Baby Showers
Options

tacky? having guests address their own TY notes.

Has anyone ever been to a shower where the hostess hands out thank-you note envelopes to the guests, has them write their name and address on them, and gives them to the mom-to-be/bride-to-be so she doesn't have to do it herself when she writes the TY notes? Do you think this is tacky?

I'm co-hosting a shower and my fellow hostess insists this is normal. I am sure it's not the worst etiquette breech out there, but IDK, it just seems like one step above having the guests write their own thank-you notes.
baby girl  5.12

Re: tacky? having guests address their own TY notes.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    I wouldn't do this personally, but it's not my hill to die on either.
  • Options
    Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited May 2014
    Writing addresses doesn't take all that long.  We're talking what, 30 seconds ?

Do what you can to stand your ground on this one.
  • Options
    sandrabrookesandrabrooke member
    edited May 2014
    Yes tacky.  Totally.  I hate people who do that.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh I hate when I have to do this. I wrote out the addresses for my thank you notes. Not that hard.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    No. If you want to make sure you get the addresses correctly then you can double check with each guest as they arrive.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited May 2014
    I've been to showers where it was done, and I feel it's super tacky. They did it at one of my in-laws' showers, and she said to me, "This is awesome; you should do it at yours." I told her no; I prefer to address my own. If my host had tried this, I would have said something to stop it. (Unfortunately, my host did do books instead of cards, but I didn't know until it was too late or I would have put the kibosh on that too.)

ETA: Hit post too soon
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    Tacky!!

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Lrtle23Lrtle23 member
    All of my baby-making friends are in their mid-late 20s, and very few of them own houses-- the rest of us are still in apartments and moving around every year or so. E-vites are the norm for bridal and baby showers. It's much easier to send invites from an email contact list than to track each of the guests down before the shower to find out their current address to send the invite, and then expecting the guest of honor to do the same thing in order to send out thank-you notes. 

So I guess I don't see what the big deal is about having guests take 30 seconds to write on an envelope when they walk in, since they know their own address. At least in my own social circle, it makes a lot of sense (and none of us are easily offended by lack of proper etiquette). It also makes it more likely that you'll get a thank-you note at all. 
  • Options
    Lrtle23Lrtle23 member
    That's true, most of the showers I'm going to are thrown by friends for friends. There are usually separate showers thrown by and for family, and they probably do things more traditionally. I'm sure my friends will do it differently in a few years when we're more settled down and have more permanent addresses. 

You're right, it's not that difficult to track down addresses, just an extra step when everyone receiving a thank-you note will be there in person anyway. Everyone collects mailing addresses to send out wedding invites and thank-yous, so it can be done. It's just a pain, as I recall from my wedding. 

If the invites are being sent out in the mail in the first place, then the hostess will already have the addresses by the time of the shower. The best solution is probably to provide the mama with a list of addresses so she doesn't have to collect them herself, and nobody is offended by being asked to write out their own envelope.  
  • Options
    Lrtle23Lrtle23 member
    I always just thought of it as a convenience for the mom-to-be, rather than an inconvenience for guests. If it's her special day, I'm not offended by writing on an envelope to make her life a little easier. I showed up with a gift because I want to celebrate her and the baby, not because I wanted recognition for spending $30 and 2 hours of my time. I imagine if someone refused to write out an envelope or just forgot to write one, the gift recipient would ask for their address later as she was writing the notes. 

Just offering a differing opinion. Again, most of my friends are 20-somethings having their first kids, and are into e-vites and convenient envelopes. 
  • Options
    Lrtle23Lrtle23 member
    Nope, I never said writing addresses while pregnant was a physical hardship. I didn't say anything about finding the strength to do it. I just said it's an inconvenience to track people down after the shower and ask them their address if you don't already have it. It's obviously not difficult to write an address on an envelope, but it can be a pain (or at the very least, unnecessary work) to get ahold of all the party attendees after they leave the party. 

