than my cleanings too. 

• Options
    I guess I should clarify, that our cleaning "person" is actually two people, and they are employees of a company. I don't pay them at all, nor do I have interaction with them beyond hello and goodbye. The company charges my card every 2 weeks (we do biweekly) and there is not place for me to actually write in a tip. I think if I was dealing with an individual I would tip. I really think it depends on what you are working with. When in doubt, maybe ask the manager? 

Favorite TV Mom: Tami Taylor
  • Options
    My mom was a hair dresser, sister is a massage therapist and I worked at a housekeeper at a resort. I have never had a housekeeper come to my home, so I can't speak for that. I always tip 20% to my massage therapist and a bit more to my hair dresser (she gives me a killer deal so I tip her more than I should). When I stay at a hotel I leave a tip and strip the bed as well as put all our used towels in the tub. 
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    nutmegs8 said:
    Ooops.  When I had a prenatal massage a few months back, I didn't tip anything, but that's because the masseuse owns her own business in her own house. Is that still okay or was I that asshole customer?

I have a side business doing bridal makeup (which is a service that is usually very tip-dependent), and since I'm the "owner", I don't expect a tip.  Now, that's not saying it isn't damn skippy when someone does tip me, but since I'm keeping 100% of the service charge, I don't judge someone for not tipping me. 

That being said, I have a massage therapist who has his own practice and I always tip him generously, because regardless of him being the owner, he's saved my life on multiple occasions when I've been in pain, and I just think he deserves the extra money.

Long story short, it's up to you, but no, I don't think tipping owners is required.

• Options
    rastraurastrau member
    @nutmegs8 - I think you're fine in a situation where the service provider owns the business, and in this case, has little-to-no overhead. They're getting all of the proceeds already. At a spa or clinic, the therapist usually just gets a percentage of the overall fee from appointments and not even an hourly rate. 

June '14 June Siggy - Summer Heat!

• Options
    I work full time so I have someone clean twice per month. I don't tip at all, and actually she lets her clients set their own rate for what they think she deserves. I pay what I feel is generous because it is such a relief to come home and have a clean house.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"