May 2014 Moms
Options

Help...should I use pacifier??

My baby was born Friday. I have to use a nipple shield due to inverted nipples and he is doing great with nursing. The issue I am having is that after he eats, he still wants to suck. He will eat an entire hour every 2 hours and still cry after and try to put his hands in his mouth. He is having plenty of wet diapers and lots of poops. The lactation consultant watched him eat and he is swallowing frequently so he is getting colostrum when he feeds. The LC and doc both said it is for comfort. As long as he has something in his mouth after feeding, he is fine. He doesn't even suck... Just likes it in there. They recommended we use a clean or gloved pinky finger to let him suck. We do it and it works great but that means no sleep. I am soo tempted to use a pacifier. In my head, I'm already using a shield so it's not like I'm not already using an artificial nipple. If I still feed every 2-3 hours, is it really that bad? The doc confused me a bit because she said today "you can use a pacifier, we just worry about messing up supply" but then there was talk later about pacifiers after milk has come in. What should I do? We can't always have a finger in his mouth when he isn't eating,

Re: Help...should I use pacifier??

• Options
    I have a 2 week old and use a pacifier for the same reason. We had to try a couple kinds to see which she would like best but I can't imagine our lives without it. We've been lucky and she goes between breast, bottle and pacifier with little trouble. Sometimes it takes her a bit longer to latch if she has just had the pacifier but it hasn't been much of an issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm pro pacifier.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    We are using a pacifier with DS2 and used one with DS1 from night 2. My boobs need a break between nursing sessions. For all the talk I've seen online about "nipple confusion" we have never had trouble with either son going between boob and pacifier or boob and bottle. Both are good nursers and using a paci didn't change that.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    We are using a pacifier with DS2 and used one with DS1 from night 2. My boobs need a break between nursing sessions. For all the talk I've seen online about "nipple confusion" we have never had trouble with either son going between boob and pacifier or boob and bottle. Both are good nursers and using a paci didn't change that.
    Same here. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I read somewhere that all the talk of nipple confusion is really just that, talk. That it's pretty rare that there is much of an issue. We never had issues with DD1 and used a paci from day 2 and same so far with DD2 (who is in her crib right now with her paci)
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    I'm mobile, so don't have a link handy but was told at the hospital that it is now recommended (American Academy of Pediatrics, I'm pretty sure) to use a paci by 1 month of age to reduce risk of SIDS. We have been trying to get DS2 to use a paci, just haven't found one he likes yet.
  • Options
    I would use a pacifier. We had a very similar issue with DS when he was born. He never had nipple confusion, it didn't mess with BFing.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• Options
    CVislo said:

I would just use the pacifier in all honesty. Because it's like you said, you can't always have a finger in his mouth.

This.

And as a fellow shield user I wanted to say hello!

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    I'm totally pro paci. While nipple preference is common, it usually only applies to bottles vs breasts; baby prefers the one that gives more milk at a faster rate - duh, who wouldn't? But actual confusion is rare. Babies aren't stupid. One who isn't hungry and just wants to suck will be perfectly content with a pacifier, and most moms find it easy to tell the difference.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I am using a shield as well during some feedings and Myles does the same thing. I am considering using one to soothe him when trying to get him to sleep.
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    I am all for the pacifiers. We've used them with both our boys and never had any issue with it. And my boobs needed a break too.
    image    image

• Options
    We are using one and started at about one week.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    I started using the paci day one. Maybe I should of waited but they said it was for comfort and she has done fine with both. It's not worth losing more sleep because she needs something to suck on after she's done eating.

• Options
    SMM1986SMM1986 member
    We've been using a paci since about week 2 (she wouldn't take it before then) and haven't had any issues. I'd go for it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    haylo33haylo33 member
    Thanks all. We used it and it definitely helped. He still doesn't sleep too long but he isn't crying!
  • Options

I'm mobile, so don't have a link handy but was told at the hospital that it is now recommended (American Academy of Pediatrics, I'm pretty sure) to use a paci by 1 month of age to reduce risk of SIDS. We have been trying to get DS2 to use a paci, just haven't found one he likes yet.

this. I was anti-pacifier until I read that it reduces the risk of SIDS. With DS, he used it until about 4 months and then opted for his thumb.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    ho11yday said:

this. I was anti-pacifier until I read that it reduces the risk of SIDS. With DS, he used it until about 4 months and then opted for his thumb.

This! My ped says yes to pacis. We break our kids of the habit around 18-20 months. Three sad nights and they forget all about it.
  • Options
    When I was in the hospital, the nurses kept giving me conflicting advice on pacifiers during the first few weeks of breastfeeding. Some were for and some were against. When baby boy was 5 days old, the day my milk finally came in, we introduced the pacifier to give my nipples a break. He had no problem going back to my nipple for feedings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My hospital was totally pro paci. I didn't like how they were shoving it in her mouth to solve every problem though. But she never really took to it. I say, it could really help a tough situation and if you find relief from it then go for it!

It's a BOY

• Options
    No stance on pacifier issue, however DD had the same problem the first week, after which she was able to sleep in the bassinet without issue.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I don't have a problem with pacifiers, but honestly I'd wait until your milk comes in. I went through this exact same thing this weekend. He wouldn't leave my boob and when he did he was often difficult to sooth. From what I researched, being on the boob and sucking that often is what stimulates your milk to come in. Sure enough, it came in yesterday and since then he has backed off the frequent sucking and is content between feedings every 2-3 hours. So in a nutshell I'd wait until after your milk comes in to use the paci.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Options
    Viva la pacifier!
  • Options
    kb2bkkkb2bkk member
    I used a sheild with DD1- she was tongue tied and couldn't get a proper latch. It took her until about 3 months to take a paci but once she did her latch improved and we were even able to drop the sheild.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"