I also suggested that the host could give the guest of honor a list of addresses, since she would presumably have them on hand from sending out paper invites, negating the whole issue. See? We agree. 
  • Options
    vterpvterp member

Lrtle23 said:
    Nope, I never said writing addresses while pregnant was a physical hardship. I didn't say anything about finding the strength to do it. I just said it's an inconvenience to track people down after the shower and ask them their address if you don't already have it. It's obviously not difficult to write an address on an envelope, but it can be a pain (or at the very least, unnecessary work) to get ahold of all the party attendees after they leave the party. 

I also suggested that the host could give the guest of honor a list of addresses, since she would presumably have them on hand from sending out paper invites, negating the whole issue. See? We agree. 
    I think there is also an assumption that since a shower includes your nearest and dearest, you would already have their addresses or it would not be a big deal to get them.  It's not like a wedding where your Mom insists that all of your Dad's cousins and their kids need to be invited.  It's presumably a much smaller circle being included and getting any addresses you may not already have shouldn't be difficult.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker'>v

• Options
    Honestly, it does not bother me to address an envelope when I am at a shower. I think it is tacky, but it ranks low for me on the tackiness scale. But, if I was a co-hostess and this came up? No way.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I've never seen it done, only read about it on here.  Tacky, though I've seen worse.  
  • Options
    VIPRoss said:

Lrtle23 said:

I think there is also an assumption that since a shower includes your nearest and dearest, you would already have their addresses or it would not be a big deal to get them.  It's not like a wedding where your Mom insists that all of your Dad's cousins and their kids need to be invited.  It's presumably a much smaller circle being included and getting any addresses you may not already have shouldn't be difficult.
    That's why I don't get why people feel the need to do this!
  • Options
    Lrtle23Lrtle23 member
    I give up. I'm wrong. We all come from different backgrounds and have different circles of friends, so my justifications aren't going to get anywhere if they clearly aren't being understood. OP asked a question and got a clear consensus from the group. Moving on before someone gets a nosebleed. 
  • Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    debikae said:

I attended one shower that was way tackier than this.  As we left the shower, the MTB handed us an envelope.  In it was a thank you note -- the front of the note said "Thank you..." you opened it up and she had scrawled "...so much for the gift."  I was appalled. 

Ugh.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    edited May 2014
    Lrtle23 said:

If they are close enough to come to your shower, why the hell wouldn't you have their address already?
  • Options
    Funny, cause if i had to do it at someone elses shower, i would think it was tacky. But it seriously crossed my mind at my shower. Don't get me wrong i did do them!! But it was the last thing i wanted to do at 36 weeks. As a friend though im going to your shower because i love you and want to celebrate, i REALLY don't care if i don't get a thank you card.
  • Options
    I've never considered it to be tacky, but then every baby shower I've gone to for the past 4+ years has done it so it could just be that I'm used to it. Most showers I've gone to then use the envelopes to do a prize drawing at the end of the party, I've also never felt like I had to fill one out the envelopes were just there if I wanted to.

Though I did go to one shower where the cards had accidentally been left in the envelopes and when MTB got around to writing the cards she realized that a couple of the guests had already written ones to themselves, along the lines of you are my favorite and I loved your gift more than anyone else's.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Tacky. 
    Team Pink!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely horrid. I have asked hostesses of my showers specifically not to do this and not to hold raffles.

An IL who I have given gifts for engagement, bridal shower, wedding, baby shower AND baby's birthday has done this wretched practice at EVERY event. I have NEVER gotten that thank you back, which makes it even worse. I have stopped putting much thought or $ into gifts because of how entitled and ungrateful she comes across.
  • Options
    It's not as high on my "Tacky" list as throwing your own shower or having a display shower, but I do find it rude. Would I refuse to do it for a friend? No...but it would irritate me a bit, granted, I have close friends whose addresses i don't have; for example, one of my friends used to live with her parents and recently moved in with her boyfriend; I haven't been to their place yet and don't have their address. However, it doesn't take but a second to text or Facebook her to ask "What's your address?"

• Options
    rae76rae76 member
    Handwritten thank you envelopes always remind me of getting PAP results at my OB/Gyn's office.  They always had us address our own pink envelope to mail the results in, so anytime I see an envelope that I've addressed myself that's the first thing I think of. :)
  • Options
    It's so tacky my fingers are sticking to the keys of my laptop as I write this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"