Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Not saying momma

My son is 11 months and hasn't said momma and doesnt make the mmmm sound at all. He says other things but just wondering if any other babies arent either.

Re: Not saying momma

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member

If he's making other sounds and 'communicating' then I wouldn't worry about it.  I know a little one that didn't say momma until about 15months.  I know another little girl that didn't say it until 14months, but she could say about 15 other words...including her mothers first name!!  I swear that kid was just doing it drive her momma nuts!!!

My daughter never sat around making the mmm sound.  At 8 months she just started saying "mumm" and "mumma" a very distinct English sounding mum (we are Canadian so it is extra cute).  She would say it when she wanted something or when she was up to no good to get herself out of trouble (not wanting to go to sleep).  It was quite a while later that she started the mmmm sound.

Just keep engaging him.  Make sure other people are calling you mom and saying mom so he hears it.

• My lo is 9.5 months and still dadda's all day long but only once or twice have I heard a mamma sound. He babbles nonsense all the time and will laugh and say dadda's when I try to get a mamma out of him. I think hes doing it on purpose for my reaction
  • Loading the player...
  • 11 months this week and hear a lot of dadadada and bababa. When I try to get her to say mama, she says dada and smiles. I think she's learned "dog" bc it sounds like dow" and she looks at our dogs and smiles. Lot of babbling and loud happy screeching though
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS1 didn't say it until a year. DS2 is 9.5 months and doesn't seem close to saying it.
  • My speech-language-pathologist MIL told me that most babies have a preference for sounds made in the front of their mouth - d's and b's, since they're easier than the other sounds like m's.  I wouldn't worry too much about it, but definitely bring it up with your pedi at your 12 month visit if it continues to worry you!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • There is a HUGE range of normal with speech development. Don't borrow trouble.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"