August 2014 Moms

Non-FDA approved meds?

Hello, I'm a lurker.  This is my third baby (& third boy!), and I've always lurked on each board.  I forgot my log-in for a long time, but with this strange situation, I reset it.  So, basically, I was bleeding from my bum (thanks, hemorrhoids!) quite badly last Thursday.  My husband forced me to go into L&D and it was confirmed that it was from the 'roids and I was given a prescription.

So, I got the prescription and it was $100.  My insurance didn't cover it for some reason, and I finally was able to call them today to find out why.  (It is Anucort-HC, by the way).  The medicine isn't FDA approved! I called the doctor's office and asked my doctor, and they said they stand by the prescription and write it all the time.  But they couldn't answer why it wasn't FDA approved.  I was so frustrated at that point I had to get off the phone, but now I'm out $100 and I'm not really willing to take a medicine that's not FDA approved.

Am I just being hormonal and/or ridiculous about this? I need second opinions and this isn't really something I would post on facebook.

Re: Non-FDA approved meds?

• +RBL++RBL+ member

If it is not FDA approved, you could not get it from a legit pharmacy.

It is illegal to import/export/or sell in any way an unapproved drug.  This is my area of legal expertise.

So, if you got it from a real pharmacy and not some underground way or the internet - it is approved.

Now, if it is approved for a certain indication is another issue.

It is just a rectal hydrocotizone cream - same active ingredients as Preparation H and Cortizone 10.  Or it can be an RX suppository.

If you give me the NDC number, I can look up the FDA approval number and you can give that to your insurance.

ETA - the NDC number should be on the box somewhere. 

NDC:0713-0503
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got the prescription at Walgreens!  So no underground dealings here... at least that I know of!  It was the prescription insurance company that said they didn't cover it because it wasn't FDA approved?  it's an RX suppository, i believe.  I can't imagine what else it could be used for!

NDC: 00713-0503-24
  • Loading the player...
  • +RBL++RBL+ member
    If it is not FDA approved, you could not get it from a legit pharmacy.

False...kind of.

For instance, glyburide is not FDA approved to treat GD in pregnant women...yet it is prescribed all the time.

Wrong. 

Drugs are typically approved for a specific indication.  Once it's approved for any indication a doctor can prescribe an approved drug for whatever they want.  A pharmaceutical company can not advertise a drug for an indication it is not approved by the FDA.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